• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales v New Zealand - 05/11/2022

Speaking to my dad today and he keeps saying we don't have the money to pay him out and I keep reminding him that Pivac is costing us millions of pounds by losing games like Italy and he'll cost us another mill or 2 from the upcoming 6N. It actually makes financial sense to cut him loose now and get Robertson in who'll blatantly win us the WC.

Why didn't WRU offer Edwards the job post Gatland?
Because they're a bunch of useless *****. To be fair, I think Pivac had a large role to play in that decision as well. Probably didn't want anyone from Gatlands reign around him. Fresh start and all that. He probably knew that if he kept Edwards around, and things started going wrong that they'd be problems. An ego thing basically but who knows. Will have to wait for Edwards book. Lol

Halfpenny and Reffell are out. Adams and Cuthbert look ok, apparently. Wonder which fly half or winger we'll play at 15. Can't believe we went into this campaign with only one recognised full back and that was a guy who's almost mid 30s who has just come back from a year and a half lay off.

It's pretty negligent what he's done with the squad in general but not bringing through a 15 like Rogers or Lloyd or even the complete disregard he showed Jonah Holmes who was one of the best players in Wales before he left to play for Ealing or whoever is pretty bad. Now we're in the position were we'll probably play an old fly half like Priestland at 15. I'd rather Adams but even then Adams isn't a 15.

I expect the team to be something like…..

Thomas
Owens
Francis
Beard
Rowlands
Lydiate
Tipuric
Faletau

Williams
Anscombe
Dyer
Tompkins
North
LRZ
Adams

Except he'll probably go Priestland at 15 or 10 and move Anscombe accordingly. Personally, though I can certainly see the rationale in starting Lydiate (and he obviously will) I'd like to see Jac Morgan given a start.

Edit, I'm forgetting the most obvious thing which will be dropping Dyer for Cuthbert.

I didn't sign off on this squad but choosing players from those available I'd like to see.

Thomas
Roberts
Wainwright
Rowlands
Tshiunza
Morgan
Tipuric
Faletau

Williams
Costelow
Adams
Tompkins
North
Dyer
LRZ

Bench: Smith, Owens, Lewis, AWJ, Lydiate, Hardy, Anscombe, Hawkins

LRZ at 15 obviously isn't ideal but **** it, I'd be intrigued to see how he got on there and would only be a short term fix considering the predicament Pivac has put us in. No way he goes that experimental though as for a while now he knows he needs results which is why he started bringing back the old guard a bit more.

Very similar to what I'd like to see. I'd start Smith at looshead though because Thomas was poorbv NZ (not his fault, he shouldn't have been starting given his lack of gametime).

I'd like to see Morgan play in the backrow, but not sure if it would be sensible to play 2 opensides after it failed last week. Not convinced with Lydiate either (another with limited gametime), but in the absense of Moriarty or Wainwright he's probably our best option. Wouldn't rule out Macleod though, who Pivac seems despirate to play. Another injury prone player, who's only played a few games in the last few years and hasn't shown much form of late....

I hope Priestland isn't in the frame again. He was far from the worst last week, but he barely had any impact on the game. I'm concerned about Anscombe after last week too, but he probably deserves another shot this autumn at 10 where his pace would be less exposed. Costellow might have to wait for the Georgia game for his shot.

Very similar to what I'd like to see. I'd start Smith at looshead though because Thomas was poorbv NZ (not his fault, he shouldn't have been starting given his lack of gametime).

I'd like to see Morgan play in the backrow, but not sure if it would be sensible to play 2 opensides after it failed last week. Not convinced with Lydiate either (another with limited gametime), but in the absense of Moriarty or Wainwright he's probably our best option. Wouldn't rule out Macleod though, who Pivac seems despirate to play. Another injury prone player, who's only played a few games in the last few years and hasn't shown much form of late....

I hope Priestland isn't in the frame again. He was far from the worst last week, but he barely had any impact on the game. I'm concerned about Anscombe after last week too, but he probably deserves another shot this autumn at 10 where his pace would be less exposed. Costellow might have to wait for the Georgia game for his shot.
Yeah, as you know I wasn't sure on Anscombe going into this series but we might as well persist now and see where he is at the end. The problem with him is, and it's something pretty noticeable straight away, was that he has definitely lost a yard of pace. Totally understandable obviously and he could, maybe, recover some with more game time but his pace was what set him apart from Biggar and without that you just think what's he bringing to the table. And that's before you even get into some of his other failings.

Yeah, good point re Macleod, he has a massive hard on for him which I've never understood. When he's fit (not often) he looks decent but nothing special and I laughed when Pivac said he can play across the back row and I just thought WTF. Is this a thing Pivac does now, just says players can play positions they've never/barely played in before. I think the only player we have who can genuinoy cover the entire back row is Navidi. Moriarty is an excellent 8/6 and has a lot of dog in him as well as experience so leaving him out over Macleod was bonkers.

I'm not sure Navidi genuinely covers all three backrow positions anymore, he's quite a lot bigger than he was when he used to regularly play 7, and whilst he can play 8, I'm not sure he's international standard there.

Wainwright comes close due to his pace, but he's not great over the ball.

Realistically, I can't think of any other player than Ardie Savea who can genuinely play all three positions, and he's one of the best players in the world as a result.

Macleod certainly can't though, don't recall him ever packing down at 8 for Scarlets, and not sure I remember him playing too often at 6, maybe when Cubby was playing. Wasn't 100% convinced by Macleod even when he was playing well for Scarlets, his turnover stats were good, but he wasn't renowned as a ball carrier, or link player, or defender tbh. If he get's his opportunity this Autumn I'd still be delighted for him though, he's had some propper bad luck with injuries.

Ardie Savea who can genuinely play all three positions, and he's one of the best players in the world as a result.
Ardie can play 6 but even during last RWC he was still packing down at 8 and Read at 6.

Latest posts