• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool A: England vs. Uruguay (10/10/2015)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
vTRhZ65.png

England.png
Versus%20Telstra.png
Uruguay.png

Manchester City Stadium, Manchester (10/10/2015, 20:00)
Pool A, Round 4

Referee: Chris Pollock
23px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png

The England side for this game will be extremely interesting.

Slade has to be in?

Probably not going to be watching this one as I'm in Corfu and pretty much any side England put out should be able to comfortably win this and it counts for nothing.

I'd like us to go all out attacking but I've no idea what that's going to prove if anything. Really wish we had real opposition even a Tier 2 side proper to play like Japan so we can at least go out with our heads held high. Instead were going to give one of the tournaments true minnows a real thumping to make ourselves feel better even though it won't.

Yeah, I'd like to see all the unused guys in and some attacking combos around.

Mako, George, Brookes
Launch, Kruis
Wood, Haskell, Morgan
Care, Ford
May, Burgess, Slade, Nowell
Watson

Youngs, Marler, Wilson, Lawes(Inj?), Easter, Youngs, Joseph, Goode

I don't think Lancaster will switch it around that much though.

What the team will look like I think:
1.Wilson
2.George
3.Brookes
4.Kruis
5.Parling
6.Haskell
7.Robshaw
8.Morgan

9.Care
10.Ford
11.May
12.Slade
13.Joseph
14.Nowell
15.Goode

16.Youngs 17.Mako 18.Cole 19.Launchbury 20.Wood 21.Youngs 22.Farrell 23.Burgess

Slade probably won't play 12 though, he'll show up SL for not selecting him so Lancaster might not put him there..

Almost completely forgot Care was in the squad. How did he get demoted to no. 3 scrum half? Heart of most things we did well in 2014 6 nations and now not on the bench...

Wigglesworth is an alright player but as far as I can remember he's never made a telling difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Almost completely forgot Care was in the squad. How did he get demoted to no. 3 scrum half? Heart of most things we did well in 2014 6 nations and now not on the bench...

Wigglesworth is an alright player but as far as I can remember he's never made a telling difference.

Forwards: choose any as long as Marler and Cole don't start.
Backs: Care, Ford, Farrell, Joseph, Nowell, Watson and Brown. Subs: Youngs, Slade and Goode.
Aim: to win by at least 80 points and show world rugby we aren't a complete shower of ****.

Forwards: choose any as long as Marler and Cole don't start.
Backs: Care, Ford, Farrell, Joseph, Nowell, Watson and Brown. Subs: Youngs, Slade and Goode.
Aim: to win by at least 80 points and show world rugby we aren't a complete shower of ****.

Too late...

Agreed I'm surprised he hasn't had a start already, Tomas Francis commented recently that Slade has the X factor.

Most English fans would agree with that too. It just makes me depressed every time I think he was not selected as the like for like Joseph injury replacement before the Eng v Wales match. But actually worse, is the fact he has not been more integrated and used more over the previous two years.

Uruguay to win easy, with Luis Suarez to score a ...... oops.... wrong sport :D

- - - Updated - - -

I would think a complete rethink on team selection and then put them in the starting 23. Who knows ? Might be good.

Hypothetically if England lose, they would presumably risk having to go through World Cup 2019 qualifiers..

Not saying there is any chance of it happening...but what an amusing prospect.

Hypothetically if England lose, they would presumably risk having to go through World Cup 2019 qualifiers..

Not saying there is any chance of it happening...but what an amusing prospect.
Not true we have 6 points, Fiji and Uruguay are on 0.

- - - Updated - - -

Not true we have 6 points, Fiji and Uruguay are on 0.
Wait it could happen if Uruguay beat both Fiji and us.....man that would be depressing.

Agreed I'm surprised he hasn't had a start already, Tomas Francis commented recently that Slade has the X factor.

Ironically the X Factor is what England's fans will be watching instead of knock out rugby over the next few weekends.

I can see us being really poor in this game. How easy can it be to raise yourself to play properly against a minnow you know you're going to thrash a week after the utter humiliation they've just suffered, with nothing to play for? Especially with little need to impress the coaching staff, given the very real possibility many of them won't be coaching England again. I don't think any player will actually want to play this game, it's something to be got out the way before bowing out of the unwelcome limelight.

I really could see us conceding a couple of soft tries, winning by 15-20 with lots of missed chances, limping through to the final whistle and a really awkward lap of dishonour before sloping off to the changing rooms in shame.

I can see us being really poor in this game. How easy can it be to raise yourself to play properly against a minnow you know you're going to thrash a week after the utter humiliation they've just suffered, with nothing to play for? Especially with little need to impress the coaching staff, given the very real possibility many of them won't be coaching England again. I don't think any player will actually want to play this game, it's something to be got out the way before bowing out of the unwelcome limelight.

I really could see us conceding a couple of soft tries, winning by 15-20 with lots of missed chances, limping through to the final whistle and a really awkward lap of dishonour before sloping off to the changing rooms in shame.

This.

Part of me hopes he selects Burgess and Barritt again to try and convince us that they're capable of attack (Look! They can beat Uruguay!) and then they screw up completely and waste overlap after overlap. Only way to ensure the former never plays centre again and the latter never plays for England again.

The only other outcome is he selects the reserve players and, in typical Lancaster style, they play far better rugby than the first choice. Indirectly helping whatever coach is left/comes in by giving them the spine of the team to play versus Scotland in 2016.

Latest posts