• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England vs. PNG

S

St Helens RLFC

The World Cup starts in just two days time, and England have named their team for the crucial opening clash with Papua New Guinea. Their squad is as follows:

England team:

1.Wellens
2.Gardner
3.Gleeson
4.Senior
5.Smith
6.Pryce
7.Burrow
8.Graham
9.Roby
10.Peacock
11.Ellis
12.Hock
13.Sinfield.

Replacements: Morley, Fa'asavalu, Wilkin, McGuire.

I can't wait for this, its been 8 years in the making. COME ON ENGLAND!

More up for this than any other Internationals I can remember. Need to raise the profile of international rugby and the sport as a whole and a good performance from England would get us some media coverage.

PS if there are any rugby league fans on here who live in London where abouts do you plan to watch the games?

PNG are in with a real chance here I reckon, this is the game they have the best chance of winning. Think it's played in Townsville so the heat will be intense which would favour PNG. I hear England have spent a bit of time in the sauna to prepare themselves for the heat.

England should/will win, but PNG will know this is the game where they have the best chance of picking up some points so they'll put up a mean fight.

Come on PNG!!!

png will stay close in the first half but then in the second england will just takeover and their players all being professional will shine through.

Should be a good game....C'mon the kumuls! :D

Oh and when is the game starting the game starts at 10.00pm on fox i doubt its live f**king channel 9. <_<

That PNG player, Stanley Gene.. 3rd rugby league cup i believe. Great achievement in this sport

Thinking about it - after recent reports of a serious bid for an NRL team up in PNG, that one of the PNG games should have been held in PNG, but oh well, maybe next time PNG/NZ can co-host the tournament.

St. Helens - I don't know too much about the England team, actually I've really only heard of Morley (he played with the Sydney Roosters a few years ago) and I'm entering a fantasy team competition where I enter 13 players, but can only have two players from each country maximum. Could you please tell me two English players, two of the best, guaranteed to play pretty much every match, who would do well in the fantasy type games as well (the comp where you get points for trys, assists, line breaks, hitsups, tackles etc)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (QLD @ Oct 25 2008, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thinking about it - after recent reports of a serious bid for an NRL team up in PNG, that one of the PNG games should have been held in PNG, but oh well, maybe next time PNG/NZ can co-host the tournament.

St. Helens - I don't know too much about the England team, actually I've really only heard of Morley (he played with the Sydney Roosters a few years ago) and I'm entering a fantasy team competition where I enter 13 players, but can only have two players from each country maximum. Could you please tell me two English players, two of the best, guaranteed to play pretty much every match, who would do well in the fantasy type games as well (the comp where you get points for trys, assists, line breaks, hitsups, tackles etc)[/b]

I'd say choose Jamie Peacock (captain) and Paul Wellens (arguably the best fullback in the world).

I would have said Ade Gardner and Jamie Peacock myself.

It finished up 32-22 to England, it was a tight game until the end when England tore straight through PNG at will. England will have to play much better but PNG had a point to prove and they proved it well. England should now make it through to the semi finals barring any disasters or miracles.

I just want to beat the arrogant Aussies next week. But we'll need to make some significant changes in order for us to do that because we can hang on against a fired up PNG but we'll get steamrollered against Australia if that happens. We need to control the game better.

If England play like that next week, it'll be a similar result to England v Springboks in the world cup group stage. An appalling display tbh.

What worried me was the scrambling defence. Saints are the best in the world at it, Leeds are pretty good at it and we struggled with it so badly, especially when PNG got near our line.

England/GB usually win the irrelevant matches so why should next week be any different, it's the semi-final or the final where you'll come unstuck.

Got damn PNG's #6 was kicking pretty damn ordinary! But heck, they're an extremely athletic bunch of blokes aren't they?!

England certainly weren't playing to their potential and should get to the stage where they would have normally put 50 on the Kumuls.

Anyways who is this Wellens bloke who plays fullback for England? I'd say he would struggle to make an impact on the NRL with a performance like that...wouldn't you agree Dan? :p

I'd say he was as good as England gave today. Him, Gardner and Gleeson. In spite of his hat trick, I thought Lee Smith was pretty poor.

Pretty exciting game, PNG made too many mistakes which cost them in the end.

You gotta hand to them, England didn't play terrible, just PNG were out there to show they're the real deal in this world cup.

England halfback reminded me of an Orford/Kimmorly

disappointed with England. Thought PNG did the hard work. With about 10 minutes to go there were a couple of decisions that went against them that really hurt the score from their point of view. England should have done better.

but the first game in a big tournament, on home soil, PNG were firing. Hope they can't do the same vs NZ. These pools seem a bit mad!