• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Doug Howlett

I think you're right about Sivivatu...

I got slammed in another thread for saying this but I don't think the Rocket man has been as dynamic as he was a couple of years ago... and at the moment the other two guys in the squad are showing that they deserve to be in the starting XV... [/b]

I totally agree with you on that point. Roks has been really stagnant this year.

I hope to hell Howlett doesn't break the 15 tries Lomu set; or any other player in the future for that matter. Its the only tangible mark Lomu has left on the game. Other than say the countless Youtube tribute complilations and that image of him stomping a mudhole in Catt.

I reckon he's rather underated. Mainly because he's a grafter and not that flashy. [/b]

Totally agree with this.

New Zealands dynasty of awesome All Black wingers was given a different taste when Howlett entered the scene. Hes not what weve been used to in Lomu and Wilson and Cullen or even Kirwan who could spark something from nothing - gamebreakers. But when we look at his career as a whole...its quite impressive. Played every year for the ABs since his debut in 2000 which is pretty consistent for a winger and is now reaping the benefits, breaking the tryscoring record for NZ. Hes like the loose forward of the backs. Always in support of the player who makes a break no matter how far he was, yet wasnt always used, probably only half the time. Also made an art of flirting with the touchline on the way to dotting down for a try. Best one was the 2003 trinations against the boks in pretoria where the ABs routed South Africa by 50 points. Thats a 'wow' moment.