• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2023/24

Interesting interview with Arundell - maddest part is that the dual contract + Bath offer will be worth £400k per season

I really don't get how central contracts work. Is this all to keep Itoje at Sarries?

How is it fair on other clubs without England players? I'm not saying it won't work but I don't understand how it will.

And I'd really question why Arundell would be offered a central contract. He isn't an England regular and is he deserving of a central contracts compared to others? Smacks of a RFU PR job more than anything else.

I really don't get how central contracts work. Is this all to keep Itoje at Sarries?
Pretty much,
From what I've read (and this is just speculation from journos) it'll be a 50/50 split between club and country (Itoje on 800k, 400/400, Arundell on 400k, 200/200) but then the RFU can make "suggestions" (dictate) rest and position to the clubs (i.e. don't play Itoje vs Tigers this weekend, he might get injured - don't play Smith at 10 give him a run at 15 instead etc)

Pretty much,
From what I've read (and this is just speculation from journos) it'll be a 50/50 split between club and country (Itoje on 800k, 400/400, Arundell on 400k, 200/200) but then the RFU can make "suggestions" (dictate) rest and position to the clubs (i.e. don't play Itoje vs Tigers this weekend, he might get injured - don't play Smith at 10 give him a run at 15 instead etc)
How does that work for the cap then? Does Itoje become a 400k player for the cap then, or 800k?

I also wonder if Arendull is struggling to live up to expectations, but let's see.
He's had a good couple of games at Racing, scored a few tries, done well in defence - I've only seen highlights and comments so this is a bit of hearsay, but looks like it was a smart move.

That's my understanding - though as with everything RFU/PRL it's all cloak and daggers
Hopefully when they announce the first one they actually release the full terms of the situation
Yuck, surely that defeats the point of the cap of you just stock up with England players then?

Trying to strongarm him into signing the central contract?
The interview yesterday he said the best thing for English rugby would be to let him stay at Racing but still play for England, maybe they saw that and thought "Actually, mate, who tf are you?"

I just want them to say in concrete terms whether he can or cannot play (hopefully: cannot) and that be it, this he said she said/will he won't he drama is boring

Telegraph saying Arundell not eligible unless he signs for Bath
Did anyone think otherwise?

If you want to play for England, you have to play in England - that's not been debated for what? 15 years now?

IMO, we still need to see how central contracts are going to work before criticising them - there are far too many speculations to comment with any intelligence about them; but "play in England" was always going to be part of it, surely.

Did anyone think otherwise?
It's this 6N that they've now said he's unavailable for

The RFU said, during the RWC, that he would be eligible (under the same rules that Willis was eligible), but looks like they've changed their minds

Tbh I'm OK with it - he had credible offers in England but chose to move abroad, it's different to the clubs that went under mid season

It's this 6N that they've now said he's unavailable for

The RFU said, during the RWC, that he would be eligible (under the same rules that Willis was eligible), but looks like they've changed their minds

Tbh I'm OK with it - he had credible offers in England but chose to move abroad, it's different to the clubs that went under mid season
Sorry, I thought it was a continuation of the conversation on hybrid contracts, not eligibility for the 6N - in which case, yes, that seems like changing the rules after the event.

Sorry, I thought it was a continuation of the conversation on hybrid contracts, not eligibility for the 6N - in which case, yes, that seems like changing the rules after the event.
'Henry Arundell will not be available for England in the forthcoming Six Nations unless he chooses to leave Racing 92and sign a hybrid contract with Bath and the Rugby Football Union, Telegraph Sport understands.'

Basically Clubs won't accept the hybrids Unkess he has already signed one before the six nations

I suspect Arundell will never play for England again. The RFU are the type to not offer another Hybrid in 2026 in time for the World Cup.

The RFU are the type to not offer another Hybrid in 2026 in time for the World Cup.
We don't really know what the central contract situation is tbf
Is it season to season? Is it for a full rwc cycle? Do clubs go to the RFU and say we want to offer X a three year deal are you in? Does the RFU go to a club and say X is out of contract we want you to offer them a 2 year deal which we'll pay half of?

I wonder if there's any substance in the rumours that Gustard is coming back as Defence Coach....

Barbeary definitely growing on me.

Better options, but been great to see him start to build a run of games. Will get fitter as the season goes on.

Worry is Walters and Borthwick seem very big on players who work hard in the gym.

Latest posts