• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2022 Rugby Championship] Round 1 Argentina vs Australia (06/08/2022)

What is Carreras like at 10? I've only ever seen him playing on the wing or at 15, where he's always looked more like a running type of fullback rather than a playmaker.

At half time I thought Argentina would go on to win it. Kudos to the Aussies for proving me wrong. 👊

Last edited:
Was too busy to catch this one sadly. and now I may never see quade in a wallaby jersey again

What is Carreras like at 10? I've only ever seen him playing on the wing or at 15, where he's always looked more like a running type of fullback rather than a playmaker.
By all accounts he is looking like a long term project. Miotti seemed like the obvious successor to Sanchez, moved to Glasgow and has disappeared. I don't know if its injuries or what.

What an embarrassing 2H that was. I don't have a single data point to back it up but i can't believe this is a physical thing. I'm inclined to believe this is a mental thing.

Miotti seemed like the obvious successor to Sanchez, moved to Glasgow and has disappeared. I don't know if its injuries or what.
What they've done to our FH line of succession is worthy of a trial in den haag.

Bit of history: Sanchez leaves Jags after 2018 SR season in which he virtually played 100% of the time. Everyone, myself included, expected that to be a hard spot to replace. What happened? Diaz bonilla steps up and shuts my piehole making me a very, very happy man. Not only that. Miotti does brilliantly every single second he spends on the field.

So not only do we've got someone who replaced Sanchez and could actually give him a run for his money but we also got a youngster willing to be thrown in the mix too. The future looks promising.

Kindly remember 2019 was a WC year so nearly all of us expected Sanchez/DB/Miotti to be the 3 FHs selected for the world cup. Nothing controversial about it and to be honest, pretty ******* obvious. Remember UAR had pretty much stated that only those playing for Jaguares+SR franchises+domestic clubs were eligible for the Pumas. Players made their decisions accordingly, many of them sacrificing tons of money in the process. Sanchez was still in because he played 2018's SR season and that still counted. A technicality, whatever.
So what happened?

First, they decided to go to the world cup with TWO FH's. Let me say it again. TWO FHs! Arguably the most critical position, one replacement only.
To add insult to injury they chose Sanchez and... Urdapilleta. I've got nothing against Urdapilleta, I actually like him, but he didn't fit the criteria that UAR set out to be eligible to play for the Pumas as he played in France the entire time. You have to understand how insulting this must have been to everyone who decided to sacrifice a lot of time and money on a rather limited career horizon just to play for the national team.
What they did to Diaz Bonilla and Miotti was criminal. They pushed him onto the stage to sing after Sinatra, and he performed very, very well when it mattered only to be thrown under the bus after that.

I am particularly fond of a few Arg players (Moroni, Montoya, etc) but Diaz Bonilla is a player i'd like to buy a beer to and say "thanks, what you did didn't go unnoticed". Dunno why. I expected little from him, and i wasn't alone. And again, and again, and again he shut me up.
I feel he was severely mistreated and in return, he behaved nothing but gallantly, at least from an average fan's pov.

And I like Carreras, a lot actually, but we've got Boffelli as a kicker and i really, really, really don't like him. He's rather good with ball in hand but he is a huge liability on defence and being the designated kicker pretty much guarantees him being in the starting XV every, single game.

Gonna go on quite a limb here: both Miotti and Diaz Bonilla could have been just as good if not better than Sanchez in the national team with better management containing and supporting them. I remember vividly what i saw in them when they played: talent. Not Dan Carter material, sure, but good enough to be the first choice for the national team. The kind of player that could be thrown in any mix as FH and tells you 'stfu and move aside, i know what to do. Just give me the bloody ball'.
I haven't seen that from them since 2019 and that is a tragedy.

Apologies for derailing. You touched a never.

What an embarrassing 2H that was. I don't have a single data point to back it up but i can't believe this is a physical thing. I'm inclined to believe this is a mental thing.

What they've done to our FH line of succession is worthy of a trial in den haag.

Bit of history: Sanchez leaves Jags after 2018 SR season in which he virtually played 100% of the time. Everyone, myself included, expected that to be a hard spot to replace. What happened? Diaz bonilla steps up and shuts my piehole making me a very, very happy man. Not only that. Miotti does brilliantly every single second he spends on the field.

So not only do we've got someone who replaced Sanchez and could actually give him a run for his money but we also got a youngster willing to be thrown in the mix too. The future looks promising.

Kindly remember 2019 was a WC year so nearly all of us expected Sanchez/DB/Miotti to be the 3 FHs selected for the world cup. Nothing controversial about it and to be honest, pretty ******* obvious. Remember UAR had pretty much stated that only those playing for Jaguares+SR franchises+domestic clubs were eligible for the Pumas. Players made their decisions accordingly, many of them sacrificing tons of money in the process. Sanchez was still in because he played 2018's SR season and that still counted. A technicality, whatever.
So what happened?

First, they decided to go to the world cup with TWO FH's. Let me say it again. TWO FHs! Arguably the most critical position, one replacement only.
To add insult to injury they chose Sanchez and... Urdapilleta. I've got nothing against Urdapilleta, I actually like him, but he didn't fit the criteria that UAR set out to be eligible to play for the Pumas as he played in France the entire time. You have to understand how insulting this must have been to everyone who decided to sacrifice a lot of time and money on a rather limited career horizon just to play for the national team.
What they did to Diaz Bonilla and Miotti was criminal. They pushed him onto the stage to sing after Sinatra, and he performed very, very well when it mattered only to be thrown under the bus after that.

I am particularly fond of a few Arg players (Moroni, Montoya, etc) but Diaz Bonilla is a player i'd like to buy a beer to and say "thanks, what you did didn't go unnoticed". Dunno why. I expected little from him, and i wasn't alone. And again, and again, and again he shut me up.
I feel he was severely mistreated and in return, he behaved nothing but gallantly, at least from an average fan's pov.

And I like Carreras, a lot actually, but we've got Boffelli as a kicker and i really, really, really don't like him. He's rather good with ball in hand but he is a huge liability on defence and being the designated kicker pretty much guarantees him being in the starting XV every, single game.

Gonna go on quite a limb here: both Miotti and Diaz Bonilla could have been just as good if not better than Sanchez in the national team with better management containing and supporting them. I remember vividly what i saw in them when they played: talent. Not Dan Carter material, sure, but good enough to be the first choice for the national team. The kind of player that could be thrown in any mix as FH and tells you 'stfu and move aside, i know what to do. Just give me the bloody ball'.
I haven't seen that from them since 2019 and that is a tragedy.

Apologies for derailing. You touched a never.

Yes, people were screaming at the Pumas to select European based players but:

a) it was dishonorable to those who made financial sacrifices to stay with Jaguares
b) we are seeing now the potential upside of such a move was exaggerated (which was my suspicion)

Although he plays in my city, I agree Boffelli is a bit overrated. He's useful to have and probably international standard, but I'd be hoping for better options across the back line. I hope Miotti finds his mojo. He is young enough to become an asset to club and country.

Latest posts