• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Post-WC discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
So there we have it, Jones no better than the rest.

Bit of an over-reaction, surely?

I get that Tigers fans will be annoyed at the Tom Youngs omission, but Jones has already said he wants hookers who can hook, and he obviously thinks Youngs is too old to learn, unlike LCD. I wonder if he will be called up if LCD doesn´t recover in time. You should be happy about the scrum half selection, though - I would have had two of the scrum halves with better basics (Simpson, Cook) in there with Youngs, but with only Care alongside him in the squad he´s got a very good chance of starting, since Care is a similar scrum half to Youngs, but without Youngs main attribute (can we get rid of that point of difference crap?), namely that he is very good at running a game. His kicking is also worse than Youngs, which clinches it in my opinion (and is why I think we will miss Simpson and Cook not being there - did you see Cook´s 60 metre box kick against Toulon?).

Anyway, apart from the scrum half selection, I am very happy with the squad. Jones has got rid of most of the ´honest grafters´ that Lancaster loved to pick, and hopefully we will only see one (Haskell or Robshaw at 6, although I really hope it is Itoje) in the back row, which will have a much better balance as a result. Barritt going is a very good sign - it shows that Jones picks the team and Gustard then teaches them how to defend, rather than having the defence coach picking the team a la Lancaster-Farrell, and even Johnson-Ford. Burrell going is also a good sign, as it shows (apart from Tuilagi, who I can see playing on the wing) that Jones doesn´t want one-dimensional players in the midfield. Back three I´m not crazy about, but hopefully May and Wade will come back into it in the summer.

Hartley FFS.

What has he done in the last year really.

Ashton over Roko makes me sick.

Basically my thoughts right here. Forgot to mention Goode though, another depressing one. Seems like there's still a touch of Sarries love there.

Kvesic is only injury cover though, that presumably puts him at the bottom of the back row pecking order, still not entirely happy about that to be honest.

Good to see Kvesic in, hopefully he actually gets a chance and isn't simply filling the gap until Ewers comes back (who i'm also glad to see)

Single biggest gripe is Splashton still in and no Roko.

Of course, Yarde over Roko is still an odd decision.
Equally, I'd far rather see Simpson in that squad; but I can't disagree that there were more important changes to make (though I'd have used that change and kept TYoungs instead of Hartley to allow it)

I would have kept Wilson in and Youngs in and have put Simpson in the squad and Roko in.

My only problem with the whole squad is Ashton instead of Roko but I'm happy to let it roll until we see the team play

Ashton, Hartley, Goode, Thomas - BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
No Roko or Fraser or Cips - BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Very happy for Beaumont - must've really stung them to pick a guy from a Northern Club. I imagine Big Bill working in the RFU, combined with his consistently excellent form, made it impossible to snub him, though.

Cips -----> Toulon.

Depends if they an offload Cooper (which I imagine Boudjellalalalalalalalalal wants to) - he's BFFL with James O'Connor, and almost signed for them last year, so would make sense.

Out of interest; here are the actual changes.
For those suggesting different changes, you have to un-make one of these:

1. Richard Wigglesworth <=> Matt Mullan
2. Rob Webber <=> Luke Cowan-Dickie
3. Tom Youngs <=> Dylan Hartley
4. Davey Wilson <=> Paul Hill
5. Geoff Parling <=> Maro Itoje
6. Tom Wood <=> Dave Ewers
7. Callum Clarke <=> Jack Clifford
8. Ben Morgan <=> Josh Beaumont
9. Brad Barritt <=> Manu Tuilagi
10. You Know Who <=> Elliot Daly
11. Jonny May <=> Marlon Yarde

From England twitter: Jones says @ChrisRobshaw been playing really well at 6 "probably because he has half a number off his back!"

Well, he´s already been more amusing than Lancaster was in all his press conferences over the three and half years he was in charge. He´s already made more sense too, especially when talking about what a 7 needs to do.

He's also said:
"We've got 33 players, then it gets down to 23, then we have to pick 15, then I'll worry about the captain."
Could anyone be captain then?
"Yeah, you could be captain, mate."
I assume that was Tom Wood asking the questions?

Out of interest; here are the actual changes.
For those suggesting different changes, you have to un-make one of these:

1. Richard Wigglesworth <=> Matt Mullan
2. Rob Webber <=> Luke Cowan-Dickie
3. Tom Youngs <=> Dylan Hartley
4. Davey Wilson <=> Paul Hill
5. Geoff Parling <=> Maro Itoje
6. Tom Wood <=> Dave Ewers
7. Callum Clarke <=> Jack Clifford
8. Ben Morgan <=> Josh Beaumont
9. Brad Barritt <=> Manu Tuilagi
10. You Know Who <=> Elliot Daly
11. Jonny May <=> Marlon Yarde

Wilson and Youngs.

Getting rid of youngs sends a message. Please learn to hook and scrimmage . It was the right call to exclude him from the squad although I'd have had yendle not LCD in my squad.

Couldn't they have not replaced May, which leaves you an extra spot (to ditch Goode) while also then bringing in Yarde as an injury replacement?

So what we'll likely see
1.Vunipola
2.Hartley (c)
3.Cole
4.Kruis
5.Launchbury
6.Robshaw
7.Clifford
8.Vunipola
9.Youngs
10.Farrell
11.Nowell
12.Hill
13.Joseph
14.Ashton
15.Brown
That's just what I think we'll see. Positions most likely to change will be 7/12/14 as I think Kvesic will outshine Clifford in training. Ashton doesn't really depend on the style of play, I think he could do very well, equally could be dog....

Couldn't they have not replaced May, which leaves you an extra spot (to ditch Goode) while also then bringing in Yarde as an injury replacement?

Yes, he could have done that - but it means that as and when May is fit again, he'd come in for Yarde (either mid-6N or for the summer tour) - which presumably Eddie didn't want happening.
It's one of the more obvious ways to allow himself extra movement (I'd have done that, and brought Simpson in for Goode)

Looking at the declared injury replacements is it something to do with the fact May won't play as he won't be fit for the 6 nations? So EJ has to drop him from EPS entirely or not get a replacement. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a stupid rule like that so he has 11 changes including for injuries but if someone could potentially come back he can declare who they swap with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts