• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
puke GIF

Between Ribbans and Ackermann we're not going to be able to make fun of Scotland for much longer

Also just why, we're pretty well stacked in the backrow without needing to look for mercenaries, and that's before bringing in Mercer (and hopefully Tom Willis) - I don't think Ackermann's looked as good this season as previous, as well
Bit harsh - he's been with Glaws for 6 years now and has just extended his contract. More committed to the English game than some capped players.

Whether he's good enough at the moment is another question but at one point he should probably have been in the mix.

Bit harsh - he's been with Glaws for 6 years now and has just extended his contract. More committed to the English game than some capped players.

Whether he's good enough at the moment is another question but at one point he should probably have been in the mix.
Pretty much agree with all of this. I have no great issue with him representing England; that's just the way the international game is now and we'd still have less foreign players turning out for us than just about any home nation.

My issue would be that right now he simply isn't as good as any of the likes of T. Hill, Pearson, Mercer, Martin, etc.

Not English, not a product of the English rugby systems 🤷‍♂️
Interview in yesterday's Times with another of your favourites, Nathan Hughes.

Now in Japan and saying that he's fielded a lot of calls from Premiership players thinking about following suit. Team mate of another forum favourite, Harry Mallinder.

Skivington says Ackerman is in the England conversation but also says Ackerman is out for the rest of the season. Bizarre

I like that all of our joint trauma has blocked out ludlow
EJ: "Right Lewis, we're going to pick you ahead of much more deserving players, and for some reason we're also going to make you captain. Don't let this opportunity go to waste."

LL:

Interview in yesterday's Times with another of your favourites, Nathan Hughes.

Now in Japan and saying that he's fielded a lot of calls from Premiership players thinking about following suit. Team mate of another forum favourite, Harry Mallinder.
And he is thinking of representing Fiji as he has nearly met the stand down period

Don't blame Quins at all - but what a mess

What exactly is the England coaching set up, then?
What's Wigglesworth gonna be? That article mentions kicking and defence?
I know it's post RWC but what's Felix Jones gonna be? He's a defence coach, we've already got a defence coach plus Wigglesworth also doing some defence...?

I know it's post RWC but what's Felix Jones gonna be? He's a defence coach, we've already got a defence coach plus Wigglesworth also doing some defence...?
I honestly think England's haphazard coaching set up has been one of the biggest issues. No consistency in tactics and styles means it's very hard for players to embed into the system. Look at Ireland, all their players are on the same wave length and know how they fit into the system.

I thought it was just Jones, but maybe it's the RFU. With an inexperienced head coach they should be getting experienced coaches around him, but instead they just seem to be hiring anyone who's available.

But is it SB's fault for the coaching situation.

Everything was in place for AFTER the world cup....but the RFU sacking Eddie made this mess.

Watching over the 6 nations, we need more than 3 coaches to sort out the defence!!!
And more than 1 coach to sort out the attack

But is it SB's fault for the coaching situation.

Everything was in place for AFTER the world cup....but the RFU sacking Eddie made this mess.
Yes.

Any new coach brings in their own back room team. It is not Jones fault that Sinfield and Wigglesworth are in coaching short pants. It's not Jones fault that Evans won't be released (doesn't want to be?) for the RWC - surely that should have been thrashed out beforehand as there is no point having someone available for just one tournament. And as anti Jones as I was I don't think an Eng team would have shipped 50 at HQ on his watch.

I've said from day 1 that Borthwick was a poor choice. He was an uninspiring captain and that's translating into his coaching. Working hard won't overcome deficiencies in ability or authority. Nerding away at line outs makes you good at line outs - totally different skill set to being the main man.

It's still early days for Borthwick but a confused coaching set up and no hint of a new coach bounce are not good portents.

Tigers POV England players
I know I say this every weekend but Martin has to go to the RWC.
19 tackles and a try in 64 minutes
He just seems so all round, big hitter in defence but always legal, carrying game is massive as well.
Also good to see Kelly back to form, praying it lasts.
Tom West also seems to be a solid LH option, not a world beater but solid like Cole won't win you a game but shouldn't lose it either.
Watson back to his best, not as fast but his control and footwork still top notch.
JVP is either great or poor, all down to his first box kick it seems
Youngs (ducking down now) honestly been in his best form for a long time.
Freddie Steward honestly not been at his best, could argue Brown has been the form Tigers 15.

Tigers POV England players
I know I say this every weekend but Martin has to go to the RWC.
19 tackles and a try in 64 minutes
He just seems so all round, big hitter in defence but always legal, carrying game is massive as well.
Also good to see Kelly back to form, praying it lasts.
Tom West also seems to be a solid LH option, not a world beater but solid like Cole won't win you a game but shouldn't lose it either.
Watson back to his best, not as fast but his control and footwork still top notch.
JVP is either great or poor, all down to his first box kick it seems
Youngs (ducking down now) honestly been in his best form for a long time.
Freddie Steward honestly not been at his best, could argue Brown has been the form Tigers 15.
Total agree with all of that. West can't be far off an England call up and for me Heyes has come on a lot with the extra game time over the 6 nations period with Cole away. Martin is everything England miss against France.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts