• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England v France

there r no friendlies in soccer but leeme ask u a qn, which would u trade, winning every game between WCs bar the knock out ones in a WC or losing for 4 years and winning the WC? be honest now lol

[/quote] u sure are right, i'd rather lose every game in between WC's.

England have persevered against the odds, and my respect for them has risen tremendously over this World Cup. I support them, being English, but was half-hearted about them. No longer. The swaggering big-heads of the rugby world have all but gone. Only the Boks remain, and I hope Argentina, SH or not, turn them over similarly.
i too have grown extremely fond of england during this RWC. after the australian game, my respect for them grew ten fold! i am now rooting for them to win the whole thing! either them or argentina.

England can't score tries.
From what I saw it was one nil last night.

England are boring.
What I saw was a beautiful synergy of forwards and backs constantly pushing the French back and defending like Spartans.

England can't break the line.
Well I saw both Jason Robinson and Dan Hipkiss breaking the line almost every time they received the ball... Besides, this is the French defence that stopped NZ from getting past them. Very impressive.

England are ugly.
Well, I thought again, the combination of forwards and backs picking and going, battering the fringes, the strength and heart of the team putting in a huge performance was pretty beautiful. As was Johnny's final drop goal from over 40 yards out. Now that's how to win a game.

Rugby Union is a 15 man game - to say the backs were not invloved is just not true. The beauty of union is that it mixes the brain with the brawn. The flair with the tactics. For those of you who want freeflowing there is a game called rugby league, maybe you should stick to watching that or 7's? That is not what Union has ever been or should be.

I supect that our SH friends are starting to wake up to the fact that even though they may be more athletic and have superior ball skills they will not win in games like these. Why? They just can't play the way that is required. They want to change the rules to give themselves a chance, that's all.

The ab's choked, aussie had a shite front 5 (for years they have covered this with illegal tactics) - when push come to shove the shear belief and mental strength of the english is what sets them apart. Oh and one Jonny Wilkinson.

Wilko may not be the most graceful or naturally talented of 10's in the world - but when your back is against the wall and the pressure is on - who would you want Wilko or Carter? His defence and mental strength is second to none.

I am very very proud. We will never surrender.

England can't score tries.
From what I saw it was one nil last night.

England are boring.
What I saw was a beautiful synergy of forwards and backs constantly pushing the French back and defending like Spartans.

England can't break the line.
Well I saw both Jason Robinson and Dan Hipkiss breaking the line almost every time they received the ball... Besides, this is the French defence that stopped NZ from getting past them. Very impressive.

England are ugly.
Well, I thought again, the combination of forwards and backs picking and going, battering the fringes, the strength and heart of the team putting in a huge performance was pretty beautiful. As was Johnny's final drop goal from over 40 yards out. Now that's how to win a game.

Rugby Union is a 15 man game - to say the backs were not invloved is just not true. The beauty of union is that it mixes the brain with the brawn. The flair with the tactics. For those of you who want freeflowing there is a game called rugby league, maybe you should stick to watching that or 7's? That is not what Union has ever been or should be.

I supect that our SH friends are starting to wake up to the fact that even though they may be more athletic and have superior ball skills they will not win in games like these. Why? They just can't play the way that is required. They want to change the rules to give themselves a chance, that's all.

The ab's choked, aussie had a shite front 5 (for years they have covered this with illegal tactics) - when push come to shove the shear belief and mental strength of the english is what sets them apart. Oh and one Jonny Wilkinson.

Wilko may not be the most graceful or naturally talented of 10's in the world - but when your back is against the wall and the pressure is on - who would you want Wilko or Carter? His defence and mental strength is second to none.

I am very very proud. We will never surrender.
[/b]

England are boring (don't bullshit yourself if your thinking otherwise), but effective and that's all that counts so why change. And you still can't compare Carter and Wilko in terms of mentality, Carter went off in the 50th minute (against France) so who knows what he could've pulled in the final 10mins. Still, Wilko doesn't fold so I'd want him in terms of having someone you can rely on. He's just uber cool.

Although you won, this by far is the worst way a team can win. It's just down right ugly. I'm not having a crack at England, after all they get the job done where it counts. So congrats, even though you are the most boring and ugly team I have witnessed and that's not exaggerating.

bitter sour grapes i expect from the Aussies, but Kiwis beaten last week by the French now cheering them on against England Tut tut.

two words for kiwis RAINBOW WARRIOR nuff said

Um, as enjoyable as it is to read all the to and fro on this thread I do feel a little uncomfortable with the persistent SH generalisations. :mellow:
We don't ALL share the same opinions, we don't ALL always see things the same way - I agree there wasn't much scintillating rugby going on in last night's game and I probably would've preferred France to win for the tournament's sake but IT WAS GRIPPING STUFF right to the very end. And well done England
Mostly the guys sniffing about "how the game is supposed to be played" do so only because they have no other argument to offer - the teams they support were caught short where it matters, on the scoreboard.
Nervously expectant of a 'Bok win over Argentina tonight, but if we aren't careful we can get spanked....

bitter sour grapes i expect from the Aussies, but Kiwis beaten last week by the French now cheering them on against England Tut tut.

two words for kiwis RAINBOW WARRIOR nuff said
[/b]

that's not surprising me as well, leave the politics matters their way, we're talking Rugby.

And here, I feel, I mainly think with Irish men, we are or at least try to be much more closer to the NZ game than from the English when they play like yesterday.
So I feel today like all NZelander must have felt last week when they have been beaten by a weaker nation, with the slight difference of at least have we proposed against NZ a bit of a game. We've just done once again the dirty and hard job for anyoneelse proffit.

So for the next round, I'm divided. I'd sure prefer the cup to stay in the NH, but won't certainly switch on the TV next week in case of a England/Argentina...

Wow, i'm so so so sad! :(

[/b]

dont dismay frenchmen

look on the bright side, deep down france won a little world cup of their own. They came back from the argentina loss to play one of the greatest tactical games ive seen when they played AB's. They beat a team that were red hot favourites and are man for man by far the best in the world. After seeing that performance i thought to myself even if france dont win the world cup they can be a world class super power that could beat ANYONE on a good day.

i mean really last nights game could have gone either way. i always say that world tournaments arent always a measure of who really is the best, we saw this in last years fifa world cup with italy (3 of there final games could have easily gone either way)

it was a very agonising defeat for the french at home, where they really could have gone all the way but they should be proud of their efforts.

Well done everyone. pay no attention to the colonial whingers. And many thanks to Traille, I didn't think that the implosion of insecurity would happen in the first minute, but there we have it.

After watching this game again, without the emotion. I have to say that I feel England played a great game against the French.

As others have said, the WC is all about heart, and they had it in spades last night. Again, well done England.

The ab's choked, aussie had a shite front 5 (for years they have covered this with illegal tactics)
[/b]
Yes, they had a very bad tight 5 but illegal tactics? Obviously you see something no other analyst in the world of rugby has ever seen....

League is stop start, rugby is supposed to be free flowing, I don't think whoever originated Rugby (aside from the original myth) didn't envisage the quagmire of play the English play...the myth of the creation by William Webb Ellis tells of him picking up the football and running with it, not picking it up and lying on the ground while his mates laid on top of him with another player waiting behind them to kick it into the goals....

I hate to say I will have to go for South Africa for the first time ever, simply because at least they play the game with the original spirit of the game in mind...

I hate to say I will have to go for South Africa for the first time ever, simply because at least they play the game with the original spirit of the game in mind... [/quote]

What rubbish. Rugby, as originally played, was a low scoring mud fest. I love watching pretty rugby (when my teams are winning or not playing) but a win is the most important thing and always has been - even for the tri-nations. I would be delighted with a 3-0 victory in the final. Leave the high scores to the Super 14 or tri-nations.

<div class='quotemain'>
The ab's choked, aussie had a shite front 5 (for years they have covered this with illegal tactics)
[/b]
Yes, they had a very bad tight 5 but illegal tactics? Obviously you see something no other analyst in the world of rugby has ever seen....

League is stop start, rugby is supposed to be free flowing, I don't think whoever originated Rugby (aside from the original myth) didn't envisage the quagmire of play the English play...the myth of the creation by William Webb Ellis tells of him picking up the football and running with it, not picking it up and lying on the ground while his mates laid on top of him with another player waiting behind them to kick it into the goals....

I hate to say I will have to go for South Africa for the first time ever, simply because at least they play the game with the original spirit of the game in mind...
[/b][/quote]

Come on, now you are just clutching at straws, anything you can to try and have a pop at the lionhearted English, Tut tut! So it wasnt pretty, big deal, the most important thing in knockout rugby is the result and not how much flair you show, but of course you already know that. You play to your strengths and attack the oppositions weakness, I think the way we completely smothered the French and totally denied them any room to play was immense, lets not forget that this was supposed to be Frances' cup, they beat the All Blacks -currently the best team in the world- Then they play us at home and the whole world are cheering them on and they still bottle it, the grit and heart needed for the game last night was immense and we had it in bucket loads so its a bit sad that we get so many people whinging on abouit us, we seem to be really hated by everyone. I wonder if its jealousy as we are a such a great nation?

So who will we face in the final, who knows? I do know one thing, Whoever makes the final can be gaurenteed plenty Aussie support from inside the ground. COME ON ENGLAND.

I attented the game last night, it wasn't pretty but we've done it. And that's all what matters. It's never easy to beat the hosts in a World Cup. Great atmosphere as well.

Anyway, here's some pics from last night:

Click here

I attented the game last night, it wasn't pretty but we've done it. And that's all what matters. It's never easy to beat the hosts in a World Cup. Great atmosphere as well.

Anyway, here's some pics from last night:

Click here [/b]

Love the pics mate, wish I could of been there...

Wow!!!! I don't think I could be happier. I'm so proud of them all, Wilko, Roobo, Sheridan, Shaw, Gomarsall are just legends in their own right. WORST WORLD CHAMPS EVER!! Pfft,.. You're having a laugh

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

England are boring (don't bullshit yourself if your thinking otherwise), but effective and that's all that counts so why change. And you still can't compare Carter and Wilko in terms of mentality, Carter went off in the 50th minute (against France) so who knows what he could've pulled in the final 10mins. Still, Wilko doesn't fold so I'd want him in terms of having someone you can rely on. He's just uber cool.

[/b][/quote]

I will question Carter's mental strength by going off in the 50th min. in a quarter final. What about Johnny who stays in matches despite hernias, and kicks the winning drop goal.

What exactly was carter's injury?

I'm not saying Carter isn't an awesome player, but mental strength is proceeding win things get hard. I'd think you'd have to drag a player off the field in knock out stage rugby because of injury. It looks like he took himself out of the game.

<div class='quotemain'> WOW We have shown the world that ENGLAND CAN STILL PLAY RUGBY!!![/b]
But you didnt play rugby. Did the ball actually go through your centre's even once?

Well done England but this is a tradegy for Rugby as a whole. One of the most Sterile, tacticly inept teams to play the game has now gone through to the final. Its not actually Englands fault though. Its those f***ing French. They have f***ed up the whole tournament for everyone. Gobshites.

Apologies is this comment annoy's the English fans. Its not meant as an anti-English rant. I was delighted for you last weekend but I really really feel the tournament deserves a better final then this English team is capable of providing.

After the high's of last weekend, this is such a let down. I am seriously ****** off.

[/b][/quote]

You know what? Do sit down and be quiet.

That post was extremely disrespectful, not least towards a French side who played their hearts and guts out and had it almost in the bag until yet another turn in the World Cup saga pointed things Englands way.

Guess what? You had your f*cking chance, Ireland had their time and you blew it big time. You should be blaming Brian O'Driscoll and Paul O'Connell and co for putting in some performances worthy of an Andy Robinson team rather than taking out your irrational anger on England and belittleing France in the process.

That has made me so bloody angry now. Both sides played incredibly well and put their absolute heart and soul into that match and all you have to say is a load of anti-English tripe which makes the French look worse than they actually were as collateral damage. You ever heard of Kim Phuc and the village of Trang Bang mate? Because by being such a sodding arse, you've just done the sporting equivelent of dropping napalm in a fit of rage onto a village of kids!

And what about Argentina? Aren't they good enough for you? Are you still hurting about the fact that they beat you fair and square? Seriously, some people have to grow up.

Four points:

1) France played damn well last night, my hand of friendship goes out to them and I wish them luck in our next encounter.
2) This World Cup is still exciting, vibrant and incredibly unpredictable.
3) Last night didn't ruin anything, no matter what a couple of whingy bog trotters have to say.
4) I don't care who wins the final, we've made our point and we've done bloody well. ALLEZ AU CONTACT!

And the most gracious award goes to - the French.

I would like to hope if the result had gone the other way, then as many of our supporters would have shown the same sporting spirit.

As it is we have people who haven't been around for the last 4 years suddenly popping up again to give those of us who've posted through the terrible times a bad name.

I'm immensely proud to be English, but people are getting carried away if they think our problems are over. We have ground out the results in the most gripping fashion, but we still need to clear out after the tournament is over. Also slightly annoyed by the constant 'boring' comments. England have not been pretty, but the last two matches have been absolutely gripping right up until the final whistle. It's what sport is about for me - tension, drama and last ditch grasps at glory.

That has made me so bloody angry now. Both sides played incredibly well and put their absolute heart and soul into that match and all you have to say is a load of anti-English tripe which makes the French look worse than they actually were as collateral damage. [/b]
You seem to have forgotten your own posts in the NZ v France thread. You spend hours happily chirping on about NZ chokers (and so belittling France's achievement). Pot ………….. Kettle ……………. Black. Get off your high horse and deal with the fact that it's damn hard to sit back an applaud some of the fugliest rugby I've seen in a long, long time. Unless of course you're a Bok fan, then you'll just be ******* yourself laughing.

It's nothing to do with the fact that it is England going through. It's the fact that this team has admitted publicly and privately that they are incapable of playing anything close to creative rugby. They are content to kick the ball long, don't put pressure on the receiver and rely on their defence. Admirable trait's if you're an English fan, dull to watch for any neutral.

Now this is the crux of all my posts in this topic, so do try to pay attention. As a neutral observer I want to see at least some kind of decent rugby played from here on in. Unfortunately, now that England have gone through, we can be sure that the final will at best be 98% attrition, 2% rugby, at worst it will be another 36-0 hammering.

Anyhoo, what I said was I was delighted for you last weekend but I really really feel the tournament deserves a better final then this English team is capable of providing. I stand by it of course. Sorry if it rains on your parade but its just my opinion. One that seems to be shared by other fans the world around.

France played damn well last night[/b]
Holy ****, you really believe that don't you? Made me laugh though, good one.

I appreciate the anti-Irish rant. Has no relevance to the topic, but nice one all the same. Really put me in my place. The napalm line was excellent, a bit of an abstract way of saying "why oh why are you not happy for me! Just be happy for me damnit" but effective all the same. On the Argentinean bit …………. Hmm no. I like em actually. They may kick a lot, but they kick well and chase effectively, makes for exciting rugby.

Now come on the Puma's. Give us something to look forward to next week please!

You seem to have forgotten your own posts in the NZ v France thread. You spend hours happily chirping on about NZ chokers (and so belittling France's achievement). Pot ………….. Kettle ……………. Black. Get off your high horse and deal with the fact that it's damn hard to sit back an applaud some of the fugliest rugby I've seen in a long, long time. Unless of course you're a Bok fan, then you'll just be ******* yourself laughing.[/b]

Utter. Tripe.

I shall stay on my high horse. I haven't forgotten my posts because I congratulated France on a superb victory, knocking the wheels off of an All Black juggernaught. You recognised nothing about all the effort that France put into a game which they almost won. Two completely different things.

It's nothing to do with the fact that it is England going through. It's the fact that this team has admitted publicly and privately that they are incapable of playing anything close to creative rugby. They are content to kick the ball long, don't put pressure on the receiver and rely on their defence. Admirable trait's if you're an English fan, dull to watch for any neutral.[/b]

It has everything to do with it. Deep down, you just can't stand the fact that we're through to the final and that your lads didn't step up when the time called for it. You had your chances first against France and then against Argentina. The blame for the (imaginary) faults that you put forward therefore lie squarely at the door of BOD, Stirling Mortlock and Richie McCaw.

Now you pay attention, because basically when I see...

Now this is the crux of all my posts in this topic, so do try to pay attention. As a neutral observer I want to see at least some kind of decent rugby played from here on in. Unfortunately, now that England have gone through, we can be sure that the final will at best be 98% attrition, 2% rugby, at worst it will be another 36-0 hammering.

Anyhoo, what I said was I was delighted for you last weekend but I really really feel the tournament deserves a better final then this English team is capable of providing. I stand by it of course. Sorry if it rains on your parade but its just my opinion. One that seems to be shared by other fans the world around.[/b]

All I see is:

I'm a neutral observer who doesn't hate English rugby, BUT...[/b]

It hasn't been raining on my parade that your team just didn't have the guts to rise to the challenge. It does rain on everyones parade when you just come out with silly little outbursts, saying that this tournament is now ruined and that the rugby so far in both England's Quarter Final and the Semi Final was dull and boring and that the Final will be more of the same.

Tournaments are built around attrition, endurance and passion. That is what wins competitions. For some reason, England have suddenly developed big reserves of all three. Whether they have enough in the tank remains to be seen but to see South Africa almost implode against Fiji and be pushed hard against Argentina, they'll face a task as strong as that against an England who suddenly seem to rather like closing games out.

Holy ****, you really believe that don't you? Made me laugh though, good one.[/b]

And you said you didn't belittle France with your stupid screaming and stomping? Care to revise that statement?

I appreciate the anti-Irish rant. Has no relevance to the topic, but nice one all the same.[/b]

Again. Absolute tripe. Don't you dare be lazy and play the victim card here with me sonny jim otherwise I'll roast your balls on a stick and feed them back to you with a side mis-mashed Elizabeithan English rammed up your jacksy.

I have no idea how I'm actually going to do that but there you go, c'est la guerre.

Really put me in my place. The napalm line was excellent, a bit of an abstract way of saying "why oh why are you not happy for me! Just be happy for me damnit" but effective all the same. [/b]

It was actually an abstract way of saying "stop being a miserable turd and congratulate both sides on a match well fought." Close mate but no cigar.