• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Dylan Hartley ?

LooseHeadProp87

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Exeter
whats your thoughts guys he has been getting some stick on twitter and of brian moore about his hooking ?? his lineout is world class and decent in the loose. the hooking part is hard having hooked a few times its more tricky than it looks and can depend on a decent feed from the 9.

He's all right.
Not particularly standout in any aspect of his game, but does pretty well at the lot.

The stick he was getting from Moore was justified when it showed the replay: he didn't strike for the ball. He rectified it for the next scrum and struck from then on.

It's an awkward situation in an under pressure scrum - he lifts his leg to hook and we lose a man resisting Irelands 8man shove, which had us under great pressure, and we'd go backwards pretty rapidly.
But then don't hook and we either get pinged for feeding or risk a turnover.

Umm Dylan always hooks for his club. I think it was the pressure of the Irish scrum which meant he was under pressure.

some of you will no when you hook and your scrum is under pressure it is so hard to hook as soon as that foot lifts you give them the upper hand. in my opinon hartley is up there with the best

Moore has his pants in a twist about hookers actually hooking and makes more of it than he should.

I don't like Hartley. I don't like his disciplinary record and I feel his play in the loose is, generally, painfully average. I would love for one of the young talents to come through and take the shirt. But he's done nothing wrong recently and more power to his arm if he keeps it up.

I would love for one of the young talents to come through and take the shirt. But he's done nothing wrong recently and more power to his arm if he keeps it up.
This is how I feel, too.
He's a good stopgap option as he doesn't really do anything wrong (if he keeps his cool, that is), but he doesn't really blow me away with any aspect of his play.

Cowan-Dickie has started to get game time for Exeter, which is exciting. He doesn't look very good atm, but he's only had two games in the prem (I think?) so it's to be expected really.
Tommy Taylor playing incredibly well at Sale, as well.

i know a lot dont like tom youngs atm but if he sorted his lineout problems out he would be class his play in the loose and scrum are really good and his defendinh really impresses me.

How's Cowan-Dickie's throwing? You'd expect that to be the big issue as a late convert, if he gets that right and if he's big enough for the man's game (surely), then he looks like caps sooner or later.

Haven't seen much of Sale but know you're excited about Taylor, hopefully Europe will get sorted as right now Sale are on track to use that as a platform for the likes of him and Harrison next year.

Jamie George has progressed nicely. I still have high hopes for Mike Haywood although I wish he'd move from Saints. Rob Buchanan might become something. There's possibilities out there, just need someone to make it count...

How's Cowan-Dickie's throwing? You'd expect that to be the big issue as a late convert, if he gets that right and if he's big enough for the man's game (surely), then he looks like caps sooner or later.
Hasn't been great so far, but I can't remember how it was for u20s. It could be a case of nerves from his first few appearances in the Premiership rather than lack of ability.
Haven't seen much of Sale but know you're excited about Taylor
It's not just me - I remember before the Bath game, on BT Sport, Gary Gold specifically named Taylor as someone they were worried about, and other players (in that pre-match warmup interview thing) naming Taylor as a danger man.
Really excited for the future, presuming we can keep hold of him and Harrison....

definitely solid, but nothing revolutionary. I haven't ever noticed a whole lot of him besides hooking duties, like in the loose...

LCD's throwing itself looked technically good - speedy, straight, good height and sympathetic.
There were some timing issues initially but his completition % improved markedly towards the end of the match.
Communication was the issue rather than technique - which is very positive given how recently he moved to Hooker.
% was v.low though... 66%.

I can't remember how the Chief's scrum was going before he came on, but it wasn't going that well when he was on.
Although his hooking was actually very good - a little too good in fact... the ball rolled out the back on one occasion.
He can hook, not sure about his scrummaging.

According to the Chief's website he's 112kg which is much bigger than average.
I'd imagine his strength is still maturing, and his scrummaging will improve in line with that over the next year or so.
He's still just as mobile as he was, and was a proper nuisance at the breakdown - he earned at least one holding on penalty that wasn't awarded.

Won't be long once he starts getting regular game-time.

Last edited:
Olyy, can Hartley really be a 'stop gap' when he has over 50 caps? I think he's probably the best all round hooker in England (well overall, on form Dave Ward is better now) don't really see anyone challenging him until after the next World Cup.

harry thacker in a few years will be a great hooker

Saw him play in a Tigers/Ospreys game in the LV before Christmas. Looked good but I was under the impression he is (another) convert from centre. Clearly Tigers have too many crash ball back in their academy! His throwing seemed okay from what I remember but if the Youngs experience is anything to go by I'd be inclined to belive he's going to struggle to make the big time.

Latest posts