• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ehhhhh... Can we skip this week? - Guinness Pro14 - R.21

Wasn't even second string for us really. A match where the result had no importance for us against a more settled and motivated side at their tough home ground.

Very bad performance but not the most unforgivable or difficult to understand one either.

Wasn't even second string for us really. A match where the result had no importance for us against a more settled and motivated side at their tough home ground.

Very bad performance but not the most unforgivable or difficult to understand one either.
You'd just think lads starting like Jack McGrath wanted to lay a marker of pressure for final. But if mindset was different then fair enough.

As I said. Seen bits. I'm sure there were worst. But that a bad hammering for 2nd string like depth seems to be lighter than suggested.

For all Bods comments on Ulster being a basket case. They are only 10points off with a game to play.

Suggested by who? Thats closer to third string too: Kearney is 5th choice lock; Deegan is at best 5th choice 6, Timmins 5th choice 7; McCarthy, Daly and Reid 3rd choice; argument to be made that Byrne and Carbery are 3rd choice in their positions today; Daly 5th choice wing. They were lambs to the slaughter with top spot secure.

BOD's comment was innocuous in context, this just seems like you're trying to have a go at Leinster for the sake of it...

Suggested by who? Thats closer to third string too: Kearney is 5th choice lock; Deegan is at best 5th choice 6, Timmins 5th choice 7; McCarthy, Daly and Reid 3rd choice; argument to be made that Byrne and Carbery are 3rd choice in their positions today; Daly 5th choice wing. They were lambs to the slaughter with top spot secure.

BOD's comment was innocuous in context, this just seems like you're trying to have a go at Leinster for the sake of it...
Not a go at anyone. And well suggested by media on depth.

Regards Bods comment. Seemed many Ulster didn't take it same way.
On depth charts I'd disagree on Carbery as Ireland use him as back up 10/15. But again it all interpretations.
We play here now with our bare team so we can't say much. Just as I say today was very heavy defeat regardless of mindset

I'm astonished by the reaction over BOD's comment on Ulster. Ulster fans do nothing but moan about everyone there but are more than a little sensitive when BOD makes a throwaway comment.

Munster Ulster game is unbelievably low quality. Can't go 1 minute without a stupid error. Didn't see the Leinster game but can't imagine they were any better looking at the score. Fairplay to Connacht for putting in a big performance on Muldoon's last game.

Cardiff paying the price resting so many players against a fully loaded Ospreys today. Good losing BP considering. Ospreys will be much, much weaker without Biggar and Webb next season.

Mostly agree with this. The result was of no real consequence for Leinster. A home semi final was all but secured before the game anyway. Key players had to be rested here because there's, hopefully, a 3 week stretch of back to back games coming up.

What disappointed me was that some players could have put their hands up for selection into next season. Did any of Tom Daly, Noel Reid, Nick McCarthy, Ross Molony, Mick Kearney or Max Deegan do so? In Deegan's case it was a bad game after a generally good season. Did Jack McGrath or James Tracy give the coaches food for thought ahead of naming the team for the Champion's Cup final?

Looking for positives from the Leinster performance, Jack Conan played well. Caelan Doris made a good impact when he came on. Ross Byrne is rounding out his game and looking to attack the line himself more often. Both wingers attacked well, the intercept try apart.

It's unfair to spend three paragraphs talking about Leinster when in truth, Connacht were fantastic. Why couldn't they do this every week? Shane Delahunt put in a brilliant shift and I suspect he'll come onto Leinster's radar before too long. The best starting loosehead on the field wasn't the Lions test player in blue, it was Denis Buckley. Similarly Finlay Bealham was far better than Andrew Porter. Tiernan O'Halloran is a lot of fun to watch.

Mostly agree with this. The result was of no real consequence for Leinster. A home semi final was all but secured before the game anyway. Key players had to be rested here because there's, hopefully, a 3 week stretch of back to back games coming up.

What disappointed me was that some players could have put their hands up for selection into next season. Did any of Tom Daly, Noel Reid, Nick McCarthy, Ross Molony, Mick Kearney or Max Deegan do so? In Deegan's case it was a bad game after a generally good season. Did Jack McGrath or James Tracy give the coaches food for thought ahead of naming the team for the Champion's Cup final?

Looking for positives from the Leinster performance, Jack Conan played well. Caelan Doris made a good impact when he came on. Ross Byrne is rounding out his game and looking to attack the line himself more often. Both wingers attacked well, the intercept try apart.

It's unfair to spend three paragraphs talking about Leinster when in truth, Connacht were fantastic. Why couldn't they do this every week? Shane Delahunt put in a brilliant shift and I suspect he'll come onto Leinster's radar before too long. The best starting loosehead on the field wasn't the Lions test player in blue, it was Denis Buckley. Similarly Finlay Bealham was far better than Andrew Porter. Tiernan O'Halloran is a lot of fun to watch.

Agree with this. I'm not even bothered to single out individuals because it was an awful team performance. As I said after the game against Treviso our depth isn't as good as some in the media would have you believe in certain positions (lock and centre). It's hardly the end of the world though. The real question is why Connacht can't be this good every week. It shouldn't take it being a talisman's last game for a big performance. The O'Halloran conversation has been done to death but plenty of their other players wouldn't look amiss in a slightly different shade of green.

Cockerill dropped some his starters after hearing the Ulster score. Still too good for Glasgow though. ;)

Seriously, on this evidence Glasgow will get pumped by Scarlets in the semis.

Cockerill has really made impact there though. It crazy how the whole tide has changed the last few weeks

Cockerill has really made impact there though. It crazy how the whole tide has changed the last few weeks

Yep and he has his sights on Munster next week.

That should be a good game two sets of big packs Munster have it in the backs though.
Grobler played well is he 100% off

It's really impressive, but I wouldn't be too worried if I was a Munster fan. Edinburgh have real stickability though so if Munster have an off day then anything is possible.

They were saying attendance was over 25,000 which is I think a record for a Scottish club game.

It's really impressive, but I wouldn't be too worried if I was a Munster fan. Edinburgh have real stickability though so if Munster have an off day then anything is possible.

They were saying attendance was over 25,000 which is I think a record for a Scottish club game.
No but the issue isn't against us. I do believe in next season or 2 he may get them to challenge in Europe for a QF.

Also rumours in Limerick today Jeremy Davidson is coming in as Ulster coach

Yep and he has his sights on Munster next week.

That should be a good game two sets of big packs Munster have it in the backs though.
Grobler played well is he 100% off
Yeah he was incredible today. Unfortunately he is off. And was chatting with an Ulster player who commented they could do worst than sign him. But yeah it seems he is going to Gloucester or Wasps.

On the lad ye got rid of. He knows where we are and what to expect. I am nervous about it myself though. They have momentum but knockout game in Thomond is a different kettle of fish

For the first time (?) an Italian team actually deserves to go to the Champions Cup. Ranked 7th out of the Pro 12 teams.

I'm astonished by the reaction over BOD's comment on Ulster. Ulster fans do nothing but moan about everyone there but are more than a little sensitive when BOD makes a throwaway comment.

We are "a bit of a basket case".

Far too many up here with chips on both shoulders all too happy to blame Dublin for our ills and shy away from confronting uncomfortable truths.

Our problems are >95% of our own making.

Can anyone spell the Ulster predicament out now for me.

- Poor first team squad - devoid of quality and depth.
- Poor 2nd team squad - devoid of quality and depth.
- Extremely poor youth system track record.
- Poor club team performance in AIL.
- Low (and dropping) sport participation levels particularly adult age grades.
- Historic politics proving an issue for decision makers (be that between clubs, schools and/or tribals*).

*I could barely imagine the outright horror on some faces attached to old school ties if a Saint. XXXXX College won the schools cup up here - and that horror comes from both sides - CCMS would also be horrified by the idea of rugby in their schools.

Zebre picked up their 7th win and their first in five matches against Benetton and celebrated as if they'd won the competition!

Performances were way above average this year by both sides and right now I'd settle for the same 18 wins between them next season (as I expect a lot of the sides in the bottom half of the table this season to improve a fair bit next season).

Latest posts