• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England vs Fiji 26th August 23

What's the player situation with Rugby League players in the UK, much talent? The NRL has got shitloads of players who would walk into the Wallabies. Not really saying much, but anyway.
Lots of good wingers/finishers but they rarely make the switch successfully

Sale have had a number of converts in recent years (so ignoring the likes of Jason Robinson) but the only two that have stuck it out in Union are Luther Burrell (who did go back to league for a bit but then swapped back to union again) and Denny Solomona

Josh Charnley was one of the best wingers in SL when he switched, took him a while to find his feet but never looked more than a club level winger, went back to League and immediately tore it up there again

Feel like with the NRL the guys who make the switch they've often played union as a kid (often in NZ) before being picked up by an NRL side - that's a lot rarer in the UK as League is so compartmentalized to the north that kids will grow up playing one or the other but rarely both (though Leeds tykes RU academy does have a number of players each season who get picked up by RL sides)

Feel like with the NRL the guys who make the switch they've often played union as a kid (often in NZ) before being picked up by an NRL side - that's a lot rarer in the UK as League is so compartmentalized to the north that kids will grow up playing one or the other but rarely both (though Leeds tykes RU academy does have a number of players each season who get picked up by RL sides)
Yeah good point. Actually there was an article a few months ago talking about how many young kids we lose to League. They play union right up to year 12 and then the NRL pick them up. All these great League players and you find out they're actually originally from rugby union.

I'd trust Steward far more than either of those as an international fullback
Its not that I dont trust steward, I think he is impecable under the high ball and normally doesnt put in a stinker. I just fail to see how with the other current back selection we put out a functional attack with Steward at fullback. Teams have cottened on to how slow he is and really dont mind him running it back anymore since he isnt a threat. I really think he just needs time to develop as a playmaker before he comes good at international level.

This whole discussion is irrelevent though since he wil be the starting FB for the forseeable and no changes will be made to acomidate his weakness meaning the public pressure on him will continue to mount.

Yeah good point. Actually there was an article a few months ago talking about how many young kids we lose to League. They play union right up to year 12 and then the NRL pick them up. All these great League players and you find out they're actually originally from rugby union.
Yeah I noticed it when they kept talking about the latest NRL convert in the Wallabies side on the weekend and I looked him up and he played union in NZ before Melbourne Storm pinched him

Lots of good wingers/finishers but they rarely make the switch successfully

Sale have had a number of converts in recent years (so ignoring the likes of Jason Robinson) but the only two that have stuck it out in Union are Luther Burrell (who did go back to league for a bit but then swapped back to union again) and Denny Solomona

Josh Charnley was one of the best wingers in SL when he switched, took him a while to find his feet but never looked more than a club level winger, went back to League and immediately tore it up there again

There is also the point that NRL is levels above super league and most of the time their talent pool is literally just the peak talent pool for rugby like sports. In england, I would back a fair few union players to come good in league, and the main talent pool being in union.

Eastmond looked promising but injuries and such got in the way. Think burgess could of worked out, Burgess, shoehorned in at centre because there was a rush to get him into the world cup squad, if they had given him time in the back row think he would of looked good.

I do Wonder how guys like george williams, herbie farnworth, jack welsby, tomkins etc... would go in union, but its more morbid curiosity than any actual belief they would improve the player pool.

Dom Young would be the one I'd be after. As a 6'7" winger with pace and good feet, it feels like he'd have the raw materials to do well.
Dom young is a good one actually, another who I forgot and probably go over most heads who dont watch league is Sam Walters at leeds, guy is 6'6, rapid, good handle and pass and a dynamite offload, only 22 as well.

Maybe there are players like that, that have insane physicals and handles that could help in the centres. Seems league does have a load of these specimens with back skills and athleticism that are really rare in union in this country.

Hit rate is so low though, but morbid curiosity would mean I would like to see prem clubs roll the dice on it more and see if they could find a diamond in th rough.

Dom Young would be the one I'd be after. As a 6'7" winger with pace and good feet, it feels like he'd have the raw materials to do well.
He's awesome. Only just realised he's English. 21 tries in 22 games this season. Won't be long before he qualifies for Australia though!

Dom young is a good one actually, another who I forgot and probably go over most heads who dont watch league is Sam Walters at leeds, guy is 6'6, rapid, good handle and pass and a dynamite offload, only 22 as well.

Maybe there are players like that, that have insane physicals and handles that could help in the centres. Seems league does have a load of these specimens with back skills and athleticism that are really rare in union in this country.

Hit rate is so low though, but morbid curiosity would mean I would like to see prem clubs roll the dice on it more and see if they could find a diamond in th rough.

All the league recruits the Wallabies got in the early 2000s went well. Walker, Rogers, Sailor, Tuiquiri etc and some of the top guys in the NRL would go so well in union. They get paid **** all as well. Top scorer this season Jamayne Isaako is only on UKpounds - 160'000. Union would be able to triple that.

I like the look of Herbie Farnworth. Could make a cracking centre

Latest posts