• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Post-WC discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't blame Hughes for his decision, plenty of Pacific Islanders have played for NZ over the years.

The vast majority of whom were born and raised in NZ, and came through their systems.
Hughes was born and raised in Fiji and has already played for/was vice-captain at a non-lock-in level.

It's, unfortunately, inevitable but I wouldn't have him anywhere near an England shirt.

The vast majority of whom were born and raised in NZ, and came through their systems.
Hughes was born and raised in Fiji and has already played for/was vice-captain at a non-lock-in level.

It's, unfortunately, inevitable but I wouldn't have him anywhere near an England shirt.

Hughes will still have played the majority of his professional rugby in England. Hell, he only started at 17, so he's near enough going to have played the majority of his rugby in general in England not too long after.

Still a complete poach, but we're not bringing over someone who found an English granny in their late 20s.

Is he as good as a fully fit and on form Billy or Ben?

Hughes will still have played the majority of his professional rugby in England. Hell, he only started at 17, so he's near enough going to have played the majority of his rugby in general in England not too long after.

Still a complete poach, but we're not bringing over someone who found an English granny in their late 20s.

Rather an English granny than that TBH.

Is he as good as a fully fit and on form Billy or Ben?

Imo he was better than both last year and has started this season really well . If I was the coach I would simply pick whoever is playing the best at the time but Hughes is the best 8 in the premiership at the moment .... He's a really special player if you ask me

Last edited:
I like the flowerpot men a lot and feel they could go all the way but...

Morgan needs to stop shipping so many knocks and would ideally raise his defensive game to match his attacking game. Ball in hand, he looks world class when on form, but I'm greedy and want more.

Vunipola doesn't strike me as being as comfortable ranging wide as I like my 8s to be and I'd like to see him really hurt teams ball in hand.

Hughes may be a dirty mercenary but he's strong at the breakdown and can really hurt teams carrying. He's arguably a more complete player and I think whoever the next coach is should go to both Bill and Ben, hand them a video and say "You guys are fighting over the 8 shirt for now but unless you can lift your game this lad's probably going to have you fighting for the 20 shirt."

Which is not to even mention Beaumont, who continues impressing and also looks to have a nice all round game.

I like the flowerpot men a lot and feel they could go all the way but...

Morgan needs to stop shipping so many knocks and would ideally raise his defensive game to match his attacking game. Ball in hand, he looks world class when on form, but I'm greedy and want more.

Vunipola doesn't strike me as being as comfortable ranging wide as I like my 8s to be and I'd like to see him really hurt teams ball in hand.

Hughes may be a dirty mercenary but he's strong at the breakdown and can really hurt teams carrying. He's arguably a more complete player and I think whoever the next coach is should go to both Bill and Ben, hand them a video and say "You guys are fighting over the 8 shirt for now but unless you can lift your game this lad's probably going to have you fighting for the 20 shirt."

Which is not to even mention Beaumont, who continues impressing and also looks to have a nice all round game.

Yep couldn't agree more on this ! If Hughes takes the 8 shirt Beaumonts ability to play at 4,5,6 and 8 could have Bill and Ben fighting over an EPS spot and that's only going to be good for English rugby .

I bet Olyy is wishing he hadn't cried wolf over the supposed qualities of his ****house yeomen for the last 5 years.

My back row for Scotland

6) Ewers
7) Kvesic
8) Beaumont

I think that's balanced...

It offers so much more in my opinion, covers all core basics and has that little extra.

In your dreams you choose.... a Maserati?

Of all the cars you could pick? :(

Much rather a Defender if you're worried about room in the back... frankly I'd much rather a Defender, full stop... but that might just be me.

Yeah can see that happening in the same dream I get to bang Rachael Riley on the back seat of my brand new Masarati.

Have to tell you that that is really worth aiming for!!!

Hughes will still have played the majority of his professional rugby in England.

4 years in the ITM cup vs a touch over 2 in the Premiership...
Captained his country at 'A' grade...

I've just got zero time for people who turn their backs on their countries in search of more money. He renewed his Wasps contract last year so is probably on close to/over £100k a year. For playing rugby.
Forgive me if my heart doesn't bleed for him.

I just hope that over the course of this next season (i.e. in the countdown to Hughes being eligible) our new coach finds/settles on his ideal no.8/back up 8/reserve 8 and we can tell Hughes to swivel.

I just hope that over the course of this next season (i.e. in the countdown to Hughes being eligible) our new coach finds/settles on his ideal no.8/back up 8/reserve 8 and we can tell Hughes to swivel.

Or even better... WR change the eligibility rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts