Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spain

• Sweden

• Switzerland

• Total voters
Owen played well. BUT he has lost his pace entirely. There is no 'zip' and acceleration, he looks tired when he runs with it. It is worrying that he is not his normal self. I really, really want him to score vs the Portugese though, hopefully that will get him going again.

good to see Scholesy scoring. He had a couple of shots vs France and Switzerland that he'd have troubled the keeper with for Man U, but he scuffed horrible in the games. Then after his goal yesterday he had two shots, crisply struck, forcing good saves. Good to see.

Bulgaria 1 - 0 Italy approaching half time - the Italians are crashing out at the moment; they need two goals to have a chance.

Oooooh, looks like a stitch-up! And I hope it was. The Italians only started playing any football when they were almost out on their arse. Good for the tournament that the two positive sides went through from the group.

Good to see the back of the Italians. Their public is to football as what the Kiwi public are to rugby. Expect everything, receive little, and very harsh on their team if they don't have success.

Sweden and Denmark are good to watch. Looks like attack is having much the better of strong defence in this championship, all the teams scoring goals are looking good at the moment, England, Czechs, Danish and French.

Hey! I'm Italian.
<

Have to say, good to see the back of Italy. Too negative for mine and everybody elses liking.

Good for the tournament that the Italians are out, this team hasn't looked up to much.

Watched the Sweden Denmark match tonight, was surprised it wasn't on ITV, cracking match, great goal from Tomason, that's his third, Sorensen looked a bit dodgy in the second half after making some cracking saves in the first half, was at fault for the penalty and could hold the ball for Jonson's goal.

Czechs against the Danes is certainly an interetsing match. Sweden against Holland looks on the cards as well. Think that England will sneak the Portuguese
2-1 on Thursday, France should go through, with Sweden and the Czechs to make up the semis.

Originally posted by An Tarbh@Jun 22 2004, 09:09 PM
Sorensen looked a bit dodgy in the second half after making some cracking saves in the first half, was at fault for the penalty and could hold the ball for Jonson's goal.
Shouldn't have been a penalty. Best dive I've evre seen, but there was 0 contact at all, just a convincing dive by Larsson.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Italian alleges Euro fix
From correspondents in Guimares, Portugal
June 23, 2004

ITALY goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon has questioned the morality of Denmark and Sweden after the 2-2 draw between the Scandinavian teams eliminated the Azzurri from Euro 2004 today.

A dejected Buffon as Italy crash out /AP

Italy's last-gasp 2-1 victory over the already eliminated Bulgarians proved futile as the Swedes and the Danes went through to the quarter-finals at the Italians' expense with a result that suited both teams.

All three teams finished on five points, but Sweden and Denmark advanced to the last eight thanks to the number of goals scored in games between the three Group C rivals.

"I can't believe that two nations like Denmark and Sweden, who pride themselves on morality, could do such a thing under the eyes of the watching world," said 26-year-old Buffon.

"There has been talk for days about the possibility of a 2-2 draw and now it's happened â€" incredible.

"What kind of example does this set to the children who come to watch football. Someone should be ashamed and it isn't us."

Buffon said he thought Italy had booked their place in the knockout stages when Antonio Cassano scored a last-gasp winner until he turned to share his joy with the fans.

"I went to celebrate with our supporters, but I could tell by their faces that the result in the other match hadn't gone our way," said the Juventus star, the world's most expensive goalkeeper.

Italy defender Alessandro Nesta said to go out without losing a match was a bitter pill to swallow.

"It's painful because we have five points and were undefeated," said the AC Milan centre-back, whose clubmate Jon-Dahl Tomasson hit both Denmark's goals against the Swedes.

"To finish third behind two teams who are inferior to us really hurts."

Italy's early exit was their third cruel end to a tournament having lost to France to a golden goal in the Euro 2000 final and then going out in controversial fashion to South Korea in the second round of the 2002 World Cup finals.

Italy defender Massimo Oddo was equally dumbstruck by another embarrassment for the Azzurri, who were billed as one of the tournament favourites.

"I can't describe my feelings," said the Lazio right-back. "Football can be cruel sometimes and in the last few tournaments we've had more than our fair share of bad luck."[/b]

Now personally I'm a fan of Sweden and I loath the Italian football team more than even the English one (and that says alot) and I just think it's funny Italy are out and can't see what all the fuss is about, but I also don't really care all that much about how EURO 2004 turns out or any other soccer comp for that matter and don't know the history of the teams... So tell me: is this conspiracy theory legit? or is it just another whining Italian football loser?

Buffon is talking absolute ********. If he'd watched the game he would have seen there was no possibility that a 2-2 draw was fixed between them, great game of football, sour grapes on his part. Obviously you were going to get the scenes at the end of the game with nobody willing to risk anything, but that's happened before in Italia 90 when Holland and Ireland played the game out after they both knew the result would get them through.

There is little chance of a fix in my mind.

The only questionable thing was the way Sorensen parried the shot before Jonson's goal.

Or he could have been a little ****** at the penalty decision and not been as focused for the rest of the match.

Worst German team of living memory. Payback for Euro 96 continues 8 years on...

Good Stuff.
Auf Wiederschein Germany
Arrivavideci Italy
Adios Spain

___

Czech Republic are looking damn good. Baros on red hot form. Strong backup players in all positions, and Nedved and Poborsky running the show in the middle. Cech looks solid at the back.

Quarter Final Lineup

Thursday 24 June 19:45, QF1
Portugal v England
Luz, Lisbon

Friday 25 June 19:45
QF2
France v Greece
Jose Alvalade, Lisbon

Saturday 26 June 19:45, QF3
Sweden v Holland
Faro-Loulé

Sunday 27 June 19:45, QF4
Czech Rep v Denmark
Dragao, Porto

I'm Going for

Portugal 0-2 England
France 2-1 Greece
Sweden 2-2 Holland (Larsson Golden Goal to win it in ET)
Czech Rep 2-1 Denmark

Latest posts