• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

"england do not deserve your support"

He is absolutely bang on. Sport at the top level has been ruined by egos and money. I prefer to watch my local non league side Northwich Victoria, the game hasn't been ruined at that level and there is still a connection with the fans and passion.

Some people say that Hape isn't English... but he's been playing in the country for 8 years (which surely gives him the right to feel English?), including playing all of his rugby union years here, and only played in NZ for 3 years as an adult.

The proof of Hape's loyalty will come when he retires. If he truly loves England then he will spend the rest of his life there.

The proof of Hape's loyalty will come when he retires. If he truly loves England then he will spend the rest of his life there.
But nationality doesn't have to be a "pick one" state of affairs. Look at Ben Morgan: it appears on the surface as if he could play for either Wales or England. Lots of people also live between two countries, like Piers Morgan, Richard Dawkins, Hugh Laurie, Rich Hall... I mean, a lot of immigrants might feel British whilst still feeling nostalgic about their birthplace. Hape may well go back home to be with his family, but when he's 50-odd and England come on in the 20-- world cup, I'd be surprised if he didn't stand up and shout for us.

Last edited:
Yep, Mark Reason is one of the biggest tools in sports Journalism. You just have to read some of his comments - http://www.therugbysite.com/contributors/1

Shame he immigrated to New Zealand. I remember I time when Dunedin journalism had a real sense of community...

He is absolutely bang on. Sport at the top level has been ruined by egos and money. I prefer to watch my local non league side Northwich Victoria, the game hasn't been ruined at that level and there is still a connection with the fans and passion.

Cosigned. Club sports is a joke these days. Sure, there are only a handful of non-English players but the destruction of club sports started in the same way. At the rate we're going, China will field the best national teams for every sport. LOL.

Latest posts