• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England's inside centre problem!!!

web-ManuTuilagi_rdax_601x343.jpg

No way is he the class needed for W.C. rugby. Defensively he is increibly naive.

Well seeing that Banahan was one of the top performing and scoring English qualified backs in the premiership this season and last season i think he does have a right to be in the squad. Although he wouldn't be in my starting 15, he would be a great impact player or starter against a minnow (scotland).

I would have liked to have seen Jono have some ambition and pick someone with potential like Anthony Allen who has been manu's partner the whole season. Brad Barritt or even Billy Twelvetrees. Because looking at it any way Hape is nowhere near international and never will be he makes me cringe every time he plays. he doesn't even draw or fix defenders he just passes it along or crashes it up with no success and to top that hes not even one of the better premiership centres. Tindall was world class but is a serious liability these days because of his lack of pace and terrible distribution. Flutey is pretty good when on form but needs a physical centre next to him, when he played with tait in the 010 six nations it was a disaster.

He's poor though - he finishes tries created by other people
He's like Tom Varndell, but instead of power he's got his size/strength - he hasn't performed once on the international stage and has had his fair share of chances in several positions

I'm absolutely in agreement that Flutey and Manu are probably the best options we could play for an attacking style of rugby (which is how we've been gearing our side these last couple of years). However it is a bit depressing that 3/4 of the likely candidates are 0% English.

Tindall has been great for England in the past but at this point he doesn't provide much apart from an anchor in defence and a solid crash ball option. I'm not too sure why everyone mocks Hape to quite such an extent. Certainly he's not a standout but he's provided solid cover for the 12 shirt. He may not be a world class 12 but frankly we don't seem to have too many better anyway.

People underestimate how good hape's defensive organisation is.

12 hape
13 tuilagi

Such a pity that Allen started at Gloucester and Tait started too young. At Newcastle.

Hape gets mocked because any other 12 in the whole premiership would be a better option - I can't think of one (other than Banahan, who isn't a 12 despite what the England selectors want) who wouldn't at least maintain the level in the centres - no one would make it worse than him (not saying he's the worst player in the world, just that he's not good, and any English player would be as good if not better than him)
He's not English, he's already represented another country at international rugby - I'd have Olly Barkley on crutches in the 12 shirt before willfully choosing Hape