• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Do Prem team suffer during WC / Six Nations

Q

Quoling

With teams like Wasps having so many players away at the moment and soon again in February - should it not be a chance for a central contract for English players? - this would mean clubs can concentrate on the players they have all the time, and still get paid - plus when tournaments come around - England (and of course other teams) will be well prepared and injury free.

Central contracts will be the death knoll for English rugby; Look at what's happened to the Welsh and Irish this year as an example.

The club system brings youngsters up through the ranks and develops them as they gain experience (which is obvious). Central contracts would mean the clubs, which are all profesional outfits whom have to look after their own interests, would have to hand controling power of their prize assets over to the union, who in turn could do with them as they please. Considering the nepotism and "punch'n'Judy" politics that runs rampent in the game, that mean the RFU could happily take one clubs star player and move them to another club which happens to be more sympathetic to Francis Barons phelatic needs (e.g. Quins have a row over an issue with the RFU and suddenly Strettle is moved to Bath).

Central Contracts = BAD.

Yeah man, as Teh Mite said, all central contracts do is put the power firmly in the hands of the union rather than the clubs bosses.

The real question is what is the best distribution of power? After the recent developments it seems like they're nearing a fairly acceptable equalibrium there.

I think evey manager knows who is gonna be gone for the Six nations and World Cups and they usually have more than enough cover for those positions. If they don't have decent cover thats more the managers fault. I mean look at Sale the Manager must have known that Cueto, Sheridan, Chabal, Bruno, White. Lobbe borthers would all go to the world cup. So during the summer he brought in players who were either young and deserved the shots in those places or who were just reasonable player who wouldn't leave the for the world cup. K some of the purchases weren't just for that.

The sides with the most internationals, i.e. Leicster, Wasps will suffer were as the weaker sides will obviously gain

As do already strong sides like Glos and Sarries who have less players called up for WC.

the spectacle of rival games kind of diminishes as well. Gloucester v Worcester the other week kind of went under the radar because of the RWC, although it was still a sell out, could have been a bigger game with the RWC players playing

it would make more sense to have the world cup during the off season so teams do not lose players like this

Look at Worcester though... Havili, Lutui, Crichton, Horsman and Tuapeameao?!?! only missing during RWC!
Didn't do them much good!!!
Whereas the bigger clubs, Leicester, Wasps etc had enough good players to cover!

Sale have certainly suffered- coming back this weekend are Chabal, Cueto, Sheridan, Lobbe and Lobbe- all WRC {semi}finalists. Playing against them this weekend? Bath, with Matt Stevens, Olly Barkley and Butch James all fresh from the WC.

Sale have certainly suffered- coming back this weekend are Chabal, Cueto, Sheridan, Lobbe and Lobbe- all WRC {semi}finalists. Playing against them this weekend? Bath, with Matt Stevens, Olly Barkley and Butch James all fresh from the WC. [/b]

true but looking at sale if all the world cup players weren't away sale wouldn't have given as much game time to people like Ben Foden, Neil Briggs or Tait. All players that would have been on the fringe but due to the internationals have been able to prove they can play at this level.

Yeah with out question clubs suffer!
Look at Bristol we lost a big match player Regan,lemi and Perry!
I don't mind it when a player wants to play for there country, i just don't the way they are being controlled and treated like Regan when he played for the Barbarians when not the club the owners of the league said he couldn't. You can't control players,if the want to play for there country or club it works both ways they will!There is to much money involved in rugby now it's going the way of football.We should treat are players with more respect for club and country and let the have there own freewill. Clubs and Countries will have to just make the best of what they have got.

The IRB just needs to set up a universal calendar. I think that is the plain and simple (well, maybe not in application) way to fix the whole mess that is world rugby.

The IRB just needs to set up a universal calendar. I think that is the plain and simple (well, maybe not in application) way to fix the whole mess that is world rugby. [/b]

At the moment they are stuck in their negotiations with the UNO to add seven weeks to a year.

<div class='quotemain'> The IRB just needs to set up a universal calendar. I think that is the plain and simple (well, maybe not in application) way to fix the whole mess that is world rugby. [/b]

At the moment they are stuck in their negotiations with the UNO to add seven weeks to a year.
[/b][/quote]

lol mabye rugby could invent it's own calendar and time zone...

anyone for rugby savings time?

I'd say it depends on the club and how many internationals they have...but yeah some outfits definitely take a hit

To be honest, the only clubs that suffer are Leicester, Wasps and Bath, Bath especially because you remove one player and the whole thing falls apart :lol:

Saracens always make hay while the sun shines (usually during the weeks in November, February and March) and in any case, we have alot of talent coming up from the Academy to cover any losses we may take through England selection.

Latest posts