• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England’s tour to Australia thread

This is going to be won by the last team with any players left standing.

You've got to laugh when you hear all the sanctimonious garbage about player welfare though. The Premiership season started mid Sept and here we are still going in mid July in what is traditionally a Lions hangover year. Next Prem season starts on 9th Sept. Yeah I know players will be filtered back in gradually etc, but they need a proper break to let their bodies recover properly, rediscover enthusiasm and also get a decent preseason.

Madness.
Nothing wrong with the seasons being like that as long as individual players have mandatory rest periods both in season and factoring in internationals. It should just be a case of a players can play in x number of games consecutively or x number of games per 3 month period, depending on which is lower.

I reckon Ludlum will start for the same reason Chessum will start over Isikwe as they've got minutes in and test match sharpness if that's a thing. Did OK at the weekend without a proper fetcher. Lawes and B Vunipola are decent over the ball.

I expect Smith will be preserved with at 10. He's yet to impress at international level while undoubtedly talented with huge potential. I reckon England's strengths better suit Farrell at 10 and a 6:2 split on the bench.

Started well in both tests and seemed to have dropped off in terms of intensity. Aus are one of those teams you can expect to get a physical edge on more than most so have a chance of doing well in the WC need something more to compete and beat the top teams.

So out first choice 5 to 8
Itoje Hill
Lawes Billy Curry

Chessum Underhill(Ludlam/Willis)

Now down to

Chessum Hill
Lawes Billy Ludlam

Iseikwe Willis...is he even fit? Whos next in the squad?

Losing Itoje Curry Underhill is huge. If Willis is injured then out options are getting more limited and we will end up with Nowell at 7.

So out first choice 5 to 8
Itoje Hill
Lawes Billy Curry

Chessum Underhill(Ludlam/Willis)

Now down to

Chessum Hill
Lawes Billy Ludlam

Iseikwe Willis...is he even fit? Whos next in the squad?

Losing Itoje Curry Underhill is huge. If Willis is injured then out options are getting more limited and we will end up with Nowell at 7.
Well its what Jones wanted...like a world cup with players dropping like flies.

1 Genge
2 George
3 Stuart
4 Hill
5 Chessum
6 Lawes
7 Ludlam / Willis - id prefer Willis to see how he goes, but Ludlam is a good option
8 Billy

9 JVP
10 Smith
11 Nowell
12 Farrell
13 Marchant
14 Freeman
15 Steward

PS Nowell at 7 wouldn't be as horrendous as it sounds, if we were down to desperate measures. But we're not quite there yet.

Well its what Jones wanted...like a world cup with players dropping like flies.

1 Genge
2 George
3 Stuart
4 Hill
5 Chessum
6 Lawes
7 Ludlam / Willis - id prefer Willis to see how he goes, but Ludlam is a good option
8 Billy

9 JVP
10 Smith
11 Nowell
12 Farrell
13 Marchant
14 Freeman
15 Steward

PS Nowell at 7 wouldn't be as horrendous as it sounds, if we were down to desperate measures. But we're not quite there yet.
Is Willis fit to play though?

Means what
19 Iseikwe
20 Willis(if fit) or who?

Is Willis fit to play though?

Means what
19 Iseikwe
20 Willis(if fit) or who?
Jeffries is the only other loose forward on tour, so almost certainly him. But I remember in 2019 EJ selected Singleton as back row reserve a few times to replicate the scenario of a hooker having to play back row in an injury crisis. Wouldn't be shocked to see him do the same this weekend and have Walker in the 20 shirt.

Nowell can do a job if required. Id put money on them practicing in training...for the worst case.

We are deep into our squad then, i guess its good that we can lose Ewels and Dombrandt (before the tour) and Itoje Curry Underhill and still have a good squad to put out. Our Depth of strong players at lock and back row is pretty impressive.

Now i just hope we can develop the gameplan that all can buy into and can swap in for because we will need that in the WC with inevitable injuries

Nothing wrong with the seasons being like that as long as individual players have mandatory rest periods both in season and factoring in internationals. It should just be a case of a players can play in x number of games consecutively or x number of games per 3 month period, depending on which is lower.
that's fine from a physical standpoint but there is still the psychological standpoint. Being a professional sportsman is hard work and elite rugby players in certain countries are either in preseason or in-season 11.5 out of 12 months of the year. It's extremely taxing and I think it would be better for the sport if the guys got a month and a half to recharge before getting back into the grind.

that's fine from a physical standpoint but there is still the psychological standpoint. Being a professional sportsman is hard work and elite rugby players in certain countries are either in preseason or in-season 11.5 out of 12 months of the year. It's extremely taxing and I think it would be better for the sport if the guys got a month and a half to recharge before getting back into the grind.
I agree but...
IIRC, and for England at least... they do get a 6 week break, as they miss their club's pre-season, due to the EPS agreement.

However, we till need a shorter season with fewer, higher quality matches, and no meaningful club matches taking place on international weekends

see what this Jeffries guy is made of,
though Rugby Pass has him making 3metres all season so I'm a bit wary :/
Jefferies made 19 in the last game vs your Sale boys, I wouldn't be worried. Curry only made 9 from same number of runs.

TBH Curry hasn't been his best this year so it's no great loss to have him out for a wee bit. Rather give Underhill and Willis a chance to get some games in. I think we'll only see Jefferies if Lawes is out or moves to lock as I'd imagine he'd go in to 6 before anywhere else in back or second row, although he's capable.

Weird comparison when they were playing different positions and the guy playing opposite Jeffries had better stats and scored a try...ok actually now I get why you're comparing different positions

goal-post-moving.gif

With the caveat that everyone plays too much rugby and the season should have finished months ago…….

……how come the Irish have a couple of midweek fixtures and we don't? If you're going to go all that way surely it's sensible to take a few more players and have a couple of midweeks to give fringe players a chance and more experience especially when there aren't A Team fixtures any more? I mean, I'm sure Isiekwe, Dingwall etc have enjoyed holding tackle bags but how better for them to have played an A international or a Super team or Aussie BaaBaas?

I do like proper tours, with midweeks, but not in a Lions season where we're already f*cked

Having mid-weeks vs invitational "State of Origin" sides would've been cool, one in Brisbane and one in Sydney

With the caveat that everyone plays too much rugby and the season should have finished months ago…….

……how come the Irish have a couple of midweek fixtures and we don't? If you're going to go all that way surely it's sensible to take a few more players and have a couple of midweeks to give fringe players a chance and more experience especially when there aren't A Team fixtures any more? I mean, I'm sure Isiekwe, Dingwall etc have enjoyed holding tackle bags but how better for them to have played an A international or a Super team or Aussie BaaBaas?
Aus A are in Fiji playing in the pacific cup.

Under 20s are also busy so you'd be really scraping the barrel to throw together a side.

Then throw in the veritable sea of injuries and, yeah, probably wouldn't be worthwhile.

I do like proper tours, with midweeks, but not in a Lions season where we're already f*cked

Having mid-weeks vs invitational "State of Origin" sides would've been cool, one in Brisbane and one in Sydney
Wouldn't most Aussies state of origin be hammered though? Sounds like a plan.

tours are cool cause you get to see coaches adjust from week to week and you can see how the expectations of sides change throughout

Scotland brought extra players to play Chile in a match which was cool.

Australia A is playing right now so there might not be a lot of pro players available for England A to play against.

Latest posts