• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool A: England vs. Uruguay (10/10/2015)

They were sort of saying he might not be right without actually saying it.

All interesting points.

The main argument for is he is nice which sums it up really.

He's a cliche master with a cheeky grin.

They were sort of saying he might not be right without actually saying it.

All interesting points.

The main argument for is he is nice which sums it up really.

Bunch of pansies. I would buckle up for a number of very lean and very infuriating years as an England supporter if this donkey stays on.

I hate Twitter the amount of people calling for Lancaster to stay is disturbing.

He is a PR con artist.

It prob why all the lovers like him.

He is a good honest humble northern lad, whose work on the family farm helps keep him grounded.
I feel the same way. Should never have been in the job, but duped enough people well enough to land the position and some even now would have him stay on.

Martin Johnson was absolutely slaughtered for a QF exit in NZ after winning all the pool games, I shudder to think of the reaction if he had lost to Wales and Australia back to back at a home World Cup. Lancaster's getting off lightly in comparison.

Last edited:
I feel the same way. Should never have been in the job, but duped enough people well enough to land the position and some even now would have him stay on.

Martin Johnson was absolutely slaughtered for a QF exit in NZ after winning all the pool games, I shudder to think of the reaction if he had lost to Wales and Australia back to back at a home World Cup. Lancaster's getting off lightly in comparison.

Ashton was slaughtered for a final exit.

It's hard to compare really. Johnson is like the rugby equivalent to Bryan Robson (google him to check his football management record). Couldn't stop being mates with the players and become the man in charge.

Haven't seen the whole game, but from what I have seen one moment stood out, the way Slade put Nowell in for one of his tries. All he did was straighten, draw the defender and time a simple pass perfectly for Nowell to run on to. It's the kind of thing you're taught at U12 yet we so often fail at these basics. The ABs on the other hand repeat at will.

Doing the maths it looks like we missed half the conversions, all Ford?

Haven't seen the whole game, but from what I have seen one moment stood out, the way Slade put Nowell in for one of his tries. All he did was straighten, draw the defender and time a simple pass perfectly for Nowell to run on to. It's the kind of thing you're taught at U12 yet we so often fail at these basics. The ABs on the other hand repeat at will.

Doing the maths it looks like we missed half the conversions, all Ford?

Farrell kicked until he went off, saw him miss a couple.

Really don't care about this match in retrospect, feel most pleased that Uruguay did not get whitewashed.

Worth noting Farrell missed one kick from the same spot the crucial kick against Wales would've been, and Ford missed three from the same place

Worth noting Farrell missed one kick from the same spot the crucial kick against Wales would've been, and Ford missed three from the same place
Only Farrell's kicks are relevant, he missed two last night but there's a big difference between kicking in a throwaway game v Uruguay where the result is sealed and kicking in a must-win game v Wales. He didn't miss a damn thing v Wales.

A draw with Wales would've put England in the Quarter-finals.

I didn't think ford did anything special last night. Uruguay seemed to be the better team at the breakdown.

Our support play is pretty shoddy at times.

I didn't think ford did anything special last night. Uruguay seemed to be the better team at the breakdown.

Our support play is pretty shoddy at times.

Bang on with all three. The breakdown and support lines are crucial issues for a new coach to address.

If I was a Bath fan, I'd be defecating elephants at Ford's form. His confidence must have taken a huge knock, his stamina for the season has been diminished, whether he'll be able to simply put it all behind him is a huge question mark. Ditto Quins fans and Marler/Robshaw, and everyone else to a lesser extent.

PR fluff.

Load of ****** post match talk.

Will Wilko, Big Loz and SCW just say outright Lancaster is out of his depth.
They did.
Woodward's exasperated observation that he didn't understand how a midfield of Farrell, Burgess and Barritt could come to be selected as a unit and his repeated mantra that selection is the real key to success was as close as it gets to him saying that Lancaster didn't know what he was doing.

- - - Updated - - -

This is utter ... Damn forum rules.

And Slade was predictably great. Eeuuurrrrgghhhh 12!
12! 12! 12! Two weeks ago!

Aiiiggguuuiiiuuirrrrggghh!
Yep.
Walk telling said he'd had lots of chats with Slade and then said he liked players who had the class to use their skills to achieve a result as opposed to just showing off--Slade is class and Wilko knows it.

Farrells style is very off-putting, he's solid though, but I wish he had a different style, the constant glancing at the posts looks strange and ADHD-ish, then the rock back and kick. Do England always produce 1st 5's with weird kicking routines? To be fair, Biggars is funny as well. They are good kickers and it works for them, but it is really irritating to watch.

They did.
Woodward's exasperated observation that he didn't understand how a midfield of Farrell, Burgess and Barritt could come to be selected as a unit and his repeated mantra that selection is the real key to success was as close as it gets to him saying that Lancaster didn't know what he was doing.

What I found interesting was when LD suggested SCW should take on Performance Director role with RFU.
SCW- States that he has had discussions with RFU at their invitation but it will never happen and the opportunity has passed.
Is he telling us that RFU attitude is "our way or no way"
If so - no wonder England are where they are.

To be ignorant and arrogant guarantees that the highest price for failure will always be paid.

If I was a Bath fan, I'd be defecating elephants at Ford's form. His confidence must have taken a huge knock, his stamina for the season has been diminished, whether he'll be able to simply put it all behind him is a huge question mark. Ditto Quins fans and Marler/Robshaw, and everyone else to a lesser extent.

This is what terrifies me. New coach or not, there's a heck of a lot of pieces to pick up and glue together in time for Murrayfield.

Cue Cipriani tearing the premiership up because he dodged probably the biggest bullet of any player's career. It'll be interesting to see how Burrell, Corbisiero, Kvesic, and Attwood respond over this season too.

England were always going to run away with the game in the 2nd half so the 1st half is a better guide to performance and it was horrid. I don't want to see any of the back row play for England again really. Haskells is 100% gym monkey, any rugby nous he had as a younger player has been replaced in his brain by big is beautiful. Robshaw is so average it's painful and Easter shouldn't have been there to start with.
Goode isn't good enough but add him to the list of Lancasters favourites Barritt, Wigglesworth etc who will no doubt be in the 6 nations squad if the same coaching team remain.
I found last night's match more depressing than the Australian game.
Being a nice bloke is not enough to keep you in your job when you've consistently under performed when working at something at the highest level you can. Unless you work for the RFU it seems.

What I found interesting was when LD suggested SCW should take on Performance Director role with RFU.
SCW- States that he has had discussions with RFU at their invitation but it will never happen and the opportunity has passed.
Is he telling us that RFU attitude is "our way or no way"
If so - no wonder England are where they are.

To be ignorant and arrogant guarantees that the highest price for failure will always be paid.

I don't know enough to give a full account of the RFU's failings but that they are there is by now incredibly obvious; the All Blacks might think they're good at beating the England rugby team, but they ain't got anything on the RFU.

In fairness, that organisation is, apparently, allegedly, supposedly, hopefully, moving in the right direction. But slowly.

England were always going to run away with the game in the 2nd half so the 1st half is a better guide to performance and it was horrid. I don't want to see any of the back row play for England again really. Haskells is 100% gym monkey, any rugby nous he had as a younger player has been replaced in his brain by big is beautiful. Robshaw is so average it's painful and Easter shouldn't have been there to start with.
Goode isn't good enough but add him to the list of Lancasters favourites Barritt, Wigglesworth etc who will no doubt be in the 6 nations squad if the same coaching team remain.
I found last night's match more depressing than the Australian game.
Being a nice bloke is not enough to keep you in your job when you've consistently under performed when working at something at the highest level you can. Unless you work for the RFU it seems.
I reckon SL's problem is that he's to easily influenced by his other coaches regarding selections and likes to keep everyone happy.Unfortunately this will cost him his job.I could never understand how Andy Farrell landed his role with England.Great in league but very average in union.There has to be a new coaching team appointed quickly.I see Jake White is current favourite for the job.

Latest posts