• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Euro 2020[1]

I'm not 100% either, but the fact that it even happens is an indication of the state of football in this country.
For sure and I agree with your general sentiment that not enough is being done about this kinda stuff. BS fines from the authorities when there's been blatant racism in grounds and stuff like that doesn't help at all but worst of all look at the horrible government we have in power and the division Brexit has caused so it's hardly surprising. In fact, I see this type of thing only getting worse, sadly.

Per Guardian article above I think the penalty takers were decided well before. Rightly or wrongly.

Still, there must be a science to penalty kicks. Areas of the goal penalty takers have a higher degree of scoring with X amount of force of kick. And each player in the squad able and know beforehand where they are going to place it etc.
I know you are quoting someone else, so this ain't on you: I don't buy that for a second. Neither the shooter nor the spot selection. Coach might have a shortlist, but injuries and confidence at the time are crucial.
And the spot? You notice the goalie is limping a bit on his right leg and you won't adjust and shot as per the pre-game instruction?
I don't believe so, especially after watching how they missed.

Footie, as popular as it is, is incredibly unprofessional and unscientific in many aspects in most places. Egos and improv rule. (most) Coaching in big teams is 80% about pampering and managing egos, 20% physical and strategy.
Germany used a stat analyst for penalties in 2006 if I recall correctly. The idea was deemed laughable and a waste of 50k euros in Argentina. We lost to them in penalties, course.

And the spot? You notice the goalie is limping a bit on his right leg and you won't adjust and shot as per the pre-game instruction?
I don't believe so, especially after watching how they missed.

Shearer, Lineker and Lampard all said, yesterday, that they'd have their shot choice set in stone way in advance of any penalty - didn't want any doubt/second guessing coming in.
Obv different for every player, though - Rashford's looked like he was trying to get a reaction/react to that reaction
Sancho and Saka could be either - at the end of the day there's always a chance a shot at goal will be saved, and they were against the best goalie in the tournament

I heard the same interview with Southgate re: having the order of penalty takers agreed on way in advance and it wasn't a spur of the moment list.
Could've just been trying to relieve the pressure on the young players, but I dunno - it was a weird order and I can't imagine he'd just wing it

Shearer, Lineker and Lampard
Precisely. I could buy it from those 3. All hard kickers, (and) near-the-post shooters, no bs run trick thingies, no halfways. Even if the goalie guesses right he can't reach it. I'd buy that argument from them. I'd believe that from someone like Kane too. That's not what I saw yesterday thou.
Rashford? If he actually planned that, he is an idiot and not because he missed it.

I'm surprised about the rest. The rule i've always heard was the coaches had a list but took into account character/confidence/attitude, whatever you wanna call it. What's the name of the red Man U guy? Scholes right? I've heard Forlan say he was the better penalty shooter but Forlan was generally their second choice at the time because of confidence.

Colleague at work caught Covid attending the Italy v Spain match. Only in his early 20s. But entirely foreseeable. Now off sick from work for at least a week, plus self isolation. Before he had his first jab.

Callum Hudson-Odoi switching to Ghana. While it does seem to have been in the pipeline for a little bit since he didn't get selected for the Euros, the racism after apparently was a deciding factor. Wonder if other players are considering doing something similar.

Does anyone know if these banning orders actually stop those found guilty of getting into the stadium, or is it more they can't buy tickets, because as far as I can see there is nothing to stop their friends buying them a ticket?

Latest posts