• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[EOYT] Wales v Argentina 16/11/13

Hook is likely to be given the Friday night shift.

I think the issue on Lee's fitness is probably what has held him from starting. No doubt the longer he spends with Wales the better shape he will get. Look at Adam Jones as a prime example.

Samson Lee's weight shouldn't dictate whether he plays or not. Whether he is the best option available should. Which he palpably is.

It's clear that Rhodri Jones at tighthead is one of Gatland's pet projects. But I think this is a silly game to mess about with moving a loosehead who isn't a regular regional starter in his favoured position to play a game where he has minimal experience.

Samson Lee's weight shouldn't dictate whether he plays or not. Whether he is the best option available should. Which he palpably is.

It's clear that Rhodri Jones at tighthead is one of Gatland's pet projects. But I think this is a silly game to mess about with moving a loosehead who isn't a regular regional starter in his favoured position to play a game where he has minimal experience.

I don't get where this 'pet project' has come from. I know Draggs has said something earlier about it not coming from Rhodri, quite the opposite. He asked how he would best get a chance to play for Wales and at tight head he was told. Hence why he moved. Also he has played quite a bit at tight head but he's not good enough, but he should be given a chance and not written off like he's being done at the moment.

Oh and yes if his weight is an issue then the right call has been made. It's quite clear that there is a certain fitness needed and the intensity Wales would like to play means players have to be fit. The more he trains with Wales the fitter he will get. When he goes back to the Scarlets then the issue becomes a problem. Same thing of Jones, when he heads back the Ospreys he returns to Wales in a worse off shape than when Wales deliver him back to the O's a lot fitter than when he arrived.

You know Cymro, I honestly don't know now, because some have said he wants to play TH for various reasons, while others blame Wales/McBryde/etc.
His size isn't that of a TH, more of a loosehead (Gethin is close, what 6'2"?)

Thing is, he isn't getting time there for the Turks, behind Lee, Manu, Adriaanse these days. As of right now, I don't care if our prop is fat, we are missing our first three choices. Warb and Tipuric will more than cover the loose, while Richard Hibbard has absolutely no regard for his body.

Reminder:
Rhodri Jones has just 69 minutes of Rabo level this season (all at loosehead). And 0 minutes of Heineken Cup level rugby. He is the same prop who fails to break past the challenge of the might Phil John at the Scarlets. He went to Japan and was part of a scrum that got pushed off their own ball. He also has only started 4 matches at tighthead in his senior career. I can't think of any justification for this call.

You know Cymro, I honestly don't know now, because some have said he wants to play TH for various reasons, while others blame Wales/McBryde/etc.
His size isn't that of a TH, more of a loosehead (Gethin is close, what 6'2"?)

Thing is, he isn't getting time there for the Turks, behind Lee, Manu, Adriaanse these days. As of right now, I don't care if our prop is fat, we are missing our first three choices. Warb and Tipuric will more than cover the loose, while Richard Hibbard has absolutely no regard for his body.

His shape is not that of a natural tight head. I was surprised to see him even been called up but as I said I think there are a few issues outside Lee's build e.g. ****ling injuries and proneness to stupidity on the pitch that probably has meant he's not starting. Anyway I expect him to make an appearance off the bench fairly early on in the second half and maybe even at half time. I don't agree that Lee is on the bench, I want to see him start. Merle stating why I think he's not starting.

Reminder:
Rhodri Jones has just 69 minutes of Rabo level this season (all at loosehead). And 0 minutes of Heineken Cup level rugby. He is the same prop who fails to break past the challenge of the might Phil John at the Scarlets. He went to Japan and was part of a scrum that got pushed off their own ball. He also has only started 4 matches at tighthead in his senior career. I can't think of any justification for this call.

Thanks for that. Stats I knew, no need to get serious now. It's not like I play front row as it is and may have some clue at what's going on instead of justifying stats and all that.

Thanks for that. Stats I knew, no need to get serious now. It's not like I play front row as it is and may have some clue at what's going on instead of justifying stats and all that.

That post wasn't aimed at you, just stating how much of a bizarre and risky selection this is.

Puma team confirmed:

1-Marcos Ayerza
2-Eusebio Guiñazú
3-Maximiliano Bustos
4-Manuel Carizza
5-Patricio Albacete
6-Pablo Matera
7-Julio Farías
8-Juan Manuel Leguizamón
9-Martín Landajo
10-Nicolás Sánchez
11-Santiago Cordero
12-Santiago Fernández
13-Marcelo Bosch
14-Horacio Agulla
15-Joaquín Tuculet

Replacements:
16-Santiago Iglesias Valdez, 17-Nahuel Lobo, 18-Matías Díaz, 19-Tomás Lavanini, 20-Leonardo Senatore, 21-Tomás Cubelli, 22-Gabriel Ascárate, 23-Lucas González Amorosino.

Sad to see Imhoff out of this test, he was outstading in the last year match. However I am also excited to see Cordero start.

Also looking forward to see Tuculet at the fullback spot, he should have had more minutes in this team since a while ago.

Can't believe Landajo is still playing in the Pumas <_< he always make tons of mistakes per match.. I know Cubelli isn't that great either, but he is more secure with the ball. Totally angry with this change.

The bench for this match is really uncapped, only LGA and Senatore got some experience. I would like to see Ascárate enter in the second half for Santiago Fernandez who has shown once again he's not a center.

Oh and Horacio Agulla will be getting his 50 cap.

Out of interest, what's the club scene like in Argentina? I've heard very little about it, and the Argentinians who play in Europe tend to play in France(or that used to be the case). Only name that springs out at me from this current Argentina side is Lobbe.

Is the club scene more popular in places like Patagonia? (I only say that as I've heard there's a lot of Welsh ancestry in that area).

Is the club scene more popular in places like Patagonia? (I only say that as I've heard there's a lot of Welsh ancestry in that area).

There's little outdoor sports practice in Patagonia due to the cold weather conditions (only indoor sports like basketball are widespread there). The club scene of Argentina is heavily centered in Buenos Aires province, though some other provinces like Mendoza, Tucuman or Santa Fe also have decent rugby practice.

About welsh community... I don't know if they actually practice rugby, but a couple years ago the pumas went to play a test match for the 1st time to Chubut (province where the colony settled) as kind of an hommage to that welsh tradition in the south, tho I don't remember against whom it was.

Last edited:
Buddies, Which of the two Welsh Anthem jackets do you prefer? Red or Gray?

13111604235964117.jpg

131116042355371601.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:
There's little outdoor sports practice in Patagonia due to the cold weather conditions (only indoor sports like basketball are widespread there). The club scene of Argentina is heavily centered in Buenos Aires province, though some other provinces like Mendoza, Tucuman or Santa Fe also have decent rugby practice.

About welsh community... I don't know if they actually practice rugby, but a couple years ago the pumas went to play a test match for the 1st time to Chubut (province where the colony settled) as kind of an hommage to that welsh tradition in the south, tho I don't remember against whom it was.

That test was against Wales, remember watching the welcome the team got on the news. Hook made his debut in that one too, and Ian Evans scored a cracking long distance intercept

Ah ok. Thanks, was just curious :)

Congrats Gethin for 100 test and Agulla for 50 test!

Well I really tried but this is so hard to watch...

I'm gonna switch to the All Blacks match, that's real rugby.

1st scrum and a penalty straight away. No warning, nothing. A bit over the top. Maybe i'm biased.

Smart game of Wales. The Pumas are doing the dirty work but Wales make the point...

Last edited: