by performing the tradional haka infront of their
opponents. This is not just a way for New Zealand to
motivate themselves but also strikes fear in the eyes
of their onlookers. Kobus Wiese, South African lock in
the World Cup 1995 final, said the following: "The only
way to counter the haka is to stair the players straight
in the eye without looking away and by playing them
of the field with the wright attitude. Say how you feel
when you hear the roar of the haka........

That whole post would have just flamed an argument.
We've all had enough (NZers and otherwise) in arguing negatively about this.

RC

It would probably psych me up for the game and I would savor every moment of it!

Has no place on a rugby pitch. Tradition me arse.

Kinda cool to watch, but I subscribe to the Campese/Hastings thoery.

Has no place on a rugby pitch. Tradition me arse.

Kinda cool to watch, but I subscribe to the Campese/Hastings thoery. [/b]

The Wallabies also suscribed to that theory one fateful day in 1996 at Athletic Park. The result? They lost 43-6 in a middle of hurricane force rain and winds.

And go ask the Italians what happened to them in the first 15 minutes when they igonred the Haka.

I dont think it has the effect it used to. Before 87 they only performed it at away games. Its shock value has been severely diluted (for audiences anyway) and i believe that it serves only to psych the all blacks up for the game, not intimidate the opposition

Look what happens when you disrespect the Haka as a few members have stated above, and (yes I know this isnt in Union) remember Kiwi's vs. Kangaroo's, good old Willy Mason smiled during the haka then later on Whamo! he is on the ground after a massive hit by Kidwell and has a swallon eye.

Sure, teams that disrespect the haka lose. Then again, hold on, teams that respect the haka lose as well. pffffffff.

My point is, that it actually has nothing to do with rugby, and could potentially give the AB's an unfair advantage. While we slated the WRU for removing the Haka from the game in the millenium Stadium, they had a point. A team should be given a right to respond. If the AB's dont play fair and allow this, then let em do it in the dressing room.

Chances are they are going to win the match anyway, so who gives a ****.

If you look at it objectively and remove the tradition & history surrounding it it's just a form of legitimised bullying. "You WILL stand around meekly and watch our war-dance. Failure to do so will be seen as a cultural snub".

If you remove the pumping up of a the ABs or any potential intimidating of their opponents it still puts the other team in their place psychologically 'cause the only acceptable thing to do is to stand their in submission to it. It wouldn't matter if they ABs were just all downing a Lucozade, the fact that the other team has to stand there and wait for them to do it puts them in their place.

Very well put royalbluestuey! But standing still and facing the haka has become routine over the last decade and thus is more of a formality than anything else, therefore the crowd, audience and players alike know that it is not always necessarily a sign of respect for the All Blacks (though many teams may well respect the haka and AB's) but more of a tiresome ceremony that has to be done to start the game.

P.S. im not trying to disrespect the haka etc etc. so dont go all PC on my arse

It has become just some what of a formality to watch the haka but all my years on this earth I've never seen rugby without it so why change it??

Maybe does give the All Blacks an unfair advantage but if so, than other countries should do something at the beginning of a game to psyche themselves up too instead of just watching it.

Sure, teams that disrespect the haka lose. Then again, hold on, teams that respect the haka lose as well. pffffffff.

My point is, that it actually has nothing to do with rugby, and could potentially give the AB's an unfair advantage. While we slated the WRU for removing the Haka from the game in the millenium Stadium, they had a point. A team should be given a right to respond. If the AB's dont play fair and allow this, then let em do it in the dressing room.

Chances are they are going to win the match anyway, so who gives a ****. [/b]

The WRU did not remove the Haka from the field they stated that Wales would responed either by the national anthem or by Hugh Gwynne Jones serenading with Bread of Heaven which the All Black's did not agree with so they did it in their changng rooms!

To be honest If teams are not allowed to responed then teams should refuse to stand in front of the haka!

The WRU did not remove the Haka from the field [/b]
Sorry, I knew whose responsibility it was, it was just lazy English. Your right to clarify it though.

I've never seen rugby without it so why change it?? [/b]
Well you could also ask, why do the New Zealanders change it? The tradition itself has changed to a huge degree so the Haka of today is practically unrecognisable to the one of 20 years ago.

To be honest, i dont think many people care too much either way, but if there is a chance it could give a team an advantage it shouldnt be allowed ................ or ................... it should be done before the Anthems, not before kick-off.

for me, it sets the tone aye, the better, the more passionate haka the more hyped up i get lol like the one where tana first led it.

I suppose its a good tradition and i dont think it has any effect on the game whatsoever. The world would be a pretty boring place if we got rid of all the weird and wonderful traditions in sport because it was thought that they might provide some small unfair advantage.

The only reason an opposition team would be affected by the Haka is if they don't have the mental strength and maturity to pass it off as a ceremony

But then we'd be arguing how the reply gives the opposition an unfair advantage :wacko:

Why moan about it now days why didnt you moan about it 20 years ago? Hold up you werent born yet :)

Latest posts