• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Post-WC discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Richard Cockerill saying what many of us have been saying.

Stop trying to play like other teams and play to Englands strengths....

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-unio...ls-england-to-stop-trying-to-copy-new-zealand

One thing's for sure, we can't give players a national shirt and then ask them to do something different to what they do for their clubs....which got them selected in the first place.

But equally NZ in particular have raised the bar and I think we will always be playing catch up unless and until the clubs as a whole start playing a little more adventurously. None of the AP games I've seen this season have made my heart sing. Attritional and committed, yes. Full of good technique and skills executed at pace, not really.

^this

- - - Updated - - -

I'd say one of biggest faults has been trying to hold onto our perceived strengths too much and not looking at who the best players are that are available and then devising a game plan that works for those players.

Yes, yes and yes.

Due to style of rugby in AP we always stand a chance of having a powerful pack.

However the big development in the last 18 months, prior to the Wales debacle was a set of dangerous running backs.

We need a hooker who can hook channel 1 ball and deliver line out ball that can at times when the field position is right, release these backs.

There may be times when pushing opposition all over the pitch and chipping away with penalties is the right game plan. However if it's all you can do, you won't win a RWC or even 6N for that matter.

Re the above post, I think with more clubs going down the artificial pitch route we may well see a more expansive game.

At present Welford Road in mid winter ain't the place for running rugby... I believe even they have. Nice new pitch coming next season!

Last edited:
I was surprised that Yeandle was as young as he was as well - I was looking through u20s squads before and saw him playing with a number of current internationals.
I like him a lot, too. I think the reason LCD is more spoken about is because he was one of the golden boys from the JWC winning side.

I was surprised that Yeandle was as young as he was as well - I was looking through u20s squads before and saw him playing with a number of current internationals.
I like him a lot, too. I think the reason LCD is more spoken about is because he was one of the golden boys from the JWC winning side.

Surely players like him deserve a Saxon's run out to gauge their ability to set up.

I agree that too many players like him are dismissed without being properly considered.

Re the above post, I think with more clubs going down the artificial pitch route we may well see a more expansive game.

At present Welford Road in mid winter ain't the place for running rugby... I believe even they have. Nice new pitch coming next season!

We have a nice new pitch now.

We are getting Desso next year though by sounds of it.

Robshaw starting at 6 for Quins tomorrow.
When's the last time he did that? Usually he'll be 7 and Wallace will be shifted to 6.

According to the Telegraph, of 6 October the potential replacements for Lancaster could be:

Clive Woordward
Graham Henry
Eddie Jones
Jake White
Jim Mallinder
Rob Baxter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/34727588

Control of the England team should be removed from the Rugby Football Union, says former centre Simon Halliday.
The ex-RFU board member has called for "serious structural change" to improve the fortunes of the the national side.
The RFU, led by chief executive Ian Ritchie, is conducting a review into England's early World Cup exit.

But Halliday, who won 23 international caps and is European Professional Club Rugby chairman, wants a separate "elite" team to manage England.

So... instead of looking toward the models that work, the creeps that are ruining the national game in England (and probably France too) are looking yet more control.

Oh look, Amiga's turned up to have another pop at the English!

Yawn!

I'll put money on it being Jake White.

And I have mixed feelings about that.

It's too early for Baxter, still has work to do at Exe and needs to prove himself.

Would Henry be interested, if have thought he'd achieved all he wanted to as NZ coach.

Malinder, doesn't do it for me I'm afraid.

Jake White, I'd be happy with that, he has also made noises that he is interested.

Eddie Jones, would be my first pick.

Sir Clive, not as coach but as DOR or Performance Director, needs to be the buffer between Jones and RFU. He will created the environment for Jones and team to succeed.

I'd have the likes of Baxter/Ford/Booth etc involved, as we need to consider some sort of succession plan.

Eddie Jones with Rob Baxter as assistant ? That could work.

According to the Telegraph, of 6 October the potential replacements for Lancaster could be:

Clive Woordward
Graham Henry
Eddie Jones
Jake White
Jim Mallinder
Rob Baxter

A lot happens in a month...actually, not much at all.
However, Baxter, Mallinder, Woodward and Henry have all pretty much ruled themselves out.

Don't think Woodward wants the coach's job... He wants Rob Andrew's as that is his area of expertise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts