• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Do you know what....

L

locksley

.... Jonah Lomu Rugby is STILL the Greatest Rugby game ever created!

And one of the main reasons it's so playable, is due to it having a "Jump" button! Putting a bomb up over the try-line, then timing the jump yourself was brilliant! The kicking system was amazing, yet very simple and the defensive side of the game was just as good as the attack!

Ok, the graphics are sorely dated, there's no substitutions, injuries, suspensions etc and a whole host of teams and features aren't present, but the one thing that game has in Spades, is the most important thing.... PLAYABILITY!

Love it!!!!

<

I would have to disagree there locks.. I'd have to say that Stacey Jones is the best game ever. I love the big hits & high tackles. I find it as addictive as Lomu, and if Sidhe gang will keep up the good work in the sequel, they knick best 2 games ever!!
<

Of course any game over time will or should exceed its predeccesors.

Jonah was well and truly ahead of its time. On a PS1 the framerate was very smooth and the graphics were not too bad either with pitch dirtying stuff, etc. But it's gameplay was truly superb for the day and sadly enough it's fast pace action is still yet to be matched. Stacy Jones may be good with some details but gameplay wise it is a bit slow and tedious.

I remember when I first got a PC back in 97 and had JL Rugby, IRL, Cricket97 and FIFA 97. Little did we realise that 7 years later we'd be looking back and still seeing them as a benchmark for quality gameplay (well maybe not IRL so much
<
)

I just found my copy of the game. It's so fun.
can someone give me the buttons and some gameplay tips?

Originally posted by ACER@Sep 19 2004, 08:38 PM
If it's the PS1 version you've got, then the controls are:

ATTACK
D-Pad or Left analog Stick (Not many people know this!!!) - Move Player
L1/R1 - Pass left/Right
L2/R2 - Miss man pass Left/Right
Triangle - Run
X - Punt (If pushed facing your own line, this puts a bomb up) + Jump
CIRCLE - Grubber (tap), Drop Goal (Hold)
L1 + R1 - Sidestep
L1 + L2 - Handoff
R1 + R2 - Handoff

DEFENCE
L1 or R1 or SQUARE - Change Player
Triangle - Run
Circle - "Standing" Tackle (Stops hand offs)
X Diving Tackle

There are so, so many tips I could give you for this game, but it'd be like writing a novel!!!! I'm sure everyone on this forum will add their own tips to this thread!

One tip I will give you though is this:

LEARN TO OFFLOAD.... When you've got the ball, keep the pass button HELD IN, as you're tackled, release the pass button and you'll sweetly offload the ball!!!!

Originally posted by locksley+Sep 19 2004, 09:17 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locksley @ Sep 19 2004, 09:17 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-ACER
@Sep 19 2004, 08:38 PM

ATTACK
L1/R1 - Pass left/Right
Triangle - Run
L1 + R1 - Sidestep
L1 + L2 - Handoff
R1 + R2 - Handoff

DEFENCE
Triangle - Run
X Diving Tackle

There are so, so many tips I could give you for this game, but it'd be like writing a novel!!!! I'm sure everyone on this forum will add their own tips to this thread!

LEARN TO OFFLOAD.... When you've got the ball, keep the pass button HELD IN, as you're tackled, release the pass button and you'll sweetly offload the ball!!!! [/b]
Thanks alot locksley. very helpful stuff.
Could you explain the bomb a bit more. cheers

Originally posted by ACER+Sep 20 2004, 03:25 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ACER @ Sep 20 2004, 03:25 PM)</div>
Originally posted by locksley@Sep 19 2004, 09:17 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-ACER
@Sep 19 2004, 08:38 PM

ATTACK
L1/R1 - Pass left/Right
Triangle - Run
L1 + R1 - Sidestep
L1 + L2 - Handoff
R1 + R2 - Handoff

DEFENCE
Triangle - Run
X Diving Tackle

LEARN TO OFFLOAD.... When you've got the ball, keep the pass button HELD IN, as you're tackled, release the pass button and you'll sweetly offload the ball!!!!
Thanks alot locksley. very helpful stuff.
Could you explain the bomb a bit more. cheers [/b]
No Probs!

If you've got the ball in hand, turn the player around so that his back is to the defensive line, then hold "X" and move the arrow. When "X" is released the ball will be put high into the air, giving you time to run under it and catch it! This is where the Jump button comes in so well, as you can time your jump to perfection both in attack and defence!

Truly Brilliant!!!!

I hate to say it guys, but JLR is ordinary at best! Everyone has romantisised it to death over the past 8-10 years and have actually brainwashed themselves into ignoring its mountain of flaws... True it was fun to play for a time, but personally I wouldn't play it over the original PS2 Rugby... It's just not that good!

Latest posts