• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

European Champions Cup 2017/18: Pool 3

Dirty auld pool this one, four teams with a combined 5 losses six and seven rounds into their domestic season with each side having something going in their favour that would make them think they'll top it.

Glasgow are Europe's form team so far this season, unbeaten having made light work of Munster and with an impressive first Pro 14 away win in Bloemfontein they'll be quietly confident on improving upon their campaign last year which saw them sneak out of their pool prior to being put to the sword by the eventual champions.

Exeter are the only team in this pool with a bit of silver in their trophy cabinet right now and will surely hope the grit that made them champions translates to Europe this time around, good premiership form has been somewhat ruined by forgetting to turn up on two occasions, that shouldn't happen in Europe, expect them to protect home soil in a battle on Friday night, tie of the round for me.

Montpellier have a lot of money, they know how to spend a lot of money, well paid players have them dominating at home and contesting away in the Top 14, they're not here to take part and will beat any side who fail to play to their best.

Leinster are the only side with a bit of European pedigree in this pool, being the only side to have won a knockout game, or a bucket load in their case, but form hasn't been a word that has been preceded by good when talking about this side this season. Johnny10 looks the fittest he's been since his ill fated trip to Paris and has a strong claim to being the best player in this tournament and Solar System, Robbie Henshaw helped sure up the midfield on his return which aided Rory O'Loughlin greatly but brainless moments from the young back row and back three continue to hinder them. Isa and Sean O'Brien are expected to return to bring much needed experience but if Leinster don't show up in the next two weeks they'll have to kiss Europe goodbye.

This Pool......

Exeter V Glasgow should be a cracker BUT the fact that Glasgow had to go to SA and back this week and then the long trip to Sandy park might prove costly for them keeping there 100% record.

Will be interesting to see what Cotter mindset is on Europe though can't see them doing the old french thing of CBA European away games.

This Pool......

Exeter V Glasgow should be a cracker BUT the fact that Glasgow had to go to SA and back this week and then the long trip to Sandy park might prove costly for them keeping there 100% record.

Will be interesting to see what Cotter mindset is on Europe though can't see them doing the old french thing of CBA European away games.
I reckon he'll go all out, always did with Clermont once his squad was up to scratch which it certainly is this in Montpellier... Hopefully we can beat them this week, they pick up losses in Scotstoun and Sandy Park and don't give a **** come January... Hopefully!

Nervous for this on if im honest. Cheifs have had a bp win against Lirish worcester falcons wasps and newcastle. And bp losses to gloucester and Leicester.

Think we can win but need a strong start. To set us up. Prem champions gives pressure to perform.

Not sure glasgows current form but they are a tough team to beat.

I think we can win but also i hope we do the chiefs game and get a BP regardless.

Can i bet now that sam simmonds will score? Haha

Nervous for this on if im honest. Cheifs have had a bp win against Lirish worcester falcons wasps and newcastle. And bp losses to gloucester and Leicester.

Think we can win but need a strong start. To set us up. Prem champions gives pressure to perform.

Not sure glasgows current form but they are a tough team to beat.

I think we can win but also i hope we do the chiefs game and get a BP regardless.

Can i bet now that sam simmonds will score? Haha
Glasgow are six from six with four BPs so far this season, including bp wins against the previously unbeaten at home Cheetahs and last year's best defence in the Pro 14 (and possibly Europe) Munster. At home and playing well Chiefs should win but as that is the case with every game in this group I'd not be surprised to see Glasgow nick an invaluable away win as is the case with Montpellier in Dublin.

I hope Leinster beat Montpellier with an ugly stick a baseball bat or semtex anything ugly duckling - Allez les Bleus!

Last edited:
Hearing word that Sexton may be out this week.

If the rumours are true I don't think we'll have enough for Montpellier - here's hoping it's ********.

Hearing word that Sexton may be out this week.

If the rumours are true I don't think we'll have enough for Montpellier - here's hoping it's ********.
Seems there truth in it. Ross Byrne at 10 would be right call. His game more suited to challenge and Carbery has found form at 15

Rumour coming from one guy on Leinster Fans from what I can tell... Sexton didn't train Monday so someone is obviously chatting **** based on that, I'd be hugely surprised if he didn't play.

Any sources lads? He looked as fit as he ever has last week and there's nothing in the papers so I'd be very doubtful.
Again didn't see any source written. Was on radio but again they could be basing it off anything.
Agreed he looked fitter last week than previous times I've seen him. So not sure what injury he's supposed to have either

Leinsters chances of winning in Montpellier fall hugely if Sexy is out. I don't know who I would start in his place to be honest. Carberry was great at 15 against us, but I don't think Byrne will have the keys to Montpellier's defence and he'll be ridden.

Wow of Leinster don't win this pressure will really rise fast. But think they'll be ok as Montpellier have some big names but we'll a few are on just their name and not performance lately. Strange for all the hype on ROL he isn't good enough to be on squad despite raft of injuries.

Leinster:

15. Joey Carbery
14. Adam Byrne
13. Robbie Henshaw
12. Isa Nacewa (captain)
11. Barry Daly
10. Ross Byrne
9. Luke McGrath

1. Jack McGrath
2. James Tracy
3. Tadhg Furlong
4. Devin Toner
5. Scott Fardy
6. Rhys Ruddock
7. Josh van der Flier
8. Jack Conan

Replacements

16. Seán Cronin
17. Cian Healy
18. Michael Bent
19. Ross Molony
20. Jordi Murphy
21. Jamison Gibson-Park
22. Noel Reid
23. Fergus McFadden

Montpellier

15. Jesse Mogg
14. Benjamin Fall
13. Joseph Tomane
12. Frans Steyn
11. Nemani Nadolo
10. Thomas Darmon
9. Ruan Pienaar

1. Mikheil Nariashvili
2. Bismarck Du Plessis
3. Antoine Guillamon
4. Jacques Du Plessis
5. Nicholaas Van Rensburg
6. Kelian Galletier
7. Yacouba Camara
8. Louis Picamoles

Replacements

16. Romain Ruffenach
17. Yvan Watremez
18. Davit Kubriashvili
19. Julien Delannoy
20. Wiaan Liebenberg
21. Benoit Paillaugue
22. Timoci Nagusa
23. Joffrey Michel

At least Cruden is out, not as good as Sexton but a big loss none the less. I can't believe RO'L was dropped... Going to the skies again against two wingers who are easy to turn I guess.

Ster by <7

Latest posts