• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Dylan Hartley ?

Saw him play in a Tigers/Ospreys game in the LV before Christmas. Looked good but I was under the impression he is (another) convert from centre. Clearly Tigers have too many crash ball back in their academy! His throwing seemed okay from what I remember but if the Youngs experience is anything to go by I'd be inclined to belive he's going to struggle to make the big time.

Thacker and Youngs completely different types of players, Thacker played centre, full back and fly half and has a much higher skill set than Youngs he isn't just a crash ball runner. His size is the one concern. I thing cockers views Thacker as 3rd choice hooker for next season. He has a lot of talent. Also his lineout throwing has been good and is better than Tom youngs.

Olyy, can Hartley really be a 'stop gap' when he has over 50 caps?
Maybe stop gap is the wrong phrase - I just think he's really average, and we shouldn't just settle for that.
Not saying there's necessarily a better option right now, though.

If Thacker was a proper back then it sounds like his loose play and throwing could probably be better than Youngs'. I'm assuming Tigers will do what they did to Youngs, spend the summer feeding Thacker steak and making him lift.

Maybe stop gap is the wrong phrase - I just think he's really average, and we shouldn't just settle for that.
Not saying there's necessarily a better option right now, though.

Ah fair enough! I know what you mean, he's very solid in all areas. However in almost every individual aspect of his game there is at least one other hooker who is better than him, but doesn't have Hartleys jack of all trades type versatility.

height has nothing to do with it for the hooker role weight is more of an issue

It wouldn't matter if all the front row was roughly the same height.
It is an issue when your props' shoulders are 5 inches higher than your hookers' and they're trying to get a good bind.

Height is a primary determining factor in athleticism, particularly in how much weight they can carry - Bismark Du Plessis has the ability to carry an extra 16kg of weight over Tom Youngs.

Last edited:
Suppose it will be interesting to see how Leicester goes about Thacker, his lineouts from what I have seen is good, and he is good at the breakdown, his dad Troy was a former Tigers hooker for 5 years before retiring due to injury, he also has at least 1 brother in the tigers youth system.

What weight would you guys reckon a hooker should be to play top flight rugby?

Cockerill take on Thacker.

"You could look at Harry Thacker and think, 'He is going to be too small'," said Cockerill.

"But I have watched him train and you can't worry about that. You have to judge him on what you see.

"Every time he has stepped up at senior level he has not struggled and, against the Ospreys, he didn't struggle again.

"At some point, he may well struggle because of his size. But if he fills out as much as his dad has done, he will be all right.

"He works hard and he has got a great attitude. He has pushed himself forward again and put pressure on people like Neil Briggs. Can he do that in the Premiership against bigger and stronger sides? We'll have to wait and see."

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/L...tory-20081861-detail/story.html#ixzz2v0IvtwNP

"At some point, he may well struggle because of his size. But if he fills out as much as his dad has done, he will be all right.

I agree with what Richard is saying. The guy is a very good rugby player - but he is miniscule.

There's not really a "minimum" but the smaller hookers are hovering just above 100kg - so Harry will probably be aiming to get to around that mark.
Talent will take a player far, but being as small as he is will not make it easy.

I think you're underrating him. Remember that he was probably the 2nd choice hooker for the lions were it not for injury

Sorry lads i meant to reply to olly about Hartley. Using my phone

I thought he missed the lions because of his big mouth.

Yeh that was pretty much it lol personally I think Gatland was taking him to be first choice hooker . Hartley has only himself to blame for it . He's come back really positively this year

Hartley's the most consistent in my opinion. Like others have said he's not a stand out, he doesn't do anything spectacular but everything he does do, he does well

Hartley's the most consistent in my opinion. Like others have said he's not a stand out, he doesn't do anything spectacular but everything he does do, he does well

I think people are looking for the wrong thing with forwards. Stand out = hartleys line out stats, his tackle count most games. That in my option is standout because it stands out compared to other hookers.

Latest posts