• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool A: Fiji vs. Uruguay (06/10/2015)

I'm not sure what else the ref could have done really. I mean the game was getting out of control. That was the 3rd time in only a few minutes where things had blown up - he couldnt let that go on any longer so IMO he had to yellow them both.

On top of that he had warned both teams after the last incident so they should have all known. It certainly sux for the little halfy but he should have known better.
I take my previous comment back. I thought he had been given one yellow card for the push and another one for arguing with the ref just after that. Completely forgot about the previous one.
My bad.

I actually take my previous comment back. I thought he had been given one yellow card for the push and another one for arguing with the ref just after that. Completely forgot about the previous one.
My bad.
Ah ok, that makes sense. Yeah he got his first yellow for the no-arms tackle that led to the first (penalty) try of the match. Which obviously mean getting into more trouble after a warning was a pretty dumb-arse thing to do. It has cost him a test match against England as well which would be a pretty big deal for him I presume!

Oh man, I didnt realise this at the time, but just to add to the poor kid's pain, apparently he was awarded man of the match but then it was taken off him once he recieved his second yellow/red card. Wow - hero to zero stuff!!

How is the draw done? do you know? Cause it was also bloody stupid putting the host nation with any more than 1 top tier nation, let alone 2 + another top 10 nation. I hope they learnt form that with Japan in the next RWC. In this case not only did rugby supporters lose out because of this, but presumably world rugby (and definately the UK ecomony) lost a packet of money on it as well. However it was done it was idiotic at best!

At the time of the draw the top 4 side that had qualified (using the ranking at the end of the 2012 autumn internationals) were placed in pot 1 (New Zealand, South Africa, Australia and France). The next 4 in pot 2 (England, Ireland, Samoa, Argentina) and the final 4 in pot 3 (Wales, Italy, Tonga and Scotland). Pot 4(Americas 1(Canada), Asia 1(Japan), Europe 1(Georgia) and Oceania 1(Fiji)) and Pot 5 (Africa 1(Namibia), Americas 2(USA), Europe 2(Romania) and Repechage(Uruguay)) were made up of the side still to qualify. The 1st team drawn form each pot was put into group A the 2nd into group B and so on. The Welsh were 0.32 points behind Argentina (they lost 3-0 in there tour of Australia in the summer and lost games v New Zealand, Argentina and Australia in the autumn.) which dropped them into pot 3.

At the time of the draw the top 4 side that had qualified (using the ranking at the end of the 2012 autumn internationals) were placed in pot 1 (New Zealand, South Africa, Australia and France). The next 4 in pot 2 (England, Ireland, Samoa, Argentina) and the final 4 in pot 3 (Wales, Italy, Tonga and Scotland). Pot 4(Americas 1(Canada), Asia 1(Japan), Europe 1(Georgia) and Oceania 1(Fiji)) and Pot 5 (Africa 1(Namibia), Americas 2(USA), Europe 2(Romania) and Repechage(Uruguay)) were made up of the side still to qualify. The 1st team drawn form each pot was put into group A the 2nd into group B and so on. The Welsh were 0.32 points behind Argentina (they lost 3-0 in there tour of Australia in the summer and lost games v New Zealand, Argentina and Australia in the autumn.) which dropped them into pot 3.

Thanks for explaining that. I figured it must have been something along those lines. Do you know if they are going to stick with that format? The obvious change I would make is include the host nation in pot 1 by default. I would also consider doing the draw a bit later. Is there any reason it needs to be done so early?

I think I read somewhere possibly Brian Moore's blog that World Rugby already admits to a cocktail up on this one.

Problem is next time, you have 10 tier 1 teams & 1 host nation and only 8 QF places(not accounting for at least one upset from a tier 2 team). Not entirely sure how you make it work. Let's not blame World Rugby though England with Wales' injury issues had the talent to make it it through and we're let down my multiple management errors. World Rugby should look into the system that allowed it to happen but nope cop the blame.

- - - Updated - - -

Foe example the fix above merely moves England to pot 1 and France to pot 2. The issue happened due to Wales being in pot 3.

Thanks for explaining that. I figured it must have been something along those lines. Do you know if they are going to stick with that format? The obvious change I would make is include the host nation in pot 1 by default. I would also consider doing the draw a bit later. Is there any reason it needs to be done so early?

The reason for the silly early draw was all about logistics apparently! They needed to know the pools to start arranging the venues, accommodation etc

Great to see Fiji win. Love the rugby they play.

I thought the referee did his best in a very challenging situation. The last 20-30 minutes of that match was completely disgraceful in all honesty (save for Uruguay's surge, and the Fijian comeback in quick succession). I thought whenever JP Doyle blew the whistle it made sense and I could understand it. I hate how referees have one set of rules for one team, and another set for the second side. Doyle was calm, collected (as much as you could be) and dealt to the players of each side in a way which was appropriate.

Latest posts