• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England vs Wales - 06/08/2011 - RWC Warm Up

I was probably a little harsh on Faletau, but I was trully dissapointed with his performance. I think the world cup has come a little bit early for him, but Gatland shouldn't give up on him completely. It was a difficult day for Faletau behind a creaking Welsh scrum, so deserves another shot off the bench at some stage. I was hoping Faletau was going to cement his place on the plane, but instead he's probably seriously jeopardized his world cup hopes completely. If Delve get's a shot next week, he'll almost certainly be a massive step-up in terms of physicality and experience. I just hope that Gatland doesn't revert to JT or Powell, because I'd still prefer Faletau over those two.

Our lack of second-rows is very concerning imo. I'd personally like to see a backrow next week of Ryan Jones - Warburton - Delve, but Ryan Jones will need to be tested at lock, so maybe that won't be possible. It's such a pitty that Ian Evans hasn't managed to regain form, because he's exactly what this Welsh team needs, some dog and a genuinly good lineout jumper.

Psychic Duck - completely forgot about Phillips' lack of positioning for the Haskell try. At the time I couldn't understand why he was standing the other side of the scrum as it was wheeling towards the blindside. Out of any scrum-half in the world, Phillips would have been physically capable of stopping Haskell, but instead the job was left to Shane, who didn't stand a chance. Lydiate did his best, but physically couldn't get across in time. I hope Knoyle starts next week, but I think Phillips could return to a little bit of form with a couple more games. He was infinitely better yesterday than his previous Ospreys and Wales form, still not good enough though.

Am I still the only person who saw Wilkinson knock the ball on about 25 yards in the first half?

Saw it but not surprised with Walsh in charge.

If Gatland has any sense he will start Delve next week.

So is Dwayne Peel elligable now to be picked? I really hope he gets game time at some stage so we can kick Phillips off the plane

Suppose with him not being able to train with the squad until this week, to play him against England wouldn't be the best idea anyway, what with having to learn calls/gel with the players etc.

Peel got released a couple of days before the game on saturday I think, so could've been playing, just obviously wasn't be picked because he hadn't trained with Wales at all. Could be in contention this week then, if he trains well wouldn't see the harm in having Knoyle starting with him on the bench.
Also @psycic duck
Paul james was better in the scrums, just Bevington was far more promenant in the loose. Couple of good carries and offloads. I;m a fan of his, just not sure he's up to the scrummaging standard quite yet.
Also don't think Scott Williams actually played 10? Never seen him play there before, seemed that Priestland was still the playmaker after Stoddard went off anyway, think they just mixed it up with the fullback role.

My team for next week anyway (depending on injuries):

1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Matthew Rees - if fit, if not Bennett will be there most likely
3. Adam Jones
4. Ryan Jones
5. Alyn-Wyn Jones
6. Dan Lydiate (wouldn't mind Turnbull getting a crack here, or McCusker if he's fit)
7. Sam Warburton
8. Gareth Delve
9. Tavis Knoyle
10. Not sure about here, would like Hook to get a run out if fit, but very tempted to give Priestland another go
11. Shane Williams
12. Jon Davies/Gavin Henson/Scott Williams
13. Jamie Roberts
14. George North
15. Lee Byrne

16. Huw Bennett/Lloyd Burns
17. Paul James/Ryan Bevington
18. Bradley Davies
19. Martyn Williams/Toby Faletau - I want Martyn involved, dont believe that he's past it at all, but feel that Faletau needs more gametime.
20. Dwayne Peel
21. Stephen Jones/Hook/Priestland
22. Scott Williams/Gavin Henson

Image below not for the faint-hearted!

19616.jpg

Cymro, did u have to post that. I've just had shivers down my spine, my ankle's gone all numb :( :( :( hahahahahaha lovely jubbly

Don't really rate him, but its a huge Shame, was probably his best performance in a welsh shirt :( :(

Cymro, did u have to post that. I've just had shivers down my spine, my ankle's gone all numb :( :( :( hahahahahaha lovely jubbly

Don't really rate him, but its a huge Shame, was probably his best performance in a welsh shirt :( :(

Gutted for Moggsy. Wish him all the best.

The idea of having Brew on the plane to NZ is just as numbing! ;)

I think its more worrying for some that it means that a certain "ORANGE ONE" has a greater chance now (as full back cover :p)

I hope if they are to play "he who shall not be named" then he plays at 12.

Always sad to see a player have a nasty injury, get well soon (and in the meantime learn how to tackle and pass and we shall be very greatful)

I think its more worrying for some that it means that a certain "ORANGE ONE" has a greater chance now (as full back cover :p)

I hope if they are to play "he who shall not be named" then he plays at 12.

Always sad to see a player have a nasty injury, get well soon (and in the meantime learn how to tackle and pass and we shall be very greatful)

Worrying for who is the question. Czekaj made it through his awful break four years ago, I hope Morgan can do the same. Halfpenny as reserve 15 now.

I want him there, actually no I NEED him there. Need my fix of Fake tan on my TV; Jersey Shore just don't cut it :p

Yer would be interesting to see Halfpenny tested at 15, although it would mean our back 3 lacking in height (not that I care), would mean some serious counterattacking :p :p

Guess all we can do is wait ......

Im pretty sure MJ will go with something like:

Cole
Thompson
Corbisero
Lawes
Deacon
Robshaw
Fourie
Easter
Wigglesworth
Flood
Sharples
Hape
Tindall (C)
Ashton
Foden

Stevens
Mears
Botha
Haskell
Care
Wilkinson (just in case it goes ***s up)
Armitage

Worrying for who is the question. Czekaj made it through his awful break four years ago, I hope Morgan can do the same. Halfpenny as reserve 15 now.
Halfpenny was named in the original squad as our back-up full back. Stoddart was down as a winger.

definatly one of his best performances. i have got to say that ref was shocking that knock on by wilkinson also tuilagi nearly taking little shanes head off. i think we can beat them on sat at home :D

Im pretty sure MJ will go with something like:

Cole
Thompson
Corbisero
Lawes
Deacon
Robshaw
Fourie
Easter
Wigglesworth
Flood
Sharples
Hape
Tindall (C)
Ashton
Foden

Stevens
Mears
Botha
Haskell
Care
Wilkinson (just in case it goes ***s up)
Armitage

Botha instead of Shaw? Good one.

Actually I just got that this was for next week and not the actual world cup games :p Sorry.

well my team for next week would be

1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Lloyd Burns/Huw Bennett (really don't know our options atm).
3. Adam Jones
4 Bradley Davies
5 Alun Wyn
6 Dan Lydiate
7 Sam Warburton
8 Toby Falatau/ Gareth Delve (Wanna see Delve play, but I think the backrow seems settled with this weekends lineup)
9 Tavis Knoyle (Phillips had his best game in a while, but Knoyle's passing was way more efficient - even if his quick tap attempt was shocking :p)
10 Rhys Priestland/James Hook (Priestland was solid on saturday, deserves another chance to show his worth. Hook will probs come back if fit).
11 Shane Williams
12 "THE ORANGE ONE" (Needs game time, if Gatland is seriously considering him for WC then he honestly cant expect to go with no gametime)
13 Jamie Roberts (Everyone wants to see JR and GH play together, so do it)
14 George North
15 Leigh Halfpenny (if fit)

Latest posts