• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Evans backs himself to play this saturday

I

Incredible Schalk

http://www.rugbyworld.com/Story/0,18830,3551_3322438,00.html

Concussed Blues fly-half Nick Evans has backed himself to recover in time for his team's Super 14 battle with the Stormers at Eden Park on Saturday.

Evans was forced to leave the field when accidently struck by team-mate Nick Williams' elbow during the defeat to the Western Force at North Harbour Stadium last weekend.

The All Black star said on Wednesday that he was feeling physically much better than the morning after the 27-17 loss to the Force.

"I felt like I had St Paddy's Day on Saturday and woke up on Sunday feeling pretty ordinary, but I've been pretty good the last couple of days," Evans told NZPA.

"It's all new to me," he said of getting a heavy blow to the head.

"It's the first one that I've had, so we'll treat the symptoms as they come."

Blues coach David Nucifora is set to name his matchday 22 to face the Stormers in Auckland on Thursday.

Evans took it easy in training early this week but, based on his present state, believed he would be able to take his place in the side.

Results from psychometric testing had been positive and it was now more a case of how he went on the practice paddock.

"If it was up to me, I'd be out there doing all the training and wanting to play as soon as possible," said Evans.

"But I have to be careful and take some account of my own health and the health of the team as well."

Evans has been in good early season form and was confident the injury would not halt his momentum.

"Head knocks happen out of the blue and anyone could fall victim," he said.

"I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.

"Hopefully, if I play this Saturday, I'll improve on what I've been doing the first half of the season."

I cant believe he could be back playing this weekend, i thought it was a great coup for the Stormers to have him injured but now hes back i see the game being completely different. It looked like he was going to be out for atleast a month as well, great news for Blues supporters.

First concussion ever? That's pretty lucky for a pro rugby player.

Who will fill in his spot if he doesn't get picked?

He got quite a nasty knock to the knee a few games ago. He didn't play in the last 2 games. I don't think he's gonna be back anytime soon

They are thinking of putting Toeava as a replacement is Evans is ruled out. They still leaving the option of starting rookie Lachie Munroe

If I was coach, I would back Munro to start at 10. He may be a rookie, but he has done enough for Auckland to impress me. Leave the Stanley & Toeava combo alone. Maybe name Evans on the bench (if he's OK to play) to be our Plan B if everything doesnt go well.

If I was coach, I would back Munro to start at 10. He may be a rookie, but he has done enough for Auckland to impress me. Leave the Stanley & Toeava combo alone. Maybe name Evans on the bench (if he's OK to play) to be our Plan B if everything doesnt go well.

[/b]

yeah thats my thinking aswell. yes toeava will do ok at 5/8, but that means he will have to learn new combinations and play in a position he hasnt in 2 years or so. remembering that this will be our 3rd string fly half. i think that it will be best to bring in munro because he did play well for auckland. sure a rookie, but it leaves the rest of the backline strong. and i myself, wouldnt risk evans with a concussion, if he feels ok for this week, play him next, because if he gets concussed again, thats a season. or carrer.

Well, it seems Nuci has named him anyway.

Blues:
15. George Pisi, 14. Anthony Tuitavake, 13. Isaia Toeava, 12. Benson Stanley, 11. Rudi Wulf, 10. Nick Evans, 9. Danny Lee, 8. Nick Williams, 7. Daniel Braid, 6. Jerome Kaino, 5. Troy Flavell [C], 4. Kurtis Haiu, 3. John Afoa, 2. Keven Mealamu, 1. Nick White
Reserves: 16. Tom McCartney, 17. Tony Woodcock, 18. Bryn Evans, 19. Justin Collins, 20. Taniela Moa, 21. Ben Atiga, 22. Joe Rokocoko

starts Pisi at fullback (excellent move) then does the opposite by benching Woodcock for White...WTF!!!

Wulf deserves another start and give Roks a chance for a breather....but to be unleashed in the 2nd half.

Good to see Braid back at 7.

10 bucks Burger will try to take out Evans head... :p

Man that elbow from WIlliams was nasty I saw that live and it didn't look fun. Hope he's ok for Friday though

10 bucks Burger will try to take out Evans head... :p

[/b]

You know i wouldn't be surprised lol... Well they have got to move out as much as possible to the contact area (particularly defense) otherwise he'll be fine i reckon.

Shux i hope they win... ****** me off how they have 3 excellent wins and then gets big headed then drop 2 games. Argh! lol

Excellent to see Braid in!! All Black this year fo Sho' lol

Hmmm.. very interesting indeed. They must be very wary of the threat the Stormers pose

Hmmm.. very interesting indeed. They must be very wary of the threat the Stormers pose
[/b]

Righty so B) ,also for a team of the Blues calibre to lose three games in a row is unthinkable.

Yeah Good battle against the CHAAAAVANGA lol isee Wulf getting burnt a few time dang namit

Where the f*** is David Smith?

He is ten times the player Rudi Wulf is. [/b]

There is the rare occasion that I feel sorry for Auckland supporters and having nucifora as a coach is one of them.

Latest posts