• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

European Rugby Challenge Cup Qualifying Competition

The top 6 teams all won both of their home games.
The teams that qualify are the ones lucky enough to get an away game against CDUL, and the ones that were able to rack up 4 bonus points.

As it turns out,.it doesn't matter what competition it is, things work the exact same way at all levels if European club rugby.

The teams that qualify are the ones lucky enough to get an away game against CDUL, and the ones that were able to rack up 4 bonus points.

As it turns out, it doesn't matter what level of competition it is, things work exactly the same way at all levels of European club rugby.

Well, the pattern picked all the winners, but the margins went way higher.
In the 6 minutes of the Timisoara game I saw, they looked way dominant. What went wrong for them?

They're also the champions of 4 different countries, but that only says anything about Italy.

I have to say it worked out perfectly for Heidelberg. They're still underdogs but they have a real shot at making the final now

The fixtures in the first leg of the semifinals are rather deja vu - Batumi vs Timisoara and Heidelberg vs Calvisano.
Let me guess, both home teams win again...

Good predictions! I'm quite happy to see four leagues represented in the knock out stages as it shows potential for this competition if only the EPRC could raise its profile.

I read that these knock out stages will be two legged?

I read that these knock out stages will be two legged?
Yes, except for the Continental Shield Final between the two eventual Challenge Cup qualifiers. That way it matches the number of fixtures in the Champions- and Challenge Cups. Not sure if it was a deliberate calculation, or just because that's how it was always done when it was still called the 'qualifying competition'.

I can't decide if a two-legged SF is better for Heidelberg... it nixes Calvisano's home advantage, but also moderates the influence of luck.

Heidelberg's SFs are on the same weekends as match days 5 & 6 of those comps (Jan 13/20). Presumably the qualification finals will be on the same weekends as the Challenge Cup QFs and SF, (unless Krasny Yar magically makes the QFs...), and presumably all 3 grand finals will be on the same weekend. Looks like they're all in the same stadium in Bilbao too.

So in the first leg of the SF between the German and Italian champions...

Heidelberg spends 20 minutes with 14 men, during which they concede 21 points (but score 7).
But during the other 66 minutes, Heidelberg have the advantage by 27 - 8, leaving them with a 5 point lead going into the second leg.

If they can avoid getting carded in Italy next week, they have a real chance!
(Even considering that they lost that fixture last season by 60 - 19)

Did anyone watch Batumi vs Timisoara?

Heidelberg actually won! Not just on aggregate, but both legs. German clubs are better than Italian clubs :D

The qualifying final will be Timisoara vs Heidelberg...

Is there a chance that the Timisoara v HRK game will be streamed online? liveonsat.com lists it for TVR Timisoara, but I just checked their stream with a Romanian IP and it said they don't have online rights for their content, so I guess they don't? @amz, do you know anything?

Is there a chance that the Timisoara v HRK game will be streamed online? liveonsat.com lists it for TVR Timisoara, but I just checked their stream with a Romanian IP and it said they don't have online rights for their content, so I guess they don't? @amz, do you know anything?
As far as I know it will be for sure on TV here and signal is provided to Italian organizers. Not sure about online, I ll ask around I travel for few days and didnt followed this aspect

From other posters from different forum:

Timisoara v Heidelberg live (tomorrow afternoon) on Tvr Timisoara

No streaming outside Romania, unfortunately http://www.tvrplus.ro/live-tvr-timisoara

I have tried to find aa "unofficial" link for viewers outside Romania, it doesn't work unless a VPN is used.
For brighter minds than mine, maybe this will help, I'm guessing it might help though I can't understand exactly what they're on about (somehow to play the channels using some plugin for VLC.... :?

https://github.com/streamlink/streamlink/issues/586[/quote]

From other posters from different forum:

I have tried to find aa "unofficial" link for viewers outside Romania, it doesn't work unless a VPN is used.
For brighter minds than mine, maybe this will help, I'm guessing it might help though I can't understand exactly what they're on about (somehow to play the channels using some plugin for VLC.... :?

https://github.com/streamlink/streamlink/issues/586[/quote]
Thank you so much for looking into it! I don't understand that site either, but a Romanian IP is no problem for me. I'll see if the link will work then.

Herr Wild is raiding his French team for talent now - Prop Siegfried Fisiihoi (2 caps for Tonga, 12 Top14 caps with Stade Francais and 22 Super Rugby caps with the Chiefs) is transferred to Heidelberg and will play against Timisoara.

Last edited:
I've seen the match and Timisoara was disappointing to allow HRK to close the margin in last minutes.

The positives:

- team moved better than vs CSM Bucuresti two weeks ago, far far better without Seniloli at SH. Even young Rupanu coming from the bench did better than the Fijian international who is just a source of confusion. He does not communicate and when he makes a mistake he keep give hospital passes for minutes. Luiters as starter is trying to conduct the game, he's involved very well in organizing the attack, a true leader who likes to take responsability. The forwards were better compared with their last match, less penalties, scrum was dominant so the lineout. I need to see more of them but it seems that new Argentinean forwards coach have a new approach.

- Popa is solid in defense, less in attack but he seem to direct the defense and act as a TDM. He tries visibly to vary his game as much as possible and his positioning tricks as 13 reminds me (keeping the proportions of course) of Conrad Smith. He tries to read the game, anticipate and think which is great, he show concern in being a tactical asset for the team and he's trying to have a tidy game, always looking for the open space to cover in defense or open space to exploit in attack. Solid in tackle, he needs more training to be an asset in attack.

- Lemnaru had finally a brave approach. He used to be best Romanian winger, close to Fercu as value but a Achilles tendon injury put him on bench for more than an year and when he come back he looked reserved and hesitant in contact against good opposition. Today he was fearless and scored a spectacular try in a counter attack created by Conache. The way he scored show he seem to regain his courage and trust in himself, he virtually went trough German defender without any fuss.

The negatives:

- bench become a little thin after they loaned some players or released them of contract. Didn't helped their cause to have a hooker coming from the bench in backrow because of injuries or players released at U20 national team.

- lack of focus in last minute and they gave away 10 easy points to HRK ; some players can't keep up with the rest of the team and I think they should look well at the actual U20 crop and try to sign 1-2 backrowers and 1 frontrow. Some players seem to be there only for fun, less for serious rugby and it is never good to underestimate the opponent. certainly the 4th place in Super Liga reflects the actual status of the team which is far from the form they showed last years. They need a head coach able to cope with the stars of the team and put them to work.

Latest posts