• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Euan Murray questions Sunday matches

Considering the extremely tight schedule of the WC as it is (mid week matches for some teams, resulting in 3 games in as little as 10 days for some), I don't think there's room in the schedule to drop Sunday matches unfortunately. This is professional sport we're talking about, and the powers that be won't sacrifice money in favour of slightly over the top religious beliefs, after all 99% of Christians in the UK and many other nations would have little or no problem playing a game of rugby on a Sunday, in the same way many people are required to work in shops etc. on Sundays.

Respect to him for actually following what he believes in.

Unfortunately, rugby doesn't have a religion and never will. They don't, and should never take into account personal belief systems when creating fixtures for an international​ competition.

For a club rugby comp, maybe. But we have countries from Secular, Christian and Islamic states playing IRB sanctioned test matches. There would simply be too much conflict if we bothered to take things like this into consideration.

I think there is a significant amount of spin placed in this article. (as always of course)
A reporter obviously went to Murray to ask him spefically about his unavailability, and seems to have ***led and based his article on just two quotes.

Its his opinion, and I am sure most will respectfully disagree with it, and I am sure he knows this as well.

Mind, there are many, many Christian pro rugby players whom probably would not play on a Sunday in SA, that is why there are never (well maybe one or two could have passed me by in the last decade) any pro matches scheduled on Sundays here, and there are hardly ever any club games on Sundays either.

I love Sunday matches, the weekend is something to look forward to with the extra games. You can't beat setting your alarm clock at silly o'clock in the morning, make a cuppa and some toast and watch the rugby. The guy is living in the dark ages because sport is always played on Sunday's now, TV has a lot to answer for but I have no problem with it personally.

I love Sunday matches, the weekend is something to look forward to with the extra games. You can't beat setting your alarm clock at silly o'clock in the morning, make a cuppa and some toast and watch the rugby. The guy is living in the dark ages because sport is always played on Sunday's now, TV has a lot to answer for but I have no problem with it personally.

Disagree completely and I think that is a slight insult towards someone who has religious belief's, people must respect Murray's view even if they disagree with it.

Jonathan Edwards was another who did not participate on Sunday's.

lol in fiji no rugby matches at all played on sundays....no playing at all:(

people must respect Murray's view even if they disagree with it.
In order to get this baby going, I'll bite :)

Strongly dissagree. I'm sure hes a nice guy, and means well, but anyone with beliefs that absurd should be avoided, not respected.

In order to get this baby going, I'll bite :)

Strongly dissagree. I'm sure hes a nice guy, and means well, but anyone with beliefs that absurd should be avoided, not respected.

Likewise any person who thinks that his beliefs are that absurd are to be avoided :)

I am ready to respect any sportsman who decides their personal beliefs prohibit them from playing at certain times, but if he genuinely wanted to impose his views on the competition, he should GTFO.

I rather suspect he didn't and the article is bullshit. WIthout looking that is.

Likewise any person who thinks that his beliefs are that absurd are to be avoided :)
Only by people with the absurd beliefs yes. Anyone who believes in sky fairies should indeed avoid those who call them mad.

Ahh I havent the heart for the arguement.

I believe one of the founding members of TRF is quite religious. Ive done this one before on here, and while its fun, im not actually that interested quite now.

Would suggest the moderators shut this one down as its only going to go one way.

Would suggest the moderators shut this one down as its only going to go one way.

Why it's a discussion topic.

People can respect your views, but it doesn't mean they have to not post in this thread just because you believe it's a bad idea.

;)

Euan Murray: The Tail wagging the Dog.

Fair play. I'll sit back, wait for someone to say something stupid, then pounce when I'm bored.

Could help pass a day or two.

There will be two sides to this. Athiests and Agnostics like me will, despite respecting his views, will think its a load of baloney, "There are 24 hours in the day, what harm can 2 taken out make" for example and the people who share the same beliefs as Murray who will applaud his statements.

One would also presume that, if that is the belief, one would not support their team when competing on a Sunday without said person?

Just throw that one out there. Mix things up a little.

Seems relevant to bring out this:

Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mindbogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as the final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God. The argument goes something like this:
"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."
"But," says Man, "The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."
"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanished in a puff of logic.
"Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing

I'm a pretty devout Catholic and I'm willing to play Sundays I'' respect anyone who stands by their beliefs (though in some cases it may be a grudging respect.)

I won't pollute this thread with my (negative) views on religion. But the question is largely irrelevant since Sunday games attract big audiences, especially this year since people can stay up and watch the games without having to worry (for most people) about school/work etc.