Status
Not open for further replies.
If Marcus isnt fit...i meant...

Then for 6n...

9 JVP
10 Farrell
12 Kelly
13 Lawrence

Wales are going to win the bloody grand slam or something now aren't they? And Gatland will somehow look like a tactical genius.
It could be a big mental boost for wales getting Gatland back so prob will have an impact. But when the bubble burst it may not be great.

It could be a big mental boost for wales getting Gatland back so prob will have an impact. But when the bubble burst it may not be great.
Agreed. Gatland will turn it around a bit in a short time. People laugh at him from a tactical perspective and I can see why sometimes but he's a tactically astute coach but it's his man management that we'll reap the benefits from more in the short term.

The problem with Gatland was that as good as his record was for us with Grand Slams and Semi finals you knew that to go that one or 2 steps further in a World Cup he wasn't the man to get us there. You can't arm wrestle your way to a RWC unless you're South Africa, you need to be able to score tires so I don't see this appointment now being a sustainable one. I'm happy Pivac has gone and we will see benefits in the short term but long term not so much, especially without Edwards.

But look, maybe he learnt from his dismal time in NZ where the Chiefs moved him upstairs. His first squad selection in a couple of months could give us a little indicator of any changes but I doubt it.

Agreed. Gatland will turn it around a bit in a short time. People laugh at him from a tactical perspective and I can see why sometimes but he's a tactically astute coach but it's his man management that we'll reap the benefits from more in the short term.

The problem with Gatland was that as good as his record was for us with Grand Slams and Semi finals you knew that to go that one or 2 steps further in a World Cup he wasn't the man to get us there. You can't arm wrestle your way to a RWC unless you're South Africa, you need to be able to score tires so I don't see this appointment now being a sustainable one. I'm happy Pivac has gone and we will see benefits in the short term but long term not so much, especially without Edwards.

But look, maybe he learnt from his dismal time in NZ where the Chiefs moved him upstairs. His first squad selection in a couple of months could give us a little indicator of any changes but I doubt it.
Roberts in at 12. That ability to run perpendicular to the try line all the time every time and nothing else is sorely missing.

Roberts in at 12. That ability to run perpendicular to the try line all the time every time and nothing else is sorely missing.
Hey, he got rid of Roberts years before he left. I'm sure he's putting in a call to Hadleigh Parkes though.

Joking aside I'm interested to see what he makes of the players he's not been exposed to.

I do wonder if the makeup of the squad will change in any significant way,

Sadly I think Mako will remain - worked together at Sarries and England, will probably give him the benefit of the doubt for the 6N and then will probably be too late to bring in a legit replacement after (unless it's Marler, who doesn't need blooding)

If Borthwick is back will we see Coke return?
Matt Stevens will love that

I actually think hes been a little unlucky with injuries such as Dombtandt, Chessum, Kelly, Isiekwe etc but Ah i honestly hope theres a slight clear out now...

Time to pick a good style, with some attack and abbrasiveness and look at form players...and players who can make things happen.
Ollie Lawrence, Radwan, Murley, decide on Farrell...or pick a 12, Ted Hill, Ben Earl...etc etc etc

We have a lot of talent...it needs to be picked in the right balanced side.

Last edited:
I do wonder if the makeup of the squad will change in any significant way,

Sadly I think Mako will remain - worked together at Sarries and England, will probably give him the benefit of the doubt for the 6N and then will probably be too late to bring in a legit replacement after (unless it's Marler, who doesn't need blooding)

Matt Stevens will love that
Whats happened to West at Wasps?
Id actually rather have Trevor Davison than Mako now...not because Davison is at the level Mako was...but Mako isnt near that level now.
You'll laugh but i would actually prefer Adam Brocklebank...similar to West. Developed in to a very good LH now.
What about Goodrick Clark at Irish...always looks a good player.

I'd far rather see VRR given the loosehead spot currently occupied by Mako. He's 30, but on the way up, Mako's 31 and has been in decline for a while. Actually no reason that he couldn't play at the RWC in 5 years' time.

VRR has had a crazy good season so far, don't know what's changed but he's in the form of his life
Remember him being massively hyped as a youngster, looks to be coming good on that promise now

Shame he got ill during the AIs and had to withdraw from the squad, though I doubt he'd have been used tbh

Borthwick team imo could be

1. Genge, 2. George, 3. Cole
4. Itoje, 5. Chessum
6. Hill, 7. Curry, 8. Vunipola
9. Youngs, 10. Ford
12. Farrell, 13. Porter
11. Watson, 14. Nowell, 15. Steward

16. LCD, 17. Mako, 18. Sinckler
19. Hill, 20. Willis
21. Wigglesworth/JVP…, 22. Kelly, 23. Murley

Who ever takes over will be ok by me if farrel never plays inside centre again

Status