• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Post-WC discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be worse for England, still pretty poor for Exeter.

Not to mention for the players wanting to state a case in Europe.

Exactly, I'd say Lees and Waldrom excluded, all of them would be either in the eps or knocking on the door

http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk...tory-28511260-detail/story.html#ixzz3x3v8vP9M

[FONT=open_sans]The 33-man group is expected to include exciting newcomers like Wasps centre Elliot Daly, Saracens forward Maro Itoje and Harlequins flanker Jack Clifford.

[/FONT]
[FONT=open_sans]Exeter Chiefs back Sam Hill and Sale Sharks number eight Josh Beaumont – the son of England's 1980 Grand Slam captain Bill Beaumont – are also thought to have made an impression on Jones.[/FONT]
[FONT=open_sans]World Cup squad members Brad Barritt, Tom Wood, Joe Marler, Exeter's Geoff Parling and Richard Wigglesworth could all miss out as Jones builds towards the Six Nations opener against Scotland at Murrayfield on February 6.[/FONT]
[FONT=open_sans]Tuilagi, Exeter's Hill, Daly and Bath's Jonathan Joseph are the probable centres in Jones' squad, although it is expected that Saracens' Owen Farrell will wear the number 12 shirt against Scotland, with George Ford at fly-half and Daly or Joseph filling outside centre duties.[/FONT]

Also says Roko and Ashton "on his radar".

Dropping Marler completely would be a BIG call.
No mention of Cipriani.
Not massively enthused over Farrell as the 12 for Scotland, but if Hill's in the squad hopefully that wouldn't last long.
Daly would be a very deserved call up, and we've needed a long range boot since Delon left for warmer shores.
Hope Beaumont has made the cut.
Swapping Wood with Clifford is a great bit of business.

Also happy at the Roko mention, really hope he makes it - if Nowell recovers in time then a Nowell/Roko wing partnership would be brilliant.

If we had Cipriani at 10 then I'd even be OK with Ashton (as long as one of Roko/Nowell is there to help cover his defensive issues, tracking back)

I like a lot of that but still not happy with Ashton, the guy is a perfect example of someone who does not perform outside the club and his defence is woeful, he genuinely seems to be afraid of tackling players. Sarries do a good job masking his problems but he was getting shown up time and time and time again as a revolving door internationally who is incapable of producing anything himself, it all needs the rest of the team to hand it to him.

Dropping Marler is a big call but he can't scrummage well at all now. I'd keep eyes on him incase he regains his form but he is known for angling in both internationally and now at club level. The last thing you want in your scrum is a player with a bad reputation.

Nowell not as bad as first feared, not training this week - knee.

Do you know if this is the same knee that he had surgery on in the off season before last? I don't mean to be the prophet of doom, but in someone of his age, it doesn't bode well for the longevity of his career.

Sounds good although I would swap ashton with lewington

Do you know if this is the same knee that he had surgery on in the off season before last? I don't mean to be the prophet of doom, but in someone of his age, it doesn't bode well for the longevity of his career.

I'm not 100% certain but I think so. I think he had his left operated on judging by how it's always got strapping on and he seemed to twist his left one at the weekend.

Yes it is the same knee Nowell had trouble with the last time.

If Kruis and Launchbury are injured than Parling, who apparently is playing well for Chiefs, may well be in Eddie's squad with Kitchener too.
I've not seen Lewington play, but from what I've read he's thrown his hat into the ring - hopefully at the expense of Ashton.
A back row of Beaumont, Kvesic/Clifford and Croft would be great, but it's unlikely to happen.
Farrell at 12 doesn't exactly light up England's attack, although Tuilagi with Joseph/Daly would.

I know this is super childish but I don't want really want to support a coach that picks Ashton. I know Jones deserves his chance to show he can get something more out of him, I know a single player isn't definitive and that Jones should be completely supported at first... but there's a short list of players who've failed so badly in an England shirt that I'm really unhappy about their presence, particularly if this is going to be a long term Sarries bias again. And I'm not feeling too patient. If he's going to redo the detritus, he needs to make his point quick.

Ditto Hartley.

So it's going to be 11 changes maximum (+ injury freebies, who for now have to be named as the injured players).

LHP. MVunipola; Marler; Auterac/Waller
HK. George; TYoungs; Haywood
THP. Cole*; Thomas*; Brookes (Wilson*)
LK. Launchbury; Kruis; Itoje****; Lawes
FL. Robshaw; Kvesic; Clifford
#8. BVunipola; Beaumont
SH. Simpson; BYoungs; Care
FH. Ford; Farrelll
CE. Devoto/Williams; Daly; Joseph; Slade (Tuilagi)
B3. Watson; Rokoduguni; Brown; Nowell

* Well who else is there?

TBH, I'm happy with just 11 changes; I could even do it in 10 (leave May in there, bringing Roko in as injury replacement); though I'd ideally like a 12th to allow me to get rid of Care, it's not that big an issue for me. I can certainly get the match-day 23 I suggested last week (I discussed my more controversial picks there).
I know there's a couple of other injured players I haven't put a replacement for - but unless I've lost track, they still have a chance of returning in time.

I would wait and see reality tomorrow than base any thoughts on speculation from some hacks!!

JJ, Daly in the 23 shirt (with the hope our wings don't get injured :p)

On current form; Daly.
But it would also depend a little on who's inside them; I wouldn't really want to pair Daly with another newbie at centre. Personally I think that, at IC I'd basically say "sod it" and start with Devoto or Williams at IC; in which case Joseph starts at 13.
However, if Manu hits the ground running on his return, and plays 12, then I'd start Daly at 13 (though that might backfire completely if Manu needs to keep being reminded he's playing 12 not 13, he'll need someone comfortable enough at the level to have that spare mental capacity)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts