• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Dismal viewing figures for S14.

P

Prestwick

Telegraph: Black clouds gather for Sky

Sky let the cat out of the bag when it revealed a huge slump in viewing figures for the Super 14 with this season's most watched match attracting a grand 269,400 viewers, not even enough to put it in the top 10 watched matches of last season.

Even with New Zealand's stars back with their teams, viewing figures are sluggish, surprising considering that the festival of rugby that is the Rugby World Cup is in only a few months time!

With France odds on to field a squad of unknowns on their tour of New Zealand this summer, the onus is on the Kiwi fanbase to vote with their feet.

Note: also scan down the page to "Southern Effrontery". Personally, I always thought Brendan Gallagher had a grudge against the SH so take both articles with a pinch of salt and bias that it deserves.

Well, its pretty much still cricket season in NZ, especially with the Cricket World Cup on now. Sure most rugby fans are into the Super14 now, but once cricket season is over, expect them to join the rugby viewing.

You are seriously suggesting that Kiwis would forsake Rugby for Cricket? I always though Rugby was your number one sport!

Personally I don't think its that bad but to think that New Zealand liked cricket more than rugby?

seriously i think the super 14 is getting old, think about it. It's the same players playing each other season after season.

It goes from the same players playing against each other during the Tri Nations to the same players playing each other in the Super 14, i think its getting monotonous already.

seriously i think the super 14 is getting old, think about it. It's the same players playing each other season after season.

It goes from the same players playing against each other during the Tri Nations to the same players playing each other in the Super 14, i think its getting monotonous already. [/b]

You do realise this happens in every sport, non? Players at the top of their game will generally play each other year on year until they retire.

Anyway, the Super 14 this year has been fantastic. Whoever dowsn't watch it is missing out.

I used to love the 'Super' competition.
Super 12 was the highlight of my week when i was younger, but as of late I've just not been enjoying the games as much.
And i relaly can't put my finger on it.
I am enjoying certain teams (Western Force), but there's something about the tournament that's just made it lose it's appeal to me.

****, Western Force just got whacked by Crusaders in one of the most frightening displays of power from a club team anytime, anywhere. But NZ rugby is strange and self-involved - long may it continue.

You are seriously suggesting that Kiwis would forsake Rugby for Cricket? I always though Rugby was your number one sport!

Personally I don't think its that bad but to think that New Zealand liked cricket more than rugby?
[/b]

Cricket is our 'summer' game. And this is the Cricket World Cup, and for the first time, we actually have a chance of winning it. So of course the interest will be high in the Cricket World Cup.

We know our teams will make the semis in the Super14, so most will probably tune in for those. But until then, most will be keen to see how the Black Caps go.

There's about 10 months of rugby to watch per year nowadays.

I think that eventually people do start to care a little less. I'm still happy about it, but lets face it, the fringe fans aren't.

I'm still enjoying it. I have manage to at least do my part and make it to the ground to watch a few of the Blues home games (thank God I didnt go last week :p ).

I can't get enough of it since being starved of it for so long due to moving to aus earlier this year. the cricket world cup is proabbly affecting the viewing audience a bit for the casual viewer but once the world cup finishes and super 14 heads into the semis more people will be watching.

Latest posts