Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Czech Republic

• Denmark

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Either Sweeden or Denmark, England won't get past tonight.

too right!

beaten by a goaly with only one name and no gloves.

brilliant.

if only he'd have taken the peno shoeless.
<

No doubt the Scum will have burning effigies of Urs Meirs on the front page tomorow. Yes England were unlucky to have Campbell's goal ruled out again but overall Portugal deserved the win. England looked lost without Rooney. Ballsy penalty by Postiga by the way.

What a cheeky and bloody dangerous pen by Postiga, and Ricardo what about a ballsy goalkeeper?

I swichted over to BBC to hear their commentary after the Cambell "goal". Every five minutes you couldn't hear the end of how they were robbed and what a sham etc etc. I think the fact that they forgot that there is a rule that says if you impeed tha goaly in anywhy its a free. Though Ronaldo was robbed. But Portugal did the right thing and didn't run around complaining , they came back and what do they do... score. Somthing England did not look like doing, Portugal had a dodgy defence though.

Overall Portugal deserved to win. A portugal Czech final could be on the cards.

Originally posted by robbinho@Jun 25 2004, 09:47 AM
too right!

beaten by a goaly with only one name and no gloves.

brilliant.

if only he'd have taken the peno shoeless.
<
yeah, imagine if it slipped through his hands because of no gloves
<

Bitter comments from the Irish contingent on the board, but I'd expect no less. You would rather die than see England do well. Well congratulations, your voodoo dolls have worked again. You can move outside the house now, because England are out.

As always, I can hold my head up as high as it will go, because in the face of intense pressure, we came back from the death to snatch a draw when it looked like we were going out. We lost as always on penalties, but I feel nothing but pride.

I see people are saying that the goal was right to be disallowed and we shouldn't harp on about it. Rubbish. It was the biggest decision that had to be made in the tournament, and the referee choked it. Extra time and a penalty defeat should not have followed, because that goal SHOULD have stood. All this crap about the goalkeeper being impeded is rubbish. Terry jumped for the header AND HIS EYES NEVER LEFT THE BALL. The referee gave the foul for a push by Sol Campbell. THE ONLY PERSON CAMPBELL PUSHED WAS JOHN TERRY. No matter what you say, it was NOT the right decision. The Welsh are saying it, the Scottish are saying it, the Spanish are saying it.... EVERYONE is saying it, because it's the truth. The referee should NOT be allowed to referee such a high pressure game ever again, because he has proven he's a bottler. Simply not good enough.

As far as the game goes... for all the Portugese dominance, I was shocked when they scored. I expected England to hold out, and I wasn't worried we were going to concede. John Terry made one mistake the whole game, and that was to leave Postiga alone for the goal, which he couldn't really miss. What a joke he is - that penalty could have been the biggest joke in international football had he missed it. I was relaxed all game, and had visions of us holding out, not conceding an equaliser the Portugese had been chasing, realistically, since the 3rd minute when we opened the scoring. I couldn't see us letting it slip. But we did, and when we did I thought we'd struggle to see the game out. But we dug in. In my lifetime I have never seen an England midfield fold, crumbled and basically be none existant as much as it was in that match. Totally outplayed. A midfield consisting of David Beckham, Steven Gerrard, Paul Scholes and Frank Lampard was toally overrun by a distinctly average Portugese midfield in a distinctly average Portugese team. I'd be very happy to see Deco sign for Chelsea because he is one hell of a run of the mill footballer. Nice to see an acceptance of his substitution by Luis Figo...
<

I'm still backing my original tips - the Czech Republic. The Portugese will not win it because quite simply they aren't good enough. I think it will be a France vs Czech Republic final. This tournament has come to early for England - I think we'll make a big push for the World Cup in 2006. They'll be stronger for this experience, and it will make them better players and better men for it. The way they battled back in extra time after going 2-1 down was stirring - I thought we were going to go on and win it when Lampard made it 2-2 (I can imagine the Irish throwing things at the TV in disgust at that moment!) but credit to Portugal, they dug in deep when it was they who were on the back foot.

I don't think we deserved to lose, again. Reminded me very much of the French game - we had to sit back and got stung late on and never properly recovered. We were so close to squeezing the result out. We looked comfortable, and again, the goal was a bolt out of the blue.

England go out again, but they haven't let me down. They will never let me down, because they are England.

English and proud!

As a lot of teams have found in this tourney, you can't expect to defend a one goal lead for too long (especially when you don't have the best defense in the world)......

Portugal deserved to win, they played the more positive footy.

Terry definitely impeded the goalie when Campbell had his goal ruled out, and it looked like the ball crossed the line just prior to Portugal actually scoring (though I never did see a replay of it to be sure??).

Beckham...........................is that THREE penalty misses in a row in internationals??????? Vassels effort was terrible as well.

On the positive front a well taken goal by Lampard - he's one English player who has shown his class, along with Cole who had it over Ronaldo on the left hand side.

Originally posted by NZL fan@Jun 25 2004, 11:02 AM
Terry definitely impeded the goalie when Campbell had his goal ruled out, and it looked like the ball crossed the line just prior to Portugal actually scoring (though I never did see a replay of it to be sure??).
No and no.

If you call challenging for a header impeding the opposing player, you're very much unaware of the rules.

The clearance off the line was comfortably the right side. For England anyway, not the rest of the obsessed watching world.

ANY time you put a hand on the keeper in the box you are dicing with death............

As was the case in this instance..............

This is it though, at no point was a hand laid on the keeper. Terry jumped for the ball with the keeper, eyes firmly on the ball, and Campbell powered the header home by jumping on Terry for leverage, AT NO POINT GOING NEAR THE GOALKEEPER, who looked terrified.

We clearly agree to disagree on this one, for mine Terry DEFINITELY laid a hand on the keeper in an effort to go for the ball.........

Originally posted by NZL fan@Jun 25 2004, 11:41 AM
We clearly agree to disagree on this one, for mine Terry DEFINITELY laid a hand on the keeper in an effort to go for the ball.........
As you say, any challenge with a goalkeeper is dicing with death, sadly.

Originally posted by An Tarbh@Jun 25 2004, 09:54 AM
England looked lost without Rooney.
Wouldn't say we looked lost but it was a critical point in the game. And when he picked up that injury, our Swiss friend blew up for a mystery free kick to Portugal. Sums up his game, imo.

Overall I feel England should have pushed for a second goal with more vigour......especially as the opening goal was so early in the piece.........

Portugal looked a pretty poor team, but being allowed to attack (even though many shots were wayward) without much need to defend meant they were allowed to get into the game, and increase their confidence as the game progressed.

The team that wins this comp. is a team that is a little more ruthless in attack, and not content to sit on a one goal advantage.....

At the moment that team appears to be the Czechs..........

The Czechs WILL win.

The only team you'd worry about them not beating, imo, is the French, who are a damned good team as well. I think that the Czechs with their attacking style would worry that French defence some!

England should have pushed for the second, but as I've said... they couldn't. They just couldn't get the midfielders on the ball and we couldn't build attacks. Don't know where the four of them went, total mystery. The Bermuda Triangle appeared in the middle of the pitch in Lisbon this evening...

Paul S. has been missing for at least a season - the Manager was relying on past glories by having him in every starting line up..............

If I was English coach I would seriously look at rebuilding from scratch, using the base of the younger players from this tourny.

This would include the finding of a new captain, and the dropping of Beckham from at least the starting line up........apart from his dead ball prowess, he is not up to the class of the better right hand nidfielders going around..............

Where are all the English left hand midfielders?????????

Originally posted by NZL fan@Jun 25 2004, 12:00 PM
Where are all the English left hand midfielders?????????
Ah, this is our biggest problem you see.

We've not had a good left sided player since the late 1980's. It's a huge problem. Wales have Ryan Giggs, Ireland have Damien Duff, Scotland have James McFadden.

We have nobody. We have right footed central midfielders on the left, and it is something of a problem. Joe Cole COULD play there but he isn't fundamentally a left sided player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts