• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby injury

tf london

Academy Player
I've played rugby throughout my school days. I didn't continue for about 12 years but returned to the game for a local club 5 years ago and have loved playing ever since. I'm very slim and not that bulky but I do like to put tackles in and am usually good enough in defence. I play outside centre. I'm always sore after picking up knocks in most games which I put down to my small build but never had any serious injuries. Yesterday though I broke my collarbone in 3 places, a big prop ran towards me like a bull coming down the hill in pamplona, he was quick for a big lad, I went low and his knee smashed straight through me. My bone was sticking up out my chest.
Has anyone got any advice how to improve my tackling technique in that situation as I want to keep myself safe while still giving 100% to defend our line.

Probs a good idea to bulk up. Get a weight bench and some free weights and go crazy. I've seen plenty of big guys get away with average tackle technique because they're carrying some bulk. Just watch some of the NRL and you'll see what I mean.

Probs a good idea to bulk up. Get a weight bench and some free weights and go crazy. I've seen plenty of big guys get away with average tackle technique because they're carrying some bulk. Just watch some of the NRL and you'll see what I mean.
Thank you, the extra 'padding' seems to help some of my teammates avoid some of the injuries I pick up

I'd also add that it's sometimes better to tackle someone from the side or an angle even if you are head on. Let their momentum (if they are huge) carrying them downwards while you wrap their legs.

Hope you recover swiftly.

I'd also add that it's sometimes better to tackle someone from the side or an angle even if you are head on. Let their momentum (if they are huge) carrying them downwards while you wrap their legs.

Hope you recover swiftly.
thats a good call, runners are looking for a soft shoulder anyway....give them the shoulder but drive low and hard from the side...take better timing than letting run straight over you though

Latest posts