• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

European Champions Cup 2017/18: Pool 3

Should Leinster win their quarter final and if Munster or Ulster finish as 5th seeds, Leinster will have a home semi final due to the fact that it'll be played in Lansdowne Road.

I'd like Sarries in the quarter final. It'd be a great challenge to go head to head with the defending champs. Next get revenge on Scarlets for the Pro12 semi final defeat.
Not true as Ulster have being asking about Windsor Park and Killarney doing rounds down here.
Pairc Ui Chaiomh mentioned too but think there issue there. It due to under the new competition there is change in how it's done.

Not true as Ulster have being asking about Windsor Park and Killarney doing rounds down here.
Pairc Ui Chaiomh mentioned too but think there issue there. It due to under the new competition there is change in how it's done.
As the IRFU own the Aviva Stadium, it'll 100% be there should they have the choice. It's where Munster, Leinster and Ulster have hosted their semi finals since the stadium was built. Why would the IRFU through the provinces nominate a venue which they can't get rent from? Would make no sense and won't happen.

Impressed with Leinster today. They can play a lot better but still dug out a comfortable win on the road against a fully loaded team who are top of the Top 14.

Robbie Henshaw, Sean Cronin, Tadhg Furlong and James Ryan were very good. Luke McGrath made mistakes but lifted the pace when he replaced Jamison Gibson Park. James Lowe mixed very good moments with sloppy play. Devin Toner slipped off a couple of tackles in an uncharacteristically poor game for him.

The main thing Leinster were looking for from this game was how the likes of Jordan Larmour, Ross Byrne, James Ryan and Andrew Porter performed. All receive positive reports.

Last edited:
As the IRFU own the Aviva Stadium, it'll 100% be there should they have the choice. It's where Munster, Leinster and Ulster have hosted their semi finals since the stadium was built. Why would the IRFU though the provinces nominate a venue which they can't get rent from? Would make no sense and won't happen.

Impressed with Leinster today. They can play a lot better but still dug out a comfortable win on the road against a fully loaded team who are top of the Top 14.

Robbie Henshaw, Sean Cronin, Tadhg Furlong and James Ryan were very good. Luke McGrath made mistakes but lifted the pace when he replaced Jamison Gibson Park. James Lowe mixed very good moments with sloppy play. Devin Toner slipped off a couple of tackles in an uncharacteristically poor game for him.

The main thing Leinster were looking for from this game was how the likes of Jordan Larmour, Ross Byrne, James Ryan and Andrew Porter performed. All receive positive reports.
It was raised at AGM last year. The fact that EPCR pay the rent it was agreed it would be looked at if the event had risen which is possible now. IRFU would loose financially but only on rent not actually paying.

James Ryan looks a brilliant, brilliant player, just rewatched the game and it's hard to believe he's only 21 the way he was bossing the Leinster pack today.

James Ryan looks a brilliant, brilliant player, just rewatched the game and it's hard to believe he's only 21 the way he was bossing the Leinster pack today.
It was very noticeable in the maul from which Sean Cronin scored. He was cajoling the pack forward and making sure they were in the right positions. That's impressive from the youngest member of the pack who had just 4 starts and less than 300 minutes on the field for Leinster before today.

All without SOB, Heaslip, Sexton, Fardy, Ringrose and Ruddock. Serious generation of players coming through at Leinster. In time I reckon Ross Byrne will prove to be the superior out half when compared to Carberry.

Might be a case of careful what you wish for but i wouldn't mind a cut off Saracens in the quarter final.

All without SOB, Heaslip, Sexton, Fardy, Ringrose and Ruddock. Serious generation of players coming through at Leinster. In time I reckon Ross Byrne will prove to be the superior out half when compared to Carberry.

Might be a case of careful what you wish for but i wouldn't mind a cut off Saracens in the quarter final.
Sure why fear Saracens in on form.
Leinster are form team at moment

In time I reckon Ross Byrne will prove to be the superior out half when compared to Carberry.
He's grown a huge amount as a player. This season he's attacking the line more often and looking to break himself. It'll never be the strongest area of his game but it keeps defences in two minds which releases more room for those outside him. This season he's been starting 10 in wins to Munster away, Ulster (twice), Montpellier (twice) and played almost the whole game in the comeback win against Exeter. Not bad for a 22 year old to have those results on his CV. He doesn't get the credit he deserves partially due to the success of all the other young backs in Leinster over the last 18 months.

I'm in the Joey Carbery camp though. I think he offers a more exciting attacking game. Whether it's more effective than Byrne's in very much open to debate. It's a brilliant position for Leinster to be in.

Late last year I'd have thought the same Re Byrne over Carbery but not any more. I think JC can add to his kicking game which will aid his game management and I rate him as a better runner and passer already, the only thing going against JC is his versatility. Didn't think Byrne was great yesterday in all honesty, JGP controlled the game more from 9.

Sure why fear Saracens in on form.
Leinster are form team at moment

The quarter finals are in April. They mightn't be in form now but they're a champion side filled with internationals. Don't get be wrong i'm bullish like.....but Saracens more than any other QFist are capable of winning in Dublin.

He's grown a huge amount as a player. This season he's attacking the line more often and looking to break himself. It'll never be the strongest area of his game but it keeps defences in two minds which releases more room for those outside him. This season he's been starting 10 in wins to Munster away, Ulster (twice), Montpellier (twice) and played almost the whole game in the comeback win against Exeter. Not bad for a 22 year old to have those results on his CV. He doesn't get the credit he deserves partially due to the success of all the other young backs in Leinster over the last 18 months.

I'm in the Joey Carbery camp though. I think he offers a more exciting attacking game. Whether it's more effective than Byrne's in very much open to debate. It's a brilliant position for Leinster to be in.

Absolutely. When Sexton steps aside they'll push each other to improve hopefully.

FWIW my opinion is that Carberry is a better player than Madigan but he reminds of him at 10. Capable of individual brilliance and for the most part an accomplished playmaker but might be more prone to an error every now and again. Byrne has lovely hands and kicks well but his greatest strength, and something thats worthy of high praise at 22, is his assuredness at 10. He just doesn't make many mistakes with possession and thats why i think he'll win long term.

Late last year I'd have thought the same Re Byrne over Carbery but not any more. I think JC can add to his kicking game which will aid his game management and I rate him as a better runner and passer already, the only thing going against JC is his versatility. Didn't think Byrne was great yesterday in all honesty, JGP controlled the game more from 9.

Nah not having that Alpha Bro. Byrnes skip pass is Larkhamesque!

Latest posts