• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England squad for SA tour

Dowson did ok but Morgan turned up and nailed the 8 shirt. He is a good grafting forward the type of player any side would want but.....thats all he is. bit of a Martin Corry but he doesnt have Corrys rough edge and ability to be very hard when needed.

Morgan is one of the least replacable players. :(

If this means that Nick Easter gets recalled I might throw up in a jiffy bag and post it to the RFU.

When does Ernst Joubert qualify? I get the feeling it is after this tour.
Could anybody clarify?

Hopefully never.
But more realistically: Hopefully after this tour. I'd take Nick "Chocolate Teapot" Easter over another old-aged-residency guy.

If Morgan were to be out then it'd be interesting to see how the backrow goes!
Probably:
6. Robshaw (C)
7. Haskell
8. Dowson

19. ??? Hard to say, depends who makes the tour. With Wood/Croft out then it's going to be someone new anyway, so could be any of Waldrom, Narraway, Fearns, A.N Other

The english backrow situation would have to be very critical to take Easter again. Don't all the other guys play 8? I've seen at least Haskell, Robshaw and Armitage there.

Hopefully never.
But more realistically: Hopefully after this tour. I'd take Nick "Chocolate Teapot" Easter over another old-aged-residency guy.

If Morgan were to be out then it'd be interesting to see how the backrow goes!
Probably:
6. Robshaw (C)
7. Haskell
8. Dowson

19. ??? Hard to say, depends who makes the tour. With Wood/Croft out then it's going to be someone new anyway, so could be any of Waldrom, Narraway, Fearns, A.N Other

I'd hope 6. Robshaw, 7. Armitage 8. Haskell before that...

As would I, I don't think he'll tour though, despite being on fantastic form.

on the subject of Morgan, the sooner he comes to Gloucester the better. It's infuriating how much the celtic international players get to skive off league duty, and Morgan must keep plugging away and getting injured...

Players I'd rather see at 8 before Easter: Dowson, Haskell, Armitage, Fearns, Robshaw, Narraway, Dallaglio, Martin Corry, Dean Ryan etc. etc.

Charlie Sharples?
Would like to see the opposition keep up with him off the scrum.

Easter's being a little underrated. I like him, but there are better players we could have and can play at 8.

We were struggling for big ball carriers during the six nations, so bearing this in mind, if Morgan were to be injured, I'd like to see either Waldrom at 8, and/or Haskell/Robshaw at 6.
6. Robshaw 7. Armitage 8. Waldrom 19. Haskell
would be a great backrow.

Isn't Waldrum already a 30-something import?

Does a good job for Leicester, but he shouldn't wear an England shirt.

We have Narraway, Dowson and at a push Waldrum. Easter has been playing well but Lancaster really doesnt seem to want him back in the side so I think its something deeper than just ability.

Morgan is a loss but you have to expect these injuries at the end of the season we have players who can replace the likes of Croft, Wood and Morgan and it will keep selection competitive.

Maybe I haven't seen enough of the Tigers recently, but when I have in the past, Waldrom has put in some excellent performances and is regularly the best player on the pitch. He strikes me as one of the best ball carriers in the Premiership, and if Morgan is injured, England desperately need to replace the carrying he gets through. I'm not sure whether people hold his ability or nationality against him, but I've thought Waldrom to be the next best English-qualified 8 (in fact, I had it in my mind that he's as good as Morgan), and he's only 29, so young enough to make the next WC.

Waldrom would be a decent enough option - has barely any int. experience, but has been around club rugby, both NH and SH, for years so would hopefully be able to step up well enough.
He has been on great form for Tigers, so I wouldn't be too adversed against him playing, though I don't particularly agree with him in an England shirt (despite him being qualified by blood).
Hopefully it won't come down to it and we can have Robshaw, Armitage and Haskell with Fearns on the bench instead.

Easter has been playing well but Lancaster really doesnt seem to want him back in the side so I think its something deeper than just ability.

More than likely because he's too slow to maintain the defensive line. It's why he's always at the back fielding long kicks that he should really be leaving to the back three. He's been great at the premiership level for years but now that he's getting on he lacks the combination of pace/work-rate that we should be getting out of an international back row.

For 'propaganda' purposes we need to at least pretend we have a better alternative to easter...otherwise all of blighty will lose morale and the tour will be lost before even beginning.
In seriousness, the decision not to pick easter and the other crusty old men for the six nations was made on a principle of getting young players through the system and developing. Can't see lancaster going back on this whilst there are other alternatives like fearns.

Team gets announced on Thursday, which is exciting.
Saw it mentioned in an article about Rob Miller where Lancaster was praising him.
Don't think Miller will tour though, as he said something along the lines of "he's facing stiff competition from the likes of Foden, Brown and Goode" which makes me think they're the three fullbacks touring (even if Goode is yyyyaaaaawwwwnnnnn).

Latest posts