• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

EOYT: Ireland vs Argentina, 24/11/2012

Thought D'arcy had a good game, was a bit harsh on him pre match to be fair. Zebo & Gilroy really spark new life into this team. Sexton had a strange game didn't he, some amazing kicks and some pretty poor - cant fault two tries though!
Bowe back to his best - Leinster front row worked really well, Best has some serious competition with Strauss now.
Henry and Heaslip were a bit quiet, but I suppose that's what you want sometimes - working under the radar. O'Mahony & Murray had good games - still not sure about Earls though.

Did anyone catch how many defenders Gilroy had beaten? It must be 10+

EDIT: Oh yeah - O'GARA, GO HOME, YOU ARE DRUNK

ESPN say Gilroy beat 10 defenders, made 4 clean breaks and ran 111 metres with ball. That's some impressive stats!

Best attacking performance in the first half from a home nations side for quite some time and it is a shame that it had to come against the most inept performance from the Argentinians this year......I will reserve judgement on the bright new dawn until they do this regularily and against a better opposition than was provided but very welcome and very entertaining........!!

Kidney seems to be being dragged the right way by public opinion in that Gilroy was rightly selected (and how he showed it) but will he dispense with ROG now or has he got something on Kidney?!!

Not sure what went on here for Argentina. The tackling was so uncharacteristically dire.

Looking at the stats. Some of the backs have high missed tackle figures.

Fernández's tackle success rate was 0%, he is listed as missing all 3 of his attempted tackles. Whilst Nicolás Sánchez missed 4 tackles and only made 3 and seemed to find Sexton's especially slippery. Even Camacho who is normally one of the best defensive wingers, missed tackles.

I don't think there needs to be drastic changes to the side, but that is two sloppy defensive performances in a row, curiously following straight after a great defensive performance. I do think that a little tinkering is needed though, firstly the centre partnership simply isn't working in attack and in this match not defence either. Finding a hooker who can throw into the lineout would be useful, and Landajo does the basics a little to messily to be first choice in my opinion.

Dam...... sounds like this is the game of the Week, better be a full replay on TV or I will sit my backside in front of Youtube until some one puts it on.

Well done Ireland.
so does this mean the coach is all good now-no hard feelings and all that........

Dam...... sounds like this is the game of the Week, better be a full replay on TV or I will sit my backside in front of Youtube until some one puts it on.

Well done Ireland.
so does this mean the coach is all good now-no hard feelings and all that........

Not really, he'll have to get the team to perform in the 6nations to regain peoples faith. In most of the country anyway.

This sure is a good launch pad for Irish rugby for the 6N but maintaing this sort of performance will be the key
for the team.

Argentina did you learn nothing from the Rugby Championship or mabe you did but boy you had your paints pulled down today.

I hope Phelan resign .... the players feel the same, I guess.
We need a coach in 2013 ambitious and motivating. Go Pumas!

Not really, he'll have to get the team to perform in the 6nations to regain peoples faith. In most of the country anyway.
Fact, Pumas were dire,brutal tacking and they let Ireland run at them all day. Wales in Cardiff will be the test.
All these injuries we have had for the Autumn is some blessing,forced Kidney to make changes, good depth in squad now for the 6nations when the 'Big Guns' are back.
Gilroys play shows exactly what Trimble and Ireland is missing at 11, attack. Great future with him. Still have to sort out centre pairing and back up for Sexton

As much as I love little Gilroy and think his style of play is godlike..I'll reserve judgement as to his effectiveness in International confrontations until I see him ruin a side in the 6N

Bit of a knee-jerk reaction, no?

Was a totally unacceptable performance to be fair, as was the performance for 70 minutes last week.

To be honest, I thought Phelan should have gone after back to back defeats at home to Scotland in 2010 or to seek a fresh direction after the World Cup, where Phelan's job was saved by Wayne Barnes not seeing Felipe Contepomi was a mile offside.

I'm not sure about sacking him now though, I've never particularly rated him as a coach, but I'd give him another year until his contract runs out in 2013 before thinking about a change. If the Pumas show no progress and improvements then he should go then.

Interesting to note Ronan O'Gara is now on 126 Ireland caps and 128 caps in total. With Kidney safely secured in his job, that means he will just need to be in the side to waddle of the bench for one more full season and he will overtake Gregan's record of 139 international caps.

Seriously though, it will be laughable if Kidney still selects O'Gara in 2013. Paddy Jackson or Ian Madigan are both better most would agree, and the tour to North America should be a good chance for one of them to establish themselves as Sexton's deputy.

Last edited:
What is the coaching structure for Argentina duck? Attack coach, defence etc? With Phelan's contract out in 2013 would we expect much change?

Was a totally unacceptable performance to be fair, as was the performance for 70 minutes last week.

To be honest, I thought Phelan should have gone after back to back defeats at home to Scotland in 2010 or to seek a fresh direction after the World Cup, where Phelan's job was saved by Wayne Barnes not seeing Felipe Contepomi was a mile offside.

I'm not sure about sacking him now though, I've never particularly rated him as a coach, but I'd give him another year until his contract runs out in 2013 before thinking about a change. If the Pumas show no progress and improvements then he should go then.

Interesting to note Ronan O'Gara is now on 126 Ireland caps and 128 caps in total. With Kidney safely secured in his job, that means he will just need to be in the side to waddle of the bench for one more full season and he will overtake Gregan's record of 139 international caps.

Seriously though, it will be laughable if Kidney still selects O'Gara in 2013. Paddy Jackson or Ian Madigan are both better most would agree, and the tour to North America should be a good chance for one of them to establish themselves as Sexton's deputy.

I love Mads and all, but an international 10 he is not. I dunno if you watched the Glasgow game yesterday (for your sake I hope not!) but once again he failed to exert any sort of control on the game. If the pack isn't well on top then Madigan isn't a player you want pulling the strings. I think Jackson and eventually Hanrahan are the way to go in terms of grooming Sexton's replacement. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing Hanrahan spending a lot of his time at 12 either.

Had to laugh at Cian Healy getting a ball to the face.:lol:

The Ireland-Argentina rivalry continues...

Phelan for the sack!? We've been hearing for months how much Argentina have improved. Give the man some credit. He has more hurdles to overcome than most coaches and thats the best attacking performance I remember from Ireland so in that sense Argentina were unlucky.

Had to laugh at Cian Healy getting a ball to the face.:lol:

The Ireland-Argentina rivalry continues...

It was funny alright. Like a bunch of schoolboy arguing.

Latest posts