• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England crashing out vs other Nations

I can safely say you have never seen depressed like NZ in 2007 after the QFs. It was madness. So if we went out in the pool stages...

I think a lot of players and coaches would be replaced pretty quickly. I don't know how NZ would deal with it. If we were hosts too? Well - it would be like the tournament of the damned. Broadcast accross the world would be people either rioting or too depressed to care.
I'd say we're at best 30 years away from that happening though! The tournament starts for you lot in the QF's which obviously makes losing at this stage tough as anything. I think that's why Irish rugby fans have taken it so badly this year. A lot of us fully expected to top our group with anything else meaning failure, I only really got into the RWC hype in the build up to the Argentina game so when we went out it killed me. I wanted two more games/wins and thought we could do it. The hardest defeat I've ever had to take when not actually playing.

I think we in argentina can relate with what happened to us in the football world cup of 2002.
different sport but same situation.
I remember I was devastated and it was very tough for me to continue watching the knockout games.
I just wanted the tournament to be over.

2007 was really frustrating, few things went wrong and a terrible forward pass costing us years of hurt and sh*t banter. Those are the margins in knock out sports though.. just look at the poor Scots.

Just interested to see what people from their own nations would feel if their nation went out under England's circumstances this year. For example if New Zealand had gone out in the group stages last World Cup. I would generally say that English people moved on quite quickly, with many fans still happily attending matches and enjoying themselves. What would be going on in your countries?

quite a broad statement that... Pool A was rated as the group of death (debatable) in saying that someone had to lost out... it happen to be England

so did England really perform that bad? that everyone is panicking?

im not sure if there have ever been a pool of death in previous world cups and if a tier 1 went out because of it...

quite a broad statement that... Pool A was rated as the group of death (debatable) in saying that someone had to lost out... it happen to be England

so did England really perform that bad? that everyone is panicking?

im not sure if there have ever been a pool of death in previous world cups and if a tier 1 went out because of it...

Pool D in 2007 was almost identical, Ireland came into it as favourites to win it but were soundly beaten by France and Argentina who'd finish fourth and third in the tournament. It was **** but an easier pill to take than this year, absolute failure seems to be easier to take than everything going swimmingly for a month only to fail to show up on the day it matters most.

Hope - Getting a bonus point win against Fiji.
Anger - Squad announcement before the Wales game.
Frustration - Loss to Wales confirming my armchair fan level of expertise was unfortunately correct.
Melancholy - Knowing defeat against Australia was inevitable due to long term and ignored issues.
Disbelief - Shown in three very detailed TRF threads and countless media articles displaying reactionary demands.
Depression - Worrying that there will be no brighter future after this interminable period of waiting for review.

Englands early exit will be good for English rugby ONLY if it brings about changes in coaching and ruling of overseas players being overturned, I would also add a limit to overseas players in match day club matches, otherwise England will end up like the Soccer team, with absolutely no chance of any silverware on the World stage.

the 9 6 semi v England or this year coming so close to beating the aussies

We are more used to crashing out badly in sporting events than we are to winning them so it's not a shock.

But as a rugby man both as a fan and former player I am bloody livid about the opportunity lost here, not so much for the national team but all the grassroots clubs that should have benefited from a decent WC campaign. It's boarding on criminal and although I dearly wish those responsible will fall on their swords and **** off under a rock somewhere it's painfully obvious that we are going to get an arse covering exercise. Big shame for all people involved in English rugby union.

Just interested to see what people from their own nations would feel if their nation went out under England's circumstances this year. For example if New Zealand had gone out in the group stages last World Cup. I would generally say that English people moved on quite quickly, with many fans still happily attending matches and enjoying themselves. What would be going on in your countries?

Mate, I cant speak for everyone, but for me I dont think it matters where NZ crash out. Obviously they have never crashed out in the group phase, and I dont think that will ever happen to be honest, but crashing out in the SF in '99, again in '03, then the QF in '07 I suspect hurt AB fans almost as much as it may have if we'd simply crashed out in the group phase. The simple fact is the ABs and AB supporters go into each and every world cup to win it, and anything short of at least making the final is a disaster, and making the final but losing is only slightly better!

As for getting over it?? I'm not sure the masses will ever truly get over those shock exits! No matter what happens in the future the pain of those games was real, the shock was real, and that will never change.

I guess the only difference between getting knocked out in the finals vs in the group phase is the embarrassment factor! I dont feel like as an ABs supporter I've ever felt embarrassed by our team, just bitterly disappointed at times!

It has been said that in NZ rugby would die if certain games werent won - i.e. the '11 RWC final. But to be honest it's deeply ingrained in us so I highly doubt that would ever happen. But we can be ******s in NZ even at the best of times when it comes to rugby, so there would be all sorts of demands for heads to roll, and players and coaches legacies would be shattered in terms of public opinion. Hence winning the RWC in '11 was so important IMO. So many guys in that AB team had ahd such wonderful careers, but for example if we hadnt won that RWC, McCaws legacy would have been very different. I'm not sure we would be seeing him in the final this weekend for example. Which is a shame, cause one game can always go either way! There's quite a lot of luck involved I reckon!!

Anyway I've gone on a bit longer than I intended, but perhaps I've provided a bit of insight into some Kiwis way of thinking!

I kind of follow England by default, but I don't see myself as very English. My regional identity overpowers my Englishness. So I'm not massively invested in England.

I can safely say you have never seen depressed like NZ in 2007 after the QFs. It was madness. So if we went out in the pool stages...

I think a lot of players and coaches would be replaced pretty quickly. I don't know how NZ would deal with it. If we were hosts too? Well - it would be like the tournament of the damned. Broadcast accross the world would be people either rioting or too depressed to care.

I was gutted for months after the 2007 loss, didn't even want to talk about rugby for a while.

But then I was vocally against the player rotation and cotton wool wrapping we did.

Like other English supporters, you can't go around for too long being down in the dumps about it. After all, it is only a game and it wasn't as if England had a team anywhere near comparable to our 2003 side. I must admit, though, that the review group they've set up doesn't do much for my confidence that England will learn much from it.

I was gutted for months after the 2007 loss, didn't even want to talk about rugby for a while.

But then I was vocally against the player rotation and cotton wool wrapping we did.

That's an interesting one aye, cause what they did in '07 is not too dissimilar to what they have done this year. The only real difference is that the rotation and cotton wool wrapping stopped as soon as the RWC started (this year), but in the leasd up it was all the same - Rest and Rotation! For a while a lot of people were very against what the ABs were doing this time. Rememeber all the outcry about DC, Kaino, Savea, etc etc.

It seems they have found the correct balance. Get everyone too the RWC and then 4 games or so is enough to get everyone into form. For a while (post Namibia and Georgia) it wasnt looking that good, but thankfuly they knew what they were doing!! ONE MORE GAME!!

Death, death, death...
Public execution of the entire management team.
Then the prime minister and the minister of sport.
Nothing like a clean slate, no pressure on the next guy in.

Man I still remember 2007 far too vividly for my liking. Was such a depressing Sunday, week, month...

Death, death, death...
Public execution of the entire management team.
Then the prime minister and the minister of sport.
Nothing like a clean slate, no pressure on the next guy in.

You forgot the rioting, the assaults and the liquor sales skyrocketing.

I think I took England crashing out very well personally.

Beaten this topic round to much for to long now, we're not the AB's there seems to be a gulf we in the NH can't fill, something is wrong, call it bad luck this year, but you just can't make that excuse every time the WC comes around.

Latest posts