• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2023/24

What did people think of Smiths performance at 10?
It's the difference between kicking when you think it will give an advantage and running when you think it will give an advantage based on what's happening on the field and kicking because some stat crunching says you should. Whatever stupid stat thing that says if you haven't made ground in 3 phases (or even if you have made loads in many cases), kick regardless of where you are needs to be scrapped. Let Smith run the game as he sees fit and get the rest of the team on his wavelength.

SB needs to build the team tactics around the strengths of his players, not try shoe-horning players into roles they don't normally play in a gameplan based purely around pre-determined stat based decision making.

There's a raft of young England players playing well....what about Cunningham-South? He's putting some big performances in...could he sneak the squad? He's raw...but he's physical, aggressive, a lineout option..?

Possible but I feel like if SB doesn't like Mercer he's not gonna like CCS
God help me if he selects Billy V again... I've not seen many players who look as disinterested in the game as him. If any coach is selecting him because he is a lump and nothing else, that coach also is just a lump. Hell I'm not even sure he offers anything at Sarries any more either. He used to at least seem to perform for them if not for England. Now he just looks like he can't be bothered with any of it.

Yeah Billy should be nowhere near the squad. And surely today's stupidity has just made sure he won't be.

God help me if he selects Billy V again... I've not seen many players who look as disinterested in the game as him. If any coach is selecting him because he is a lump and nothing else, that coach also is just a lump. Hell I'm not even sure he offers anything at Sarries any more either. He used to at least seem to perform for them if not for England. Now he just looks like he can't be bothered with any of it.
Hopefully, if he wants a big lump who doesn't like the training/the gym, he picks Barbeary

I, personally, would have a few ahead of him but if we're going Billy V vs Barbear-ee then there's only one winner

And surely today's stupidity has just made sure he won't be.
We thought the same before the RWC 🥲

It's the difference between kicking when you think it will give an advantage and running when you think it will give an advantage based on what's happening on the field and kicking because some stat crunching says you should. Whatever stupid stat thing that says if you haven't made ground in 3 phases (or even if you have made loads in many cases), kick regardless of where you are needs to be scrapped. Let Smith run the game as he sees fit and get the rest of the team on his wavelength.

SB needs to build the team tactics around the strengths of his players, not try shoe-horning players into roles they don't normally play in a gameplan based purely around pre-determined stat based decision making.
Always the risk of that falling apart when a few injures occur and the next in line can't fit the plan.

True, but that's why you need to build a style/gameplan that suits the majority of players you have available. One of the biggest complaints I have is that we mostly set up to play a physical, attritional style without the right players to deliver it.

Times have changed, these days we're producing far more mobile forwards than we are big ones and similarly, we have lots of outside backs with pace and trickery so let's build a gameplan that plays to our strengths.

Number 8 is exhibit A - for years we picked Billy or when he was unavailable we asked someone to play the 'Billy' role when it didn't suit them. Mercer, Dombrandt and Earl (at 8) play a looser, roaming style. Tom Willis and Barbeary are better heavy carriers, but they're not pure smash merchants. That gives us 5 options to play a more mobile role at 8 that suits their skillsets, so let's not ask them to do a Billy impression (that he can't even do anymore).

Haven't seen the game but apparently Radwan was very good against Montpellier including flattening Sam Simmonds on defence

Haven't seen the game but apparently Radwan was very good against Montpellier including flattening Sam Simmonds on defence
Problem is Adam is ALWAYS good....they just seem to see something in his game thats an issue. X-Factor was talked about previously....this lad has buckets of it....more than Arundel...(in my humble opinion).

CCS might get a look in at 6 purely due to the amount of injuries and retirees in the back row. With Lawes, Ludlum, curry, earl all possibly out it leaves underhill and two others.

I like what I see of him but maybe a little raw (maybe not) for international rugby yet.

Pearson being on the bench is hopefully more of a tactics things. Later in the game when we start to fade and concede loads of tries bringing him on rather than a weaker player. We've also seen loads of rotation this year at the saints but I agree it's concerning that he's not a permanent fixture at 6 or 7.

I always want my england played to be starting at their club in the right position.

Last edited:
Sounds like Arundell is signing a new contract with racing next week, so that's the end of that saga for another season or two
Ive got off the 'hype train' on him, he did some great highlight reel stuff but he also gets lost in games, and isnt making these individual impacts.

A few years in France, he's 21, maybe comes back at 24 woth a much more rounded game and walks into the England squad for the WC. Immense talent but honestly just isnt ready yet.

Maybe I missed it but I haven't seen much said of Beno Obano's MOTM performance on Saturday. A few in here (namely Olyy) have been singing his praises for a while now and I always thought he was alright but wasn't sure whether I really saw him as international quality. Saturday changed my mind. Was dominant in the scrum against a strong Ulster pack and was a force to be reckoned with with ball in hand. Has to be at least involved during the 6N and honestly might now be my front runner for the starting shirt.

Maybe I missed it but I haven't seen much said of Beno Obano's MOTM performance on Saturday. A few in here (namely Olyy) have been singing his praises for a while now and I always thought he was alright but wasn't sure whether I really saw him as international quality. Saturday changed my mind. Was dominant in the scrum against a strong Ulster pack and was a force to be reckoned with with ball in hand. Has to be at least involved during the 6N and honestly might now be my front runner for the starting shirt.
Great player but he's always seems to get injured before the squads are announced.

I'd have him in the squad though. Poor bath but I'd be raiding their pack for England this year.

Latest posts