• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Champions Cup Format

NCN24

Academy Player
I know we have had enough champions cup formats over the years but what if we get all URC, Top 14 and Premiership teams so 40 teams and add another 8 teams from other European competitions giving us 48 teams. We then designate 2 of the other teams as top 14 teams and the other 6 teams at premiership teams. Then we draw the teams and make pools like the current ones. Then the top 2 from each group play in the champions cup round of 16 and the 3/4 placed teams play for the challenge cup. The bottom 2 teams play for the 3rd competition with the finals of all three played at the finals weekend.

4 pools of 4.
4 Prem teams,
6 T14 teams,
5 URC teams (excepting Saffers)
Previous year's Challenge Cup winners.

Challenge Cup for the next 4, 6, 5 and 1
European Plate for the rest + Georgians, Romanians, Spanish, Portugese etc.

I know we have had enough champions cup formats over the years but what if we get all URC, Top 14 and Premiership teams so 40 teams and add another 8 teams from other European competitions giving us 48 teams. We then designate 2 of the other teams as top 14 teams and the other 6 teams at premiership teams. Then we draw the teams and make pools like the current ones. Then the top 2 from each group play in the champions cup round of 16 and the 3/4 placed teams play for the challenge cup. The bottom 2 teams play for the 3rd competition with the finals of all three played at the finals weekend.
I can see this idea working as it would give everyone a guaranteed 5 matches, with at least 2 at home.
I would also keep the double week for knockouts, as I don't see travel a problem, (it works in NFL).
I would also have the semis played at the higher ranked team, with only the neutral venue for final.

Latest posts