• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Investec Champions Cup 23/24 - Rd 3

I like how Jalibert actively throws himself into people after kicks, like he was fully airborne when he went into the Sarries player's back then

I really do hate to say it and I'm by absolutely no means saying he should get back into the England fold but Sarries have looked a different side since Billy's come on.

I don't mean the official account, it obviously won't mention any other games. Just very prominent posters who media feed off, it's boring as anything to go after a guy who'd been struggling for form. And I'm not having any of that post, no one here is comparing Larmour to Nash, Michael Jordan levels of making up slights down there around international windows. A bad feeling for Munster never really existed here even when they were the better side, it's changed the last 6 months because of rubbish like this being constant for seasons now.

Most Leinster fans on twitter don't think he should start for Leinster let alone Ireland, very little talk of him in an Irish 23:

Oh ******* hell is James Lowe still a thing. A thing with the hair.

Oh ******* hell is James Lowe still a thing. A thing with the hair.
Can I juat add to this and @Bigger Gingerer 8 you said here on this site "A bad feeling for Munster never really existed here even when they were the better side, it's changed the last 6 months because of rubbish like this being constant for seasons now." I didn't see anything on this site.

But equally still a bit confused why you don't feel same way for equal stuff going other way like off a quick search (some on here from including yourself albeit not as bad as Leinsterfans or Munsterfans) Keith Earls, POM, Mike Haley, Billy Holland, CJ Stander, John Ryan (for his medical issues) Kilcoyne and Jean Kleyn to mention a few got great abuse. Admitted Conan, Larmour (again though very little I think) Dave and Rob Kearney, Dev Toner and Heaslip got it opposite wat to say a few. Ruddock too and Madigan. And I too have given some like you but never in a personal level.

Don't think Jimmy O Brien ever got much. Regardless half was because they were probably hyped up based on very little game time. But again upon doing research it does seem to be very much 2 way stuff based on a rivalry. Like think it was strange you tunnel visioned though. Like even the post youbattached their literally trys to stir it as their add on post is Larmour nailed on for Ireland.

Also off topic a good debate was on radio today. Now Gavan Casey was man with this but was interesting. After European final last year a load of Leinster fans were asked about styles etc and said they'd rather loose playing expansive and adventurous rugby than go down the power and limit game.
Now Leinster are trying to play that limit and power game where do they stand and do fans change their tune now that whole approach has changed. They are aiming at South African signings exclusively and the approach is limited rugby.
Don't get me wrong it is a clear vision and does have potential to win 100% but is an issue if meeting teams who can match power. I know that from when we had Rassie and Van Graan. We have changed now and are getting better results but Lwinster have better squad. Do ye think this style can do the business. Especially when you factor the gameplan will only really settle in from prob March onwards.
It kind of will hurt Ireland slightly though

I'm now completely not buying the argument that the Premiership is weak and is the root cause of England's struggles. The performances of the likes of Bath, Saints, Exeter and to a lesser extent Quins put paid to that argument.

The talent is there. It's down to Borthwick to get the best out of it.

Let's see how our clubs get on towards the pointy end. I think there was some justification for that argument.

Saints and Bath are undoubtedly much better teams than they were and Chiefs are re-emerging which are all good.

Sometimes hard to tell with the Champions Cup with weakened teams etc. But on the evidence of this weekend:

Good, but narrow, home wins for Bath (excellent game) and Chiefs. Saints and Quins handed out so what drubbings to poor opposition. Bristol and Sale lost to Saffers while Sarries and Tigers were handed their backsides on French plates.

Some encouraging signs but I'm not breaking out the champagne just yet.

Totally agree though that successive coaching regimes haven't got the best out of the available players.

Let's see how our clubs get on towards the pointy end. I think there was some justification for that argument.

Saints and Bath are undoubtedly much better teams than they were and Chiefs are re-emerging which are all good.

Sometimes hard to tell with the Champions Cup with weakened teams etc. But on the evidence of this weekend:

Good, but narrow, home wins for Bath (excellent game) and Chiefs. Saints and Quins handed out so what drubbings to poor opposition. Bristol and Sale lost to Saffers while Sarries and Tigers were handed their backsides on French plates.

Some encouraging signs but I'm not breaking out the champagne just yet.

Totally agree though that successive coaching regimes haven't got the best out of the available players.
England has always had decent talent.

Just seems to be some problem positions and English clubs success in europe doesn't mean those positions are sorted either.

I don't think there is a single English club that could compete with a full bore Leinster, La Rochelle, Toulouse, Bordeaux espcially away from home. Honestly don't think the English clubs would be within a score either

England has always had decent talent.

Just seems to be some problem positions and English clubs success in europe doesn't mean those positions are sorted either.

I don't think there is a single English club that could compete with a full bore Leinster, La Rochelle, Toulouse, Bordeaux espcially away from home. Honestly don't think the English clubs would be within a score either
A] I think it's a touch early to count Bordeaux in amongst the galacticos
B] It depends on the narrative that's being addressed.
I don't think I ever saw a narrative of "England don't have a club amongst the best of the best, top 4 in Europe (therefore we must change the system and double to triple the salary cap to compete with the top 4" But I've seen a lot of narrative of "English clubs are frankly just a bit ****, we can't compete in Europe, and will be lucky to get more than 1 club as far as a quarter-final, and that's likely to be down to the draw (therefore we must change the system and increase the salary cap so that we can at least be competitive)"
The first narrative is accurate, and should be responded to with a "so what? we don't have an automatic right to be, and these things are cyclical" whilst the first was always hyperbole.

NB: I say that as someone who's been wanting to restructure* the top 20-24 English clubs for the best part of 20 years.

* 10 on top, 14 below, "proper" competition between the two, proper exposure for both. Concentrate talent at the top, increase variety of opposition, increase exposure to knock-out rugby.

Last edited:

Latest posts