• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
more mature, reliable heads to finish out the game (Marler, Cole, Kruis, Wilson, Joseph).

Given his rap sheet, I might have gone with 'experienced' 😀. But I know what you mean.

Kruis was our best lock. Individually and more importantly the pack just seemed to be better with him in it. Why he sat on the bench in the knock out stages was mystifying, doubly so against the Boks. And ironic that Lawes was ahead of him given everything that people now say about Lawes at lock.

That is a lot of likely squad members ruled out. Reckon we see something like:

Hookers: George, Walker
Props: Genge, Obano, Sinckler, Stuart
Locks: Launchbury, Clarke, Ewels (is he even fit yet? Lock is very hard. Itoje, Isiekwe, Hill, Ribbans, Chessum and Martin all unavailable)
Back Rowers: Willis, Pearson, Rogerson, T. Hill (probably doing a lot of filling in at lock), Mercer, Dombrandt, Simmonds
Scrum Halves: Care, Spencer, Randall
Fly Halves: Smith, Bailey
Centres: S. Atkinson, Slade, Lawrence, Marchant
Back Three: Hassell-Collins, May, Loader, Murley, Arundell
Do you mean George McGuigan?

For a 30 man training squad to work in this scenario, I'm assuming they're picking two XVs so possibly not three 9s? Maybe Radwan in instead of Spencer?

The only other locks I can think of that might be in with a shout is Sean Robinson (but he hasn't played in a while) and maybe Josh McNally? Neither has a realistic chance of the final squad but could be called up for this one.

Do you mean George McGuigan?
Yep, whoops.
For a 30 man training squad to work in this scenario, I'm assuming they're picking two XVs so possibly not three 9s? Maybe Radwan in instead of Spencer?
Yeah I did think about this but my logic was that I think it would take a small miracle for Borthwick to end up taking Radwan to the tournament, whereas all of Care, Spencer and Randall could be legitimate bolters for the 3rd 9 spot. So he'd probably rather have a look at those 3 9s with each of them having to do the odd bit of filling in on the wing during training rather than taking a player he has no intention of picking.

What about Freddie Clarke for a lock call up outside of the top 4. I've thought he's played well every time I've seen him.

Only downside is that he plays for Gloucester.

Yeah, definitely feels like the kind of player that'd get a training squad spot (as does McNally, who I was surprised to see actually got a cap a few years back!)

Reactions: BPM
New thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts