• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

effects of playing rugby

E

ecks tartan army

i am currently quite unfit, but have decided this year that something has to be done about that. (largely because i didnt get the most out of the ski season this year).

I used to play alot of football (in the park, not competitivly) but i much prefer playing rugby these days.

The problem is ive heard allot of stories about people doing there knees in playing rugby, and as a) i need my knees (skiing is, and always will be my first sport) and B) my knees are already in a bad way, im not sure joining a club would be a wise move. is there anything in the nature of the game that means these injuries are common, or is it just by chance its happened to the people i know?

and does the fact ive never played before put me at a disadvantage when it comes to getting into the team?

thanks in advance.

i am currently quite unfit, but have decided this year that something has to be done about that. (largely because i didnt get the most out of the ski season this year).

I used to play alot of football (in the park, not competitivly) but i much prefer playing rugby these days.

The problem is ive heard allot of stories about people doing there knees in playing rugby, and as a) i need my knees (skiing is, and always will be my first sport) and B) my knees are already in a bad way, im not sure joining a club would be a wise move. is there anything in the nature of the game that means these injuries are common, or is it just by chance its happened to the people i know?

and does the fact ive never played before put me at a disadvantage when it comes to getting into the team?

thanks in advance.
[/b]

I would guess its being hit sideways on in the lower leg by 240lb guys travelling at 20mph that tends to do most of the damage :)

my left knee is pretty messed up, but having done rehab it feels pretty good now plus i've got the brace which helps...sorry just trying to cheer you up haha

knees get injured but then that happens in most sport
personally tore a ligament in my knee luckily a slight tear or something like that and it was at the end of the season so didnt miss much, wasnt fun getting it trapped under my body as i went down
also fractured a finger in the same moment lol

obviously not playing before puts you at a disadvantage but if you try most teams will play you, just gotta say no when it hurts some times :p

good luck if you join a team

word on the street is that our school might be putting a team together again, so might play for them on the basis that a)will have more experience than most (having actually watched the game before) and B) in scotland the standard wont be up to much (esp. west coast) so probably less chance of getting injured.

From personal experience I've found, the easier the team, the more likely the injury...

Just my two cents worth...

yeah when people are new to rugby and don't know correct body positions for going into contact and set pieces it can be bad

i'd read up on that if i were you

true that poor technique obviously results in more injuries, id suggest going and just playing a game of touch with them, as thats what most coaches would play with a new team i'd have thought,
even for someone new joining a more experienced club can mean less game time at first but if the team is that good and the team are good as players they will help your development greatly.

i was the opposite, rugby being my first sport, skiing being my 2nd (possibly 3rd)

i injured my knee playing rugby and havent been able to ski for 4 years, however this is down to my own inepptitude by not getting my knee sorted straight away, therefore the problem got worse. hopefully all sorted now and the doc reckons i could be skiing b next year.

i reckon that as your obviously a keen skiier your knees and legs in general should be quite strong therefore you may be less likely to suffer from the sort of injury that someone with less well developed legs would have. and if you did happen to injure yourself i recommend going to the doctors straight away rather than trying to be a hard ******* and just leaving it for a week or two, cos in the long term it just makes things worse, for example my cruciate ligament is now 20% longer than it should be because i played when it was damaged and stretched it over and over again to a point of permanent stretchedness.

join a team and get stuck in, and try not to conciously think about your knees whilst your playing, youl end up trying to protect them and only be half the player you could be.

i reckon that as your obviously a keen skiier your knees and legs in general should be quite strong therefore you may be less likely to suffer from the sort of injury that someone with less well developed legs would have. and if you did happen to injure yourself i recommend going to the doctors straight away rather than trying to be a hard ******* and just leaving it for a week or two, cos in the long term it just makes things worse,
[/b]

better go to the doctor then! :blink:

injured my knee at the end of the scottish season (April) and its still sore. (albeit at first i thought it was just sore as is often the case, but as it hasnt subsided im begining to think it might actually be a proper injury)

ill probably end up playing with freinds and familly over the summer, so i'll see how that goes, and after going to a doctor may look into joining a team in august.

thanks in advance.

[/b]

im 6'7 and have never had a problem with my knees in rugby even when i do get put on my ass rarley but it does happen to the best of us lmao...

my shoulders on the other hand are messed up my right one dislocates when it feels like it lol