• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[EOYT] Wales v Argentina 16/11/13

I don't think that edge is viable any longer, we did drop 40 and 3 spectacular tries on them last year when they were on fire, coming off an excellent first TRC and a big two-tries-to-none win in Cardiff.

That is true enough, I should have phrazed my meaning less lazily.

That is true enough, I should have phrazed my meaning less lazily.

:lol: all good man, I'm kind of thinking out loud really. They DEFINITELY, definitely had an edge that lasted forever...the worst was losing twice in the RWC against them....AT HOME both times, and the 3rd place playoff they beat the crap out of us in Paris. And 2010, a June test. Score was 41-13.

But they've really lost that edge now. I'm almost (ALMOST !) nostalgic of the beatings they used to give us, but more seriously I am nostalgic of the height of their ability back then, that they could come to Europe and conquer and be a threat to any Tier 1 nation.

It will be interesting to see how Argentina go into the future. I said a few months back that I thought Argentina had reached their peak and were on the decline and they haven't put up much so far to convince me that it isn't the case.

Talk of a few welsh changes..

Pyrdie on the wing
cory allen in the centre
Rhodri jones tighthead
Tupiric for lydiate
Biggar 10

We'll see tomorrow

Is Rhodri Jones the guy who's a loosehead that they're hellbent on converting to tighthead?
Tipuric and Biggar would be good additions to the side, I feel. Nothing against Lydiate, he just had a quiet game last week, and Tipuric/Warburton make a great flanker partnership.
Was very impressed with Allen for Wales 7s, but not really seen much of him in the XV man game - will be interesting to see how he goes.

Going against the grain, somewhat, but I think Argentina will sneak this.

Is Rhodri Jones the guy who's a loosehead that they're hellbent on converting to tighthead?
Tipuric and Biggar would be good additions to the side, I feel. Nothing against Lydiate, he just had a quiet game last week, and Tipuric/Warburton make a great flanker partnership.
Was very impressed with Allen for Wales 7s, but not really seen much of him in the XV man game - will be interesting to see how he goes.

Going against the grain, somewhat, but I think Argentina will sneak this.

From what I've heard Jones wants to convert, he isn't just being pushed into it.
Amos offers more than Prydie in attack, but might be more of a concern in defence.
Would like to see either Allen or Williams start.

Apparantly Sanjay is going to start but Prydie's also been training in the 11 slot in case he isn't fully fit. But Allen is all but nailed-on to start, which is interesting. Very interesting indeed.

So I guess wales will finally get a win against a SH team ;-)

Apparantly Sanjay is going to start but Prydie's also been training in the 11 slot in case he isn't fully fit. But Allen is all but nailed-on to start, which is interesting. Very interesting indeed.

Allen is a nailed on start? That's some interesting news! I'm a big fan, so very interesting to see how he goes!
What time does the team get named?

Midday today.

I'm epecting Allen to make a very good shift of it. I suppose he's a like-for-like replacement for Davies, quick and powerful, as opposed to the more elusive, nippy Owen Williams (Who may even still be injured). As such, it makes sense to develop him/Scotty as a second-choice centre partnership that mirrors our first-choice pairing.

you won't get too many answers to that post, Aspry ! :p

Meh, welshmen should look at the brightside. Whenever they find themselves in a stupid discussion against...humm...let's say... England fans, they can argue they recently have defeated a SH side and technically they will be right :) Though I think that saying "30-3" will be enough to shut them up.

1pm its being announced ... but I have it early ...

Leigh Halfpenny (Blues), George North (Northampton Saints), Cory Allen (Blues), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Liam Williams (Scarlets), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Mike Phillips (Unattached), Gethin Jenkins (Blues), Richard Hibbard (Ospreys), Rhodri Jones (Scarlets), Bradley Davies (Blues), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Sam Warburton (Blues – CAPT), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Toby Faletau (Dragons).
Replacements: Ken Owens (Scarlets), Paul James (Bath), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Luke Charteris (Perpignan), Ryan Jones (Ospreys), Lloyd Williams (Blues), James Hook (Perpignan), Ashley Beck (Ospreys)

1pm its being announced ... but I have it early ...

Leigh Halfpenny (Blues), George North (Northampton Saints), Cory Allen (Blues), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Liam Williams (Scarlets), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Mike Phillips (Unattached), Gethin Jenkins (Blues), Richard Hibbard (Ospreys), Rhodri Jones (Scarlets), Bradley Davies (Blues), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Sam Warburton (Blues – CAPT), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Toby Faletau (Dragons).
Replacements: Ken Owens (Scarlets), Paul James (Bath), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Luke Charteris (Perpignan), Ryan Jones (Ospreys), Lloyd Williams (Blues), James Hook (Perpignan), Ashley Beck (Ospreys)

Wales are building quite a shortlist for the "Most unmerited cap of 2013" award it seems.

Reminder. Rhodri Jones is the same guy who can't get past Phil John in the Scarlets team.

Wales are building quite a shortlist for the "Most unmerited cap of 2013" award it seems.

Reminder. Rhodri Jones is the same guy who can't get past Phil John in the Scarlets team.

Don't agree that Rhodri should be starting. Samson Lee and Jarvis for me.

Can't help but think Wales are taking Argentina a little too lightly here, they aren't in a good place at the minute but you need to prepare for their best. Selecting a loosehead in a position he's plays little up against Ayerza doesn't seem to be the most sensible selection I've seen. Gatland must dislike Samson Lee for some reason, didn't even put him on the Japan tour and now plays a player who is beneath him at regional level. Very odd.

Not sure about Corey Allen as well. It's clear he has talent, but he hasn't had much time at regional level yet with only 4 starts. Ashley Beck, even in bad form, must be disappointed as missing out.

If Gatland is putting his pet projects in for the Argentina game. I fear the Tongan lineup could be even more inexperienced and see another traditional complete mess of a Friday night game.

Given the experimental nature of the side I've got to ask, is Biggar only back in because Gatland sees this is a less important game? Big step from no place in the squad one week and starting ten the next.

Given the experimental nature of the side I've got to ask, is Biggar only back in because Gatland sees this is a less important game? Big step from no place in the squad one week and starting ten the next.

Saw a quote on Twitter where Gatland said the plan was always to start Priestland in one game then Biggar in the next, to see how they'd go.
Outside of Allen (who I reckon can easily step up) and Rhodri Jones (this selection baffles me) this isn't really all that experimental is it?! Very almost our strongest available team at this moment in time, with all the injures.

Last edited:
Allen is the best chance we have to replace the Jamie Roberts figure. He is quite similar, both big Ex-CRFC backs who started at fullback. Dixon is another who could be a favourite. Jarvis must be injured, right? I can only assume heir issue with Lee is his weight, he is a bit... pudgy. Certainly a stronger scrummager than Jones.

Dan starting an AI not on Friday?!?

Latest posts