• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[EOYT] Wales v Argentina 16/11/13

Ye it's interesting what you mention Dull. Surprised the likes of Harry Robinson, Howells etc not been mentioned. I still think there might be an addition tomorrow.

Harry Robinson was one of the better players on the Japan tour. Meanwhile Prydie was one of the least effective. Yet Gatland likes him as his pet project. Not sure what Amos has done to get in the reckoning either. Haven't the coaches learnt their lesson from the Japan tour about picking these players? I hope the selections aren't too reckless for Tonga.

I hope the selections aren't too reckless for Tonga.

I think they can make a number of changes in the forwards and still put out a powerful unit. e.g. starting Paul James, Ken Owens, Luke Charteris, Andrew Coombs, Dan Lydiate and Ryan Jones should still be good enough against Tonga. However taking Phillips, Biggar, North and Halfpenny out of an already depleted backline could end in nothing but trouble.

James is unavailable for the Tonga game: Bath have agreed to release him for Australia if Wales release him for this weekend.

Last edited:
To be fair Dull it's hardly Baths fault here. They cut Wales a deal and a good one at that, then the PRL said, no you can't do that so James has now become unavailable.
yeah, i worded that badly. I'm waiting to see how much pressure PRL put on Northampton about North, although his situation is slightly different given that he's got it written into his contract. Still it will go against what PRL want.

I also find it slightly irritating that PRL/ Bath have waited till so late before enforcing this change. It was reported in the media weeks ago that Bath had agreed to release James for the Aus game, why wait till now? Surely it must be inconvenient for Wales that they now have to prepare differently.

I bloody hate the PRL, they release England players, but no-one else?! Tosspots. If the individual club agrees, then it should be completely up to them! Hope they don't throw a hissy fit over George North's full release agreement.

I bloody hate the PRL, they release England players, but no-one else?! Tosspots. If the individual club agrees, then it should be completely up to them! Hope they don't throw a hissy fit over George North's full release agreement.
I don't even get what this means for the PRL? Why do they care so much? And what kind of power do they have to change anything?

I agree though. Contract arrangements should be between club and country. It's none of the PRL's business.

I bloody hate the PRL, they release England players, but no-one else?!
The Australia game is outside he international window, that's the problem.

It's ridiculous, though. If the player wants to go, and the team will let them, then just let them get on with it. We had the same thing happen with Peel a season or two ago when he was selected by the Barbarians: Sale let him go but the PRL blocked it.

The agreement for the England Elite Player Squad is between the RFU and PRL, not the individual clubs themselves. As part of the agreement, England are the only country that receives out of window release. Technically, releasing James and North puts the PRL in breach of contract. You can see why that might be a big deal to them.

I am very curious as to what the PRL will do about the North situation.

Latest posts