• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

EDF Crowd Trouble

D

danny

Ive just come back home from meeting some friends at the pub and I was alarmed to hear their story of Saturdays EDF semi-final day at Coventry. They told me that there was a real football element to the Ospreys and Cardiff fans and there was quite a few scuffles throughout the day. They fought with each other and this is backed up by the Glaws fans site (shedweb). What do our Osprey and Cardiff members make of this. I have been to Cardiff and Swansea in the last 2 years and have seen nothing to think this could ever happen. Is it because of the Cardiff/ Swansea football rivalry or is it a rugby issue?

Most likely they wasn't rugby fans, rather they was footie fans as you say and just used the game as an excuse to cause trouble.

I went up with the supporters coaches and sat in the corner with most of the welsh and saw none of this. In fact there was quite a good bit of banter going on between both Cardiff Blues and Ospreys, aswell as with the english folk.

It was probably an isolated case to be honest, maybe a group/few people went down and decided to cause some trouble.

I didnt see anything like this and its probably a few isolated incidents, however the Ospreys fans are the closest to football fans in rugby (from my experience). Ive been unlucky enough in the past to be sat by some right idiots in Neath and Ospreys shirts.

there were reports about this on Saturday I'm surprised you saw nothing.

There were Coventry City fans in the crowd. Mostly shouting about us rugby lot ruinin their pitch and we all have close relations with one another (or words to that effect).

None of the rugby lot either were rialed up or particularly bothered by the idiots.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Apr 2 2009, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
There were Coventry City fans in the crowd. Mostly shouting about us rugby lot ruinin their pitch and we all have close relations with one another (or words to that effect).

None of the rugby lot either were rialed up or particularly bothered by the idiots.[/b]

you mean they actually spent money to come to a game they didn't want to be there?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sean43 @ Apr 2 2009, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I didnt see anything like this and its probably a few isolated incidents, however the Ospreys fans are the closest to football fans in rugby (from my experience). Ive been unlucky enough in the past to be sat by some right idiots in Neath and Ospreys shirts.[/b]
Bit harsh? I have been to Ospreys and its been ok. The normal cross border tension but I like all that! It must of been the football crowd. Same as you get at certain cricket grounds in the summer(Edgebaston etc....)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Apr 2 2009, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Don't ask me to analyse, I'm only stating what I saw.[/b]

says something about poofball fans doesn't it. with villa starting to flop and cricket stuffed up to the eyeballs with one dayers i'm beginning to think union and league are the only team sports worth bothering with.

While I wasn't at the game (although I wish I saw, HAW HAW) I must say that the Hairspray fans are perfectly fine in the one time I've met them en masse.

Most of the time though I must say they were in a perpetual rush, either legging it to the game, to the bar or to the toilet. Doubt they have any time to do anything else bar watch Rugby as they're always late for some reason.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fa'atau82 @ Apr 1 2009, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Most likely they wasn't rugby fans, rather they was footie fans as you say and just used the game as an excuse to cause trouble.[/b]

If it did happen, then Fa'atau has summed it up. The whole Cardiff City - Swansea City football rivalry barely ever (if ever) spills over into the Regional or Principality Premiership Rugby. There was a Cardiff RFC V Swansea RFC match on teh same day as the Cardiff City v Swansea City derby in Cardiff a couple of weeks ago, no problems whatsoever at the Arms Park (couldn't quite say that about the Ninian Park clash...)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sean43 @ Apr 2 2009, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I didnt see anything like this and its probably a few isolated incidents, however the Ospreys fans are the closest to football fans in rugby (from my experience). Ive been unlucky enough in the past to be sat by some right idiots in Neath and Ospreys shirts.[/b]

Ok...bit harsh there mate. Ospreys fans are fine, always have been with me. I've had loads of friendly banter with Ospreys fans before, and have never had a problem with them. I did once have a drunk Ospreys fan leaning on me giving me his condolences after they walloped us in an EDF Semi a few years ago. That was pretty funny :p

Yea its probably just my bad luck in 2 matches. Had some Neath fans poor a pint over my Munster mates head in the Anglo cup a few years back and some right foul mouthed fans in the Cardiff game at the Millenium.

Latest posts