• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

EA Sports Rugby 14 - A Glimmer of Light?

CCCakumbra

Academy Player
Country Flag
UK
Club or Nation
Ulster
I think we can all agree that we would like EA Sports to have one more shot at making a Rugby game for modern day platforms/consoles. With the resources and economic assets that they have, it really could be a fantastic game.

I have always believed that, although interest in such a game among rugby fans goes without saying, there was really no means of effectively grabbing EA's attention with it.

This lead to myself and a few others setting up a designated Twitter and Facebook 'campaign' so to speak with the main aim of showing EA that there is indeed interest in such an idea, something which I think they underestimate greatly.

As of now, the facebook page ***led 'Petition for EA to make Rugby 14' has 40,453 likes. Also, our twitter account '@EASPORTSRUGBY' has 9,549 Followers.
We would really appreciate your guys help. If you have a facebook and/or a twitter account, it would really help our campaign if you could give us a like on Facebook and a Follow on Twitter.

To finish (and to give you guys an idea how well it has gone so far) I have compiled a list of professional players who have either followed us at some point, or given us a retweet. We hope you can help us too, and if you feel we are doing a good job, please spread the word.

Thanks a lot,

Cameron

Link to Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/petitionforeatomakerugby

Link to Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/EASPORTSRUGBY

List of professional recognition received on twitter:

Zac Guidford, Ryan Lamb, Rory Best, Nick Abendanon, Stephen Ferris, Jacques Burger, Dan Tuohy, Charlie Sharples, Brad Barritt, Andy Powell, Ryan Caldwell, Lee Byrne, Carlin Isles, Liam Williams, Freddie Burns, Cai Griffiths, Dan Biggar, Cory Jane, Todd Clever, Dan Bowden, Andy Kyriacou, Callum Black, Mike Phillips, Chris Czeckai, Dan Vu, Danny Care, Lewis Moody, Tom Voyce, Chris Henry, Alun-Wyn Jones, Shane Williams, Tim Visser, James Haskell, Lee Mears, Matt Giteau, Danny Cipriani, Chris Robshaw, Matt Stevens, Manu Tuilagi, George North, Pierre Spies, Alex Cuthbert, Bryan Habana, Ben Foden, Leigh Halfpenny, and last but not least, England Professional Cricketer Samit Patel.

Last edited:
I wish they would, talk about dropping a great sport I don't think they have a clue personally.

Absolutely. It's so frustrating. Also they could probably use many aspects from Madden for it as well. Not as if they have to create a brand new engine for it!

EA never made a rugby game, they published the ones made by HB Studios, who also made the RWC2011 game.

Rugby Challenge 2 is 10 x better than any EA game made so far and i'd rather petition them to make a rugby challenge 3 with a better carrier mode than EA to make another half arsed attempt.

This is sort of pointless in my view. EA aren't a particularly good company at making what you might term 'experimental' or 'fringe' sports games... They don't put the resources in, they rush the devs and then often release half-baked products that then fail on the market.

Ironically, EA is only likely to come in with the necessary investment and skills once other publishers and studios (like Sidhe and HES) start producing ***les that bring in a strong profit.

The EA 08 rugby game was pretty terrible tbh. I actually like the Rugby Challenge series better than it and the RWC2011 game. The Rugby Challenge series no doubt needs a lot of work to meet the standards of any other sports game released nowadays but it has the potential to be a very good series, just give Tru Blu some more time with it.

Last edited:
To be honest, I'd rather play Grand Theft Auto anyway. :rolleyes:

I support this petition

C'mon buddies!

Great, thanks CS!

This is sort of pointless in my view. EA aren't a particularly good company at making what you might term 'experimental' or 'fringe' sports games... They don't put the resources in, they rush the devs and then often release half-baked products that then fail on the market.

Ironically, EA is only likely to come in with the necessary investment and skills once other publishers and studios (like Sidhe and HES) start producing ***les that bring in a strong profit.

At the end of the day, I was only asking for some support as a lot of hard work has gone into what we have done so far. I thought that posting here might appeal to some people who as of yet haven't seen or heard what we are trying. If you do not feel that way inclined then that is entirely your decision.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, I was only asking for some support as a lot of hard work has gone into what we have done so far. I thought that posting here might appeal to some people who as of yet haven't seen or heard what we are trying. If you do not feel that way inclined then that is entirely your decision.

Don't take it the wrong way mate, I would love more work into Rugby video games. I just think that an awful lot of people suffer from a continuing misconception regarding the type of company EA is. This line in particular was what my post was about:

With the resources and economic assets that they have, it really could be a fantastic game.

It represents a very superficial understanding of the industry and disregards some truly awful efforts that have been put forward by EA for Rugby. As I said in my original post, EA - primarily a publisher and not a developer themselves - may have massive resources, but they simply will not use them for a sport like Rugby, because the economics just don't stack up. Sure, they could invest US$20 million in making a seriously world class rugby game by utilising their Madden and FIFA dev teams or giving the project to another extremely talented developer with nothing else on their plate. The reality is they never have though, and it will take a significant shift in market sentiment (and global rugby popularity among gaming males) to change it.

EA decided to give Rugby to HB Studios back in '02 and then rushed them brutally, provided them with **** all resources and forced an early release of the game to capitalise on the Rugby World Cup. The result? EA Rugby 2004 - possibly one of the worst (if not THE worst) sports games ever produced (and it had "EA Sports" right there on the front). The next two efforts from HB were considerable improvements on this (but still no where near Madden or FIFA), but then they had to be after the awful effort that preceded it. Ultimately though, they just didn't sell well enough for EA to continue providing any investment in the series, and HB were left to ponder their next ***le themselves (which they acted on with their official Rugby World Cup game).

In my view, what you're better off doing is trying to build support for Sidhe's "Rugby Challenge" series. If that game starts pulling in millions, then EA will sit up and take notice again.

i dont think EA thinks that rugby games are profitable enough

Bingo. It's an odd thing though really - Rugby has a pretty significant following in a fair few places, but there doesn't seem to much of a gaming market for it.

Judging from the graphics and the layout of FIFA 14 and the new madden game (25 I think ?) a rugby game would be pretty good but I think making an rugby ultimate team would be a first for the sport and get other people into wanting the game even if it's just for the ultimate team. I only bough madden 13 cos of the ultimate team and when FIFA 14 is at a very low price I'll buy that for the ultimate team. Like someone else said HB studios need EAs backing to produce a truly good rugby game. EA should also listen and look at the amount of professional players who support the backing of a new rugby game as this could help with player likenesses and also get other players within there club to support the fight for
example backing from ben foden could get players like George north and Courtney lawes more involved. Also backing from shame williams could add more further a field leagues such as the Japanese league.

Does any one know where i get this game ??????????????:) Scotty, Mavrick Jonah Lumo Rugby PS1 Game 95!

Latest posts