• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England crashing out vs other Nations

RugbyTackle91

Academy Player
Country Flag
Argentina
Just interested to see what people from their own nations would feel if their nation went out under England's circumstances this year. For example if New Zealand had gone out in the group stages last World Cup. I would generally say that English people moved on quite quickly, with many fans still happily attending matches and enjoying themselves. What would be going on in your countries?

2007 vs Fiji still hurts 8 years on. Still can't watch the highlights.

Don't anyone dare post it!

As a nation we're not rugby mad unlike some nations(New Zealand, Wales, South Africa). English people seem to be very good at conveniently caring about the sport we are best at. At present, that's clearly not rugby, and unlike the posters on this forum, the average fan in this country will only be interested at the end of the 4 year cycle when its world cup time.
As for me and many other forum dwellers, we've gone back to club rugby which is at the beginning of the season. Club rugby is more forgiving and every week you have the opportunity to bounce back from what happened the previous one!

As for me and many other forum dwellers
We also had three threads where we've covered just about every aspect of crashing out in agonising detail. I think we've less moved on and just waiting for the next part of this saga to come to light, there's only so many time you can call for Lancaster's head ;)

Well, France going out when it did, was expected. So, i can't really say i'm surprised. The manner in which we lost was disgraceful.

Easy.
Business as usual. Very little soul searching from what I can tell. The Union hides under the cover. And the clubs are gearing up for the season ahead. Like I said business as usual...

The growing number of people attending or watching league games continues. Fans know we don't compete with SH at RWC level. This is not new so the surprise effect is nonexistent.They have moved on.

There's 2 pro leagues and 10 mths of competition+Europe to look forward to. Not much of hangover to hold onto...

We also had three threads where we've covered just about every aspect of crashing out in agonising detail. I think we've less moved on and just waiting for the next part of this saga to come to light, there's only so many time you can call for Lancaster's head ;)

This is true..
If truth be told I was surprised myself by the speed with which I came to terms with what happened with England. I think being able to feel angry and frustrated at some of the coaching and decisions taken is an outlet of sorts for the disappointment. I think this would have hurt a hell of a lot more if we had been close to being good enough and lost by a thin margin. In reality we were nowhere near the level required, either out on the pitch or on the scoreboard.

Honestly as a rugby fan though going out the way we did hurt a bloody lot I was in serious funk about it for a good week (2 if you include the Wales match as the start of it). Going on holiday and not looking at anything rugby apart from he scores helped me move on more than anything else.

- - - Updated - - -

Hurt more than 1999 exit which is first time I felt real disappointment in rugby.

Honestly as a rugby fan though going out the way we did hurt a bloody lot I was in serious funk about it for a good week (2 if you include the Wales match as the start of it). Going on holiday and not looking at anything rugby apart from he scores helped me move on more than anything else.

- - - Updated - - -

Hurt more than 1999 exit which is first time I felt real disappointment in rugby.

I think the Wales game hurt the most, not only the manner of the defeat but I think the realisation that the World Cup was as good as over before it had even begun.

The Wales match hurt a lot (and still does), especially the manner in which we lost. The Aus match, not so much, by half time I'd already accepted that we were out. I think its much easier to take when you get soundly beaten - after the Aus match I knew we would never have been able to win the cup, even if we might've gone through, so it seemed to me like being dumped out in thee group stage had little difference to being dumped out in the semis.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe I'm glossing over it a bit... the Wales loss hurt bad. Very bad.
..But by the time Australia rolled round there was hope again because we could still have qualified, and it was feasible we could have had a chance to redeem ourselves agaoinst Wales in knock-outs.
..But the way in which we were decimated by Australia was so comprehensive, I was quite stunned, and by 50 minutes in I'd let go. I prefer to lose to a good southern hemisphere side though than a home nations rival, and as chippieolamus said, it wasnt' even close.
In no way did it come close to me to the 2012 loss against Wales where we played fairly well for a new side and were very very close to getting over the line.
This time we couldn't have any excuses.

The Wales match hurt a lot (and still does), especially the manner in which we lost. The Aus match, not so much, by half time I'd already accepted that we were out. I think its much easier to take when you get soundly beaten - after the Aus match I knew we would never have been able to win the cup, even if we might've gone through, so it seemed to me like being dumped out in thee group stage had little difference to being dumped out in the semis.

Could not agree with this more. Exactly my thoughts, the Wales came looked won and somehow turned into a nightmare end. And yes the Australia game kind of sealed the deal on us not being good enough and actually brought a bit of closure to the whole thing personally.

Hope - Getting a bonus point win against Fiji.
Anger - Squad announcement before the Wales game.
Frustration - Loss to Wales confirming my armchair fan level of expertise was unfortunately correct.
Melancholy - Knowing defeat against Australia was inevitable due to long term and ignored issues.
Disbelief - Shown in three very detailed TRF threads and countless media articles displaying reactionary demands.
Depression - Worrying that there will be no brighter future after this interminable period of waiting for review.

Just interested to see what people from their own nations would feel if their nation went out under England's circumstances this year. For example if New Zealand had gone out in the group stages last World Cup. I would generally say that English people moved on quite quickly, with many fans still happily attending matches and enjoying themselves. What would be going on in your countries?

Well I think the English public has gotten used to it by now. 2014 FIFA World Cup and 2015 Cricket World Cup made it probably easier for the English public to get used to not making it out of the pool stages, so I guess that has assisted them in getting over it quicker.

In South Africa I think we will use the blame game to keep us busy while the tournament progresses. And I think the general SA public would feel like they all did after the Japan game, it would just last a bit longer...

Well I think the English public has gotten used to it by now. 2014 FIFA World Cup and 2015 Cricket World Cup made it probably easier for the English public to get used to not making it out of the pool stages, so I guess that has assisted them in getting over it quicker.

In South Africa I think we will use the blame game to keep us busy while the tournament progresses. And I think the general SA public would feel like they all did after the Japan game, it would just last a bit longer...

I don't think most of the public are even phased when we go out of the football world cups any more. I think the disappointment of being hosts and going out is the main thing, having said this I personally think English fans have swallowed the banter and held their hands up for the most part.

Well, the fact that theres an article about Irelands most depressing to least depressing world cup campaigns probably shows how we feel in Ireland... Disappointed, but honestly not that surprised. But if we were to get knocked out in the pool stages I think Id be a bit more devastated. Losing to Italy then one of the worst France teams ever? Dear God... At least England were comprehensively outclassed by Australia, much like us with Argentina, but I can only imagine how much that Wales game must sting, especially upon seeing that now infamous kick for corner melt away before your very eyes

Well, the fact that theres an article about Irelands most depressing to least depressing world cup campaigns probably shows how we feel in Ireland... Disappointed, but honestly not that surprised. But if we were to get knocked out in the pool stages I think Id be a bit more devastated. Losing to Italy then one of the worst France teams ever? Dear God... At least England were comprehensively outclassed by Australia, much like us with Argentina, but I can only imagine how much that Wales game must sting, especially upon seeing that now infamous kick for corner melt away before your very eyes

It sure did hurt.Also hurt in my pocket as I backed England to win 1-5pts.
There again if that call had have come good and we'd have won,Robshaw would have been proclaimed a great and courageous captain!

I can safely say you have never seen depressed like NZ in 2007 after the QFs. It was madness. So if we went out in the pool stages...

I think a lot of players and coaches would be replaced pretty quickly. I don't know how NZ would deal with it. If we were hosts too? Well - it would be like the tournament of the damned. Broadcast accross the world would be people either rioting or too depressed to care.

Win or bust, nothing changes over here.

After 2011 the Union did nothing. It's not like they sat down and said 'right, we made the final of this thing and for the 3rd time, and with a coachless team. What will it take for us to win the damn thing next time?'. They announced the appointment of a new muppet coach just before the WC and walked away.

Same again this time. No elation, no depression. Just one big collective Gallic shrug.

Latest posts